Help: iPad Apple ID messed up, keeps asking for wrong ID

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by baryon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. baryon, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

My mom got an iPad and she has no credit card so I gifted her a few apps to get her started, using iTunes to send her specific apps. It turns out that I was on a different country's iTunes store than her (though in the age of the internet, I thought it doesn't matter what "Country" my iTunes account is in, since apps are just digital files and are not located in a specific country), so she could not download any of the apps because iOS kept insisting she's in the wrong country. Well I found a way around it though, I changed her ID over to the same country as mine, and she was able to download the apps, after which I changed her country back to hers.

All was well for a while, but since then every update requires her to enter MY Apple ID's password. Even for free apps that she downloaded on her own. It keeps asking for the password for my email address, instead of hers, even though every purchase was made on hers. I did not use my Apple ID on her iPad, ever. The only way her iPad can even know about my ID is that I gifted her the apps from my ID. I never even entered my password on her iPad since there are so many symbols I would remember the pain of trying to find them all on the touchscreen keyboard.

What's even stranger, there is absolutely no sign of the apps that I gifted her on her Apple ID. It's like that never happened. If she goes to the App Store and clicks on "Purchased", the apps I gifted her are not on the list. They are, however, installed on her iPad. I deleted a few just to see what happens, and we have to purchase them again since they're not even listed as purchased, even though she properly received the gift I sent her. So the money I paid for her apps is basically gone and so are the apps.

All I want is her to be able to update her apps using her own password, and to be able to use the apps that I paid for and sent her, without having to buy them again.

This whole App Store thing is really starting to piss me off and I just don't understand why it has to be so ridiculously, impossibly complicated to do something as simple as downloading a couple of 3 megabyte apps that we paid for.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Every country has different rules and regulations regarding apps. Don't blame Apple for complying with these laws by keeping different country Appstores.

Now, you should go the appstore and ask for a refund on the apps you purchased for your mom citing "she is in another country I need to gift it to her from the other appstore". They may refund your money so you can login to her country and gift it again.

3. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon

I did get around that problem by changing her country, that's not the issue. I doubt that's the cause for my Apple ID showing up every time she wants to update something, even apps that I didn't gift her.

I just want the iPad to use her ID to do the updates for the apps that she owns and are supposed to be attached to her ID, not mine. Or if you gift someone an app, does that mean they will need your password each time they want to update it? That wouldn't make a lot of sense...

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think the issue lies in cross country app gifting honestly. Try reaching out to Apple about this.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Try going to Settings > iCloud and delete the icloud account and set it up again

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts