Help! iPad or iphone 4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andygabriel, Jul 14, 2010.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi MR,

I'm hoping to get some advice here. My birthday is coming up in like 3 weeks and the wifey is going to get me an amazing gift. She told me to choose between the iPad and the iPhone 4!

At the moment i have a 2.4Ghz 2008 white macbook and it's running fine and i also have an iPhone 3G 16GB which also serve my needs. But as everyone else in this forum, i love gadgets.

I'm really tempted to get the iphone 4 but the ipad looks nice too. I'd love to have either gadget.

Could anyone tell me what you would go for?

Cheers

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 is where I'd go. Hands down. What do you think you need?

3. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Both device could be useful. I'd take the ipad when i travel oversease ( twice a year) and don't need to lug around my macbook but at the same time the iphone 4 is a nice upgrade like you said ( camera, screen, faster processor).

That's why i'm having a hard time to make a decision :confused: . If i could afford it, i'd get both babies.

Thx Jessica.

4. kuaiyouming, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

iPhone 4 hands down!!!!
    I can't believe you aren't sick of the 3G speeds with 4.0 (or maybe you didn't update it ;) )

The iPhone 4 is like an iPad... but it can fit in your pocket!

6. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Actually i did upgrade to ios 4 and at the beginning it was barely useable (lag, freeze etc..) but after i did a reset (settings>reset>reset all settings) it's working smoothly again i'd say even better than before, the only problem seem to be wifi. i don't get full wifi signal reception.

I thought about just buying a new macbook pro 13" but my 2008 white macbook works perfectly (upgraded to 4GB Ram and 500GB HD). I mostly use my laptop for email, Web browsing, maintaing iweb site, and keynote presentations in class(i'm a teacher), and of course iLife and iTunes.

A faster iphone would be great especially with the new camera but i'm going on holidays for 4 weeks and i was thinking that i could bring the ipad instead of the macbook. And put some photos on it to show the relatives their and also upload all the pics taken during my vacation onto the ipad. And just transfer the pics back to my mac when i come back.

sigh it's still a dilemma!

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd wait on both devices... get yourself another cool toy - the iPhone 4 needs to have the antenna issues worked out and I like 2nd gen :apple: devices (after the issues I've had with my 1st gen iPod Touch)...

8. matthewr macrumors member

Tough choice!

I was in a similar circumstance about a month ago. I have a unibody MacBook, a first gen iPod touch and a crappy LG touchscreen phone. I had been planning on skipping the first gen iPad and getting the new iPhone when it was released. But then i played around with my wife's iPad and thought it was fantastic, and had a trip coming up that the iPad would be really useful for, and I live in Canada, where we don't yet have the option of getting the iPhone 4, so I got the iPad (64 GB 3G) and love it. It is small enough that I take it almost everywhere with me, and I find it great for reading books and surfing the web on.

That said, if they get the antenna issue sorted out, I will probably also get a iPhone 4 when they come to Canada...:D

9. willieva macrumors 6502

I was just on a trip with a friend who had his iphone with him. Made me want to get an ipad. Being able to actually surf the web and have a nice way to view pictures seems like a great option. Better even than lugging a small mbp around. If they'd just had one in stock at the mac store when we got back to civilization...

10. crezo macrumors newbie

iphone

I would say definitely go for the iphone.

We have ipads at work, and as lovely as they are, compared to a laptop they are very limited. I recently upgraded from a 3g to an iphone 4 and although they may not seem massively different at first, the high res screen is just stunning, plus I can get massively increased wifi range (not to mention the fantastic camera and HUGE speed increase over the 3G).

With the high res screen it makes it more like an ipad anyway. So it would seem to make more sense to go for that, as if you needed to do anything other than go on the web when travelling the ipad would be pretty useless (although they are pretty ;)).

And don't even worry about the signal issue, don't listen to all the whining muppets... get a case and you no longer have the problem. I can highly recommend the griffin cases. Give it a week or two of use and you'll forget there ever was a problem. Plus to be honest if you don't use a case on a 600 quid phone that's covered in glass you're just asking for problems, signal issue or none!

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I'd prefer something that is free to her but might be priceless to you, if you know what I mean.

Or just go on a holiday. If you really needed any of these gadgets, you'd already knew which one to get.

12. JAG77 macrumors member

iPad vs iPhone? = iPad

Honestly, if your a gadget buy like you said, then usually the more gadgets you have the better. Im still living with my iphone 3g and have it jailbroken so that when I get an ipad its ready to tether. I would maybe wait till the issues with the iphone 4 settle down and maybe spring for an ipad. I've only used one once but I think any tech person will be just taken by it.

Or maybe you'll win more brownie points if you tell her to spend the money on bills... No, nevermind.. :p

13. stuboy macrumors newbie

I always like to get myself a little something on my birthday ! so i guess ask for the ipad ... buy the iphone is a "little something" :D in the same boat as you can only have one of them ... i going with the phone !!

14. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Let's put it this way guys!

Assuming you already have a macbook and an iphone 3G/3GS.

What would you choose? iPad or iPhone 4?

15. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

iPad

Given the choice between an improved version of something I already have or an altogether new device that brings new capabilities to the table, I'd go with the new device.

It seems that the iPad would change my daily techno existence more than merely upgrading my iPhone to a newer iPhone.

16. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

get iphone 4. make sure to buy bumpers as you will not be able to make calls without them. someone above pointed that out.

17. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Well, most people told me to go for the iphone 4! Well i guess this is what i'll probably get!

Thx for al the replies!