HELP: How do I buy Snow Leopard for my PC??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dawgma, Sep 8, 2009.

1. dawgma macrumors newbie

I just bought a new PC notebook and I have never owned a copy of OSX before. I want to dual boot Windows and OSX on this notebook.

However I've discovered that there is apparently no such thing as a "full version" of Snow Leopard online or in stores. Snow Leopard is only offered as a upgrade to previous versions...

So then I tried to look for OSX 10.5 but it's not available in Apple's store or online retailers like Amazon either! It has been discontinued!

This seems absolutely retarded to me. I want buy a legitimate copy of Snow Leopard for my PC and Apple doesn't seem to want to help me out with that. They only offer 10.6 as an upgrade... and 10.5 and lower versions have been discontinued from every authorized retailer that I've looked up. Apparently Apple is not interested in expanding its user base??

I'm from Toronto Canada and I need to find a Canadian retailer that will sell 10.5... is there anyone who knows where I can find a copy?

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

You have it reversed. You can't buy SL for a PC. You should of bought a Mac and bought Windows for that.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't sell Mac OS X for installation on PCs. You should check out the Hackintosh thread.

5. dawgma thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am serious. If you own a legitimate copy of OSX aren't you able to install it to a PC? There are numerous tutorials around the web that show it being done.

Well I was hoping to get a legitimate version of OSX... I don't want to have to install a pirated version of 10.5 just to upgrade to 10.6.

If I could buy a copy of 10.5 shouldn't I be able to install it on a PC??

6. rfrankl macrumors 6502

It's a violation of Apple's user agreement.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Not easily.

8. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

What laptop do you own? What graphics card does it have?

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There is no upgrade version of 10.6. Every 10.6 disc will upgrade an Intel Mac running any (or no) OS.

It is possible to hack OS X to run on certain non Apple hardware.

10. dawgma thread starter macrumors newbie

ASUS G51-RX05 with the 260M graphics card.

11. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

In short: If you buy the Family Pack, you have a full version for 150-ish dollars. That means you're not in violation of the part of the EULA that says that you have to upgrade, but you're still in violation as you'll be installing it on a PC.
    If you just buy the $29 SL version, you're in violation of the EULA on two counts.
    If you download it from a torrent or something though, you're in violation of the EULA and the law.

So you decide :)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no such thing as a legitimate copy of Mac OS X that can be installed on a PC. Installation of Mac OS X on anything other than a Mac is a violation of their license agreement. Just buy a Mac. Apple makes Mac OS X ONLY for Macs. Microsoft doesn't build PCs. They just sell their OS to manufacturers. Apple is a software AND hardware company.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fixed that for you.

14. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Come on, guys! Unlike thousands of leeches who are installing Mac OS on their PCs from torrented DVDs, this guy actually wants to give Apple some money.
    YES; it's very much against the EULA, but noone has ever TMK been punished for this, so I think we should push him gently towards getting a Mac, but still give him the correct answers and not treat him like a mangy dog.

You're only reinforcing the elitist mac-fanboi stereotype :(

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since the OP said he wanted a legitimate copy of Mac OS X, the correct answer is that it's against Apple's EULA to install it on a PC. No one is treating him like a "mangy dog". We answered his question. It has nothing to do with being elitist or a "fanboi". It's simply the truth.

16. dawgma thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, So I just got off the phone with Apple's main customer service line (I had previously spoken to just my local Apple store rep who apparently didn't know much and told me 10.5 had been discontinued).

The service rep said YES I can buy a copy of 10.5 directly over the phone for $129 CAD. And YES I can install it on a PC based system but I forefeit any support while it's running on a PC based system. It is absolutely NOT ILLEGAL to install it on a PC. It will remain legitimate but just unsupported.. and that doesn't bother me at all.

So that's it. If I buy a legitimate copy of 10.5 I can install it on whatever system I please.

So... yeah... thanks for all the misinformation guys. I came to Mac Rumors thinking I could get a clear answer... I assumed you guys knew a thing or two about Macs. But most of you have just proved to me you really don't know what you're talking about. Way to strengthen that sterotype about the misinformed Mac user...

17. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Funniest thread i've read in a while: Snow Leopard on a PC :rolleyes:

Just seems so cruel (to SL), and so wrong :rolleyes:

18. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Dude, you can hardly call it illegitimate if he payed for it. It might be against Apples guidelines and EULA to install it on a PC, but those things have NEVER worked in court cases, and these days are generally read only by lawyers to make sure there are no PR nightmares.

Well, I'll be installing it on my PC at home as soon as I get home from vacation. It'll be an upgrade from the Leopard I've had installed and used as my main computer for almost a year. I assure you, no cats were harmed in the process. :)
    http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You have heard of Apple,Inc. v. Psystar haven't you?

Any Apple rep that told you you could install it on a PC is full of it. Or you are outright lying.

20. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The $169 box set is a full version (not upgrade) and comes with ilife and iwork.

21. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You mean the still-unsettled case where Apple is suing not for breaking the EULA but for copyright infringement?
    Yes, that has nothing to do with this.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Now what copyright infringement would that be? OH! I know.. The one where a company is selling "PC's" with OSX installed on them.
    :rolleyes:

23. dawgma thread starter macrumors newbie

Go ahead. Call them. I dialed 1-800-MY-APPLE.

It's amazing that you have such a hard time believing that it's possible to legitmately install OSX on a PC that you think I must be lying.

Call them.

At first when you tell the rep that you want to install on a PC they will inform you that it may not work and that it would be unsupported. They try to disuade you from installing on a PC which is understandable. But then I told the rep that assuming OSX runs fine and that I don't care about it being supported, is it in any way illegal to install OSX on a PC? He said in no uncertain terms that it is not illegal. If I can get OSX to run on any machine, then I have the right to use it on that machine. The only thing I lose is support.

That's it.

24. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

No, that would be the cracked/backported drivers and applications that they use to make it work.
    Apple decided not to use the EULA in the case, because they would be the first company to EVER sue due to a EULA, and that's some thin ice.

At least get your facts straight...

25. dawgma thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. You are quoting a case that is completely irrelevant to my situation.

Don't you understand the difference between being a consumer who owns a single licence and a company that is reselling a product?

Honestly...