Help Eliminating "Mac Look"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MaxBuck, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MaxBuck macrumors newbie

OK, I had a FUBAR with Parallels Desktop and now I can only see Vista in the "Mac Look" mode. Which of course defeats the Aero function, which I need. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sounds like you are in Coherence view. Change the View back to Window. That should return the Windows desktop.

3. MaxBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not in Coherence mode. Can't get into Coherence mode because Parallels Tools refuses to install correctly (though the Installation Wizard provides no indication that installation has not been completed). This Mac Look theme arises whether I'm running Vista in Parallels or in Boot Camp.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Can you provide a screen shot? I can't picture what "Mac Look" means. Anyway, Parallels doesn't have a "Mac theme" that I'm aware of. It provides a virtual machine and drivers to go along with it. That should only affect color depth, resolution, and ability to do certain effects (like Aero). When booting from Boot Camp, Windows would use either its default video drivers or Apple's Boot Camp driver. (btw: have you tried reinstalling the Apple BC drivers?)

When a BC installation of Windows is setup for use with Parallels, it provides separate boot h/w configurations - one for BC and one for Parallels VM. You should be able to see the automatic selection of the proper one during boot (I forget the function key, but you can stop/step through the boot process and check the list of configurations - there should be two.)

5. MaxBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, since I have no external keyboard, I don't know how to get a screen shot in Vista (there's no "printScreen" key on the MBP keyboard).

How do I reload the "Boot Camp Driver?" I assume it should be found in the Drivers folder; do you know what it's called?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If the "Mac Look" is the same in Parallels, you can use the standard OS-X method of obtaining screen shots (cmd-shift-3, for full screen; cmd-shift-4 for manual selection).

The Apple BC drivers are on the Leopard or Snow Leopard install DVD. The installer should auto-run when you insert the DVD.

7. MaxBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm not seeing what part is the "Mac Look". I assume both windows are on top of a green Window's desktop.

I don't have Vista for reference, unfortunately, so I'm not familiar with what user options are available. But, again, I don't see any particular "Mac Look".

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That looks like a theme you installed within Vista itself. You need to find it and uninstall it, or at least switch the theme back to default.

10. MaxBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved the problem myself. Had to completely remove Parallels Tools (from within Vista), then re-install it.

After that was accomplished (which required a couple more re-boots), I had to enter Crystal mode, then toggle Mac Look on and off once, then go back into Window mode and re-set the theme to Windows Aero in Control Panel.

Whew.

11. MaxBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. That's a theme that can be loaded using Parallels Desktop. It's visible in the "View" menu scrolldown. This "Mac Look" theme is not otherwise available in Vista.