HELP! I want iPhone but ATT is ruining it for me...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brendu, Jun 23, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

Hey guys i need some help here... Im currently on a family plan with sprint and the contract ends in a few weeks.. We have been planning on switching the 4 phone numbers over to ATT so we can get iphones but i just found out last night each phone has to have the $30 data monthly fee, as well as the complete absurd unlimited texting fees... with sprint i pay $5 a month for unlimited texts.. ATT its $20, $30 if i get it for the whole fam. I also heard that applecare does NOT cover water damage... thats pretty lame if true. Can anyone confirm all this for me, and if it is true, then convince me why its worth it when 4 phones will cost over $260 when im paying 180 right now...

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's all true. If you don't want to pay for it, don't buy it.

3. pugnut macrumors 6502a

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Definately a rip-off. I wouldn't buy it if I were you! :rolleyes:

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

If you don't think its worth it then its not worth it. Why convince you into something you don't believe in?

6. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Well, it's an iPhone, you store your music on it (no need for an iPod anymore), it has an autofocus camera that is good enough to replace your digital camera, and I don't know if you have internet with your sprint phones but the iPhone Data takes it further with the App Store since you get to use your phone in so many different ways (TV guide, Skype, Unit converter, voice recorder), and you even get the best feature of the phone: the Maps portion. No matter where you are, your phone can find you with GPS and you can use an App while in the car to find some good shopping center or food place if you guys travel. I agree, texting is ridiculous with AT&T, since a phone tower emits packets of data with a phone to keep in contact with it, and all text messages are is the phone attaching the text to these little packets, it hardly costs anything, but put it this way: you will get MMS (which I'm sure you already have with sprint), but with the iPhone's camera, pictures and videos will be the best quality in the entire phone business, and you can even send voice recordings and map locations via MMS. I think it's worth it, my entire family switched from Verizon to AT&T and it's changed the way that my family interacts with each other (I can talk to my friends in India and Switzerland on Skype for no charge via Wi-Fi when I'm at my house). Try it out, I think you guys will really appreciate Apple. Apple has always been innovative, don't let its carrier distract you from an amazing phone. IF you guys would like to, you could wait a year for an even better iPhone 4G next year, but I think you'll like the iPhone 3GS.

7. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

You may be eligible for a discount of sort depending on your situation; employer, student, or armed services -- www.att.com/wirelessdiscounts

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

This is a joke, right?

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

The texting plan is NOT required that I know of.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sadly, "that's the facts JACK!" Some people just can't afford the iPhone or AT&T's data/text message plans; and are unwilling to make the switch. I have friends and family that have gone from Sprint to T-Mobile v. AT&T with the iPhone, so that might be an option as well.:(:(:(:eek::eek::eek:

I came from Sprint to AT&T after 10 years of the worst customer service and every time I picked up my phone with Sprint, they would extend my contract without my consent or knowledge. Haven't had that problem with AT&T YET....

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

If you can afford the extra $80 a month, then do it, if not, then don't.

Need anymore convincing? :confused:

12. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

OF course iPhone doesn't have the best camera, but it's still great quality, I mean what phone allows you to edit videos like you can on the iPhone and then send them to YouTube, email, or MMS them?

13. goodcow macrumors 6502a

And if he does, he likely has the same employer discount option with Sprint then, so it'll still be far cheaper.

The iPhone is a great phone, but AT&T is a terrible wireless provider.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is all true, OP. However, only you can decide if it is worth it.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Buy 3G and unlock it for T-Mobile, and buy insurance from State Farm.

There, your problems are solved.

16. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

I'm having the same problem...I really want to buy a new Mercedes, but the local Mercedes dealership is ruining it for me. Can you believe they want me to pay $60,000? I only paid $4,500 for my 97' Honda Civic! What a rip off!!!!

What should I do?!?!?

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Shoulda bought a ...

Wait ... You shouldn't buy the iPhone, there is no MMS.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Buy a GM, they are selling for about $4,500 BRAND NEW....:D:D:D

19. dagomike macrumors 65816

Do all your Sprint phones have unlimited data? Do they all have unlimited texting? If no, then you're getting more services for that higher rate also.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Except the fact that he'll be stuck on EDGE, still have to get the data plan if he wants to take advantage of the phone's features and will be SOL if the phone breaks and needs to have it replaced under warranty, oh, and don't forget that used 3Gs are still selling at pretty high prices and a subsidized 3GS is likely cheaper than a used 3G.

21. pikester macrumors newbie

pikester

Let's see, you are wanting 4 iPhones at an initial cost of $800 (minimum); that will be $90 per month on a family plan. Are you required to get a data plan for each of them, yes; that will be $30 per month. Are you required to get unlimited texting for each, no; you have the option of $0 for 0 messages, $5 for 200, $15 for 1500, or $20 for unlimited (this can be separate per phone). That is $210 a month with no texting, $290 with unlimited.

Question for you: Is it important to have an iPhone for everyone on the plan? If not, you can always get a free phone (or minimal cost phone) and not worry about the data plan.

22. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Phone can be covered under State Farm's personal article warranty if destroyed via water damage. Any other type of manufacturer defect is still covered by Applecare, which he is NOT SOL if he restores his phone to factory condition.

Do the math, 30 * 12 = $360, that itself pays for the used 3G on eBay. His concern is more with the monthly fee, less for the cost of phone. As for not being able to use 3G, it is what it is. Plus wifi is everywhere now.

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

im guessing that 4 lines isnt 3 "significant others"
    get the wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend (whichever it happens to be) an iPhone, along with yourself, and get the kids something not quite so pricey. That way, you cut 60 bucks off

also, the unlimited texting isnt necessary (although, if you have teenagers, it actually is. haha)

sprint provides much better plan pricing. But, as much as people hate ATT, sprint is, overall, not as strong as a network. True, its the fastest, but it doesn't cover as large of an area as ATT. This is why they can sell their plans for less. They arent providing their service in as large of an area (thats why the smaller, lesser known cellphone companies can charge even less than sprint. $80 for unlimited anything on 4 lines? I'm sorry, but theres no way that you get the same coverage as ATT with a company like that. Otherwise ATT wouldnt be in business)

in the end, your getting a far superior cell phone. But you cant expect to pay the same cheap price. A premium product comes at a premium price. I would love a Lamborghini. But obviously, my Saab isnt going to cost the same as a Lamborghini. Its not a rip off, its just a higher quality vehicle. If you need its features and can afford it, then buy it. Otherwise, stick with what works for you featurewise and costwise

and dont forget, there ARE other options, even though people on these forums will claim there arent.

I almost ditched ATT and the iPhone for a Palm Pre. Imo its an absolutley gorgeous and functional phone. Plus, it can cut cheese! haha

24. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Seriously why should we convince you? If you want the phone take the plunge, if not dont buy it simple as that. The device in itself is 100% worth it as in eliminates the need and extra baggage of carrying a ipod, you get amazing apps for pretty much every lifestyle. If your complaining about atts prices wait until you start looking at some of the apps on the app store =D.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Instead of getting individual texting on 4 iPhones, get the family unlimited texting for $30/month.