HELP! How can I get my iPHONE 5 UNLOCKED?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Winter504, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Winter504 macrumors newbie

My friend just bought the 5s so she gave me her AT&T iPHONE5 but I need it to be unlocked for metropcs lol. Every mobile store that fixes and unlocks phones said they can not unlock the 5 anymore. Can anyone help me? Inform me of places I am in the bay area right now.

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

As of right now, the only way to unlock is through AT&T and only if you have an AT&T account and even then they might not do it. You can use it as an iPod or sell it on Craigslist or eBay and then buy an unlocked iPhone 5.

3. Winter504 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you damn because she restored the phone I can not even use it until I get it unlocked.

4. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Here are eligibility requirements and instructions for requesting an unlock from AT&T:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

If it is out of contract term or she paid an ETF, then it's pretty simple. If it is still under contract, it will be difficult to get it unlocked. There are some exceptions such as for military deployment, so read the eligibility requirements and see what applies to you.

5. Solowalker macrumors regular

If it's worth that much to you, I'd recommend getting it officially unlocked through chronicunlocks.com. Quick and painless. Unfortunately right now, it's a bit expensive. But it's official and permanent so you'll never have to worry about it again. You should consider it.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Since your friend just gave it to you, then just pay an unlocking service and it is permanent. Many services out there with a quick search of the internet. Will be a bit expensive but worth it. Or ask your friend if they can get it unlocked for you through AT&T.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You all people are proving the OP with false information. There is no way for your AT&T iPhone to work with MetroPCS. Different cellular technology.

Hence it doesn't matter if you unlock it or not. It will not work. You'd be better off selling it and getting the MetroPCS version.

8. Solowalker, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Solowalker macrumors regular

Ah, I missed that. Thanks. You are correct that an AT&T phone won't work on MetroPCS since far as I know they are currently a CDMA provider (since T-Mobile owns them now, this may change in the future). A GSM phone like an AT&T iPhone 5 still needs a GSM provider to work (i.e. Most providers with a SIM card).

In that case your best bet would be to sell it on Craigslist or something and buy one compatible with MetroPCS.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Need I bold it for you?

10. Solowalker macrumors regular

Dude, no need to be a jerk about it. There's a difference between not reading the post and glossing over two words ("for metropcs"). Sorry, man. I already acknowledged it and amended the info in another reply. What more do you want? Hope you get over it soon.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Will a Verizon 5S work with metro ? Im pretty sure the Verizon 5S works with 99% of carriers in world (except Sprint)

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yes, any verizon CDMA phone should work with metro pcs.