Help Installing Snow Leopard over Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevenmettler, Apr 10, 2011.

1. stevenmettler macrumors newbie

Hello. I've looked everywhere on the internet for this answer.
    I have a Mac Desktop with a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo. It's currently running OS X version 10.4.11.
    I want to install snow leopard on it. I have a disc from a Macbook Pro that runs Snow Leopard, and every time I put the disc into my Mac, it'll get the installer ready, then it'll say "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." It doesn't say why, or anything. I've tried to make a disk partition, but every time I try it is locked and wont let me partition my main disk. I don't really know too much about this stuff, so please help?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The copy that comes with a computer can only used for that specific computer generation / model.

Buy Snow Leopard for $29.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Snow Leopard is an upgrade to Leopard. That's why it costs only $29 in the USA. Installing it on a Mac that doesn't have Leopard installed is illegal. Second, only the Snow Leopard DVDs that you can buy at a store for $29 are upgrades to Leopard. The DVD that came with another computer is solely for installing the software on that computer, and not any other computer. Installing it on any other computer than the one it came with is illegal.

The cheapest legal way to get Snow Leopard on a computer running 10.4 is buying the Mac Box Set for $129 which contains Snow Leopard, iWork and iLife. At the very least you could buy the $29 upgrade DVD and _pretend_ that you don't know it is only for Macs with Leopard installed.