Help! iOS 8 auto downloading. How to stop?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by diane143, Sep 18, 2014.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I updated to iOS 7 last night. I woke up to find the phone updating to iOS 8! The ipad is not.

How did this happen and how do I stop it? I've turned off wifi for the time being.

Thanks!

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You may have turned on Background App Refresh ( Settings -> General ).

To stop it, I have no better guess than to power off the iPhone. Ah, I see you switched off WIFI. Good :) .

3. diane143, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I powered it off too. Sheesh what a mess. But if I put it back on wifi it resumes.

----------

Background app refresh was on. But will that control the OS as well? It's on on the ipad too and that didn't update. That apparently turns off location which I need for maps.

I'm guessing I got the notification the update was ready and I must've hit OK - the phone is next to me in bed. When I plugged it back in, it started.

Now I just need to stop it permanently!

As soon as I reconnect to wifi, it starts up again.

My other issue is that I've always backed up the phone to my G4 desktop. Last night I backed up to my laptop and now it won't connect to the desktop since it's an old version of iTunes. So I'm afraid I may lose something if I do a restore from the laptop. I know I can move my iTunes library over, I just can't manage all that before work today.

Also, I now have a 6 & 7 backup on the laptop. I backed up 6 to the cloud before updating to 7. So my latest icloud backup is iOS 6, and I can't update again without reconnecting to wifi, which resumes the download.

I also managed to update all my apps (second time I've done that while falling asleep - ugh). I just don't know if I can do a restore of 7 from my laptop and then refresh from my icloud backup of 6 again for the rest of the stuff. I wouldn't mind having a few of my older versions back again.

I had to do a reset a few months ago and it all went well with 6 but now this is a mix. <sigh>

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

5. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one yet. I can keep it off for a day or so.

6. SilentFisher macrumors member

You need to disable autoamtic updates in settings too.

7. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was off. I'm guessing I hit it in my sleep or something, I was laying on the phone when I woke up. Autodownloads are only on for music and books

8. Sveke macrumors newbie

9. deviant macrumors 65816

Because it either works or it's a complete mess? 50-50 for now.

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

There are still quite a few bugs =/

11. deviant macrumors 65816

I SLEPT ON MY PHONE and suddenly it has started downloading iOS 8.

Wow. Just Wow.

12. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a 4s
    I never do the first update
    I don't even like the look of 7

----------

Haha! It's either that or it did it by itself, but auto update wasn't turned on so I suspect I manged to hit OK when I picked it up to move it out of the way.

13. deviant macrumors 65816

You might as well switch to something different cause i have news for you... everything is heading towards that direction and it's not changing anytime soon. Not trying to be a dick or something, just the cold truth. Even macs looks like iOS 7 all of a sudden.

14. Sveke macrumors newbie

Ok. I can understand with a 4s but there's no bugs. It's mint. Everyone complaining is experiencing a phenomenon called user error or retard syndrome.

15. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which is why I did 7 last night. And I had a couple of apps I needed to update as well so it was inevitable. I have a big event in 3 weeks that I need my phone for, so no way can I do a first update until after that. I always wait till .01

I hear what you're saying. I'm keeping my 08 MB on ML but I'm due for a new one at some point.

I just have to say I REALLY don't like the flat look. I know I'll get used to it but ugh

16. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

It stopped downloading now ? And ... you rely on your iPhone4s for a big event where you sleep on it in the night ? ;)

17. deviant macrumors 65816

I love it and i'll update everything i can because i need sms relay and phone calls on my computer. I mean, i installed yosemite beta on my 2007 imac (with ssd, granted) and it's still kinda lightning fast. but hey, to each their own.

18. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Seriously, working with beta releases is not really updating ...

19. diane143, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, at least I can admit user error since I can't prove the phone did it on its own. :p I have never found it under it me before. There's always a first time for everything! It's my only clock and alarm plus I don't sleep well so it keeps me amused if I wake up and can't get back to sleep.

It stopped downloading because I turned off wifi. I'm hoping it times out.

20. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Didn't want to bother you.

Is seems that the OTA update is not stopping at all. I investigated a litte bit, some jailbreak the device, some restore it from iTunes. Seems not to be feasible in your case.

OK, here we go: Fill up the storage of your iPhone with some data ( Videos, Pictures, whatever you have ). Make sure you fill it up as much as you can. Then enable WIFI again. This way the update MUST fail.

In case you do, please report back.

21. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yikes - THANKS!

OK - I have a backup through iTunes on the laptop as of last night (iOS6) and this morning (iOS7 but that was when it was attempting to download so no idea if that's also locked into the backup).

I also have the same with ibackupbot. I've never used ibackup bot to restore. I did restore once with iTunes and iCloud and didn't lose too much data - what I lost was missing in the iTunes backup as it wasn't 100% current then.

I have an iCloud backup from last night which is also iSO6.

I do have a ton of pix I can put back on the phone I guess. I usually manage them separately and removed a lot of them in the spring. I think I have 8gb free - how full do I need to be to jam up the update?

22. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK I packed pix onto the phone. Could not connect via BT, but found a work around in iTunes. I got down to 6gb left.

Turned on wifi, the download started and failed 30 seconds later.

It gave me an option of Close or Settings. I'm already in Settings, so I said Close.

Now it says Download and Install. I exited and came back, same thing.

The real question is, what happens when I delete the pix? Hopefully it still needs me to OK the install.

23. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

OP, what iOS 7 version are you on?

My 5s came with 7.1.1 and I could have deleted the 7.1.2 update from my device if I wanted under settings : general : usage.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Updates will generally download (not install) on their own when there's enough space, the device is on WiFi, and usually connected to a power source. again, this is just for download, not install, which does require user interaction before that would initiate. Since iOS 7.1 there's an ability to delete a downloaded update, so if one gets downloaded, you should be able to delete it and that's basically it.

25. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm on 7.1.2, but I did that straight from the latest iOS6

Where do you find the OS to delete? I've looked under Usage and don't see anything but apps.

----------

I think what happened though is that I said OK to the update notification when I moved the phone this morning.

Are you saying iOS 8 would have downloaded, but not updated until I answered another prompt? (now I can't remember what I did with 7 last night!)