Help - iPhone not recognized by iTunes after update to 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Madvillain, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Madvillain Guest

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "----'s iPhone".
    Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.

I have not had any problems with my phone. Today I updated to 1.1.3, and I also updated iTunes today to the latest version.

I purchased one song on my phone through iTunes on my phone. I connected to my PC and I used the 'transfer purchases' option under the File menu. The song transferred properly and I disconnected my iPhone (using the eject button beside where it is listed under devices on the left).

My iPhone music library then showed no songs, so I hooked it back up to my computer to sync it and that is when the real trouble began.

What do I do?
    I do not want a factory restored phone. I have pictures by peoples names in my contact list that I cannot ever replace.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

have you reset the phone by holding down the home button and the sleep button?

3. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Thank you, but yes, I have tried that.
    I have reset it using the home key/sleep button combo until the apple logo shows. No dice.
    I have also shut off and restarted my iPhone and computer as well. No luck there either.
    Any other ideas?
    I am really not impressed with this. I expect this from my xbox 360, not an apple product.

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

mine did the same thing.

I hadn't restored it ever since purchased 3 days after launch.

I just did the restore and got on with life...sorry wish I had a solution.

5. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Oh no....

Did it wipe everything? Contacts, pictures, email, bookmarks, addresses, etc.?

I have some family pictures tied to their contact info that shows up when they call. They live far away and I took the pictures with my phone so I have no way of getting them back if they get 'restored.'

This is really lame.

6. Malamutt macrumors regular

Is your phone plugged directly into your machine or a USB hub? If it's a hub plug it directly in to the computer. If that doesn't work and I assume you have restarted your machine then try using a different USB port on your computer.

My Wall adapter for power screwed up my iphone at one point as well do you use your wall adapter?

:apple:Malamutt

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

This happened to me. I thought that I would loose everything... but it was exactly as I left it... Notes, SMS, everything.

8. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Meaning you reset it to factory settings and it did not reset to factory settings?

I really hope you are serious.

9. Madvillain thread starter Guest

I am not using a adapter or anything but the regular cord that goes directly from my iPhone to my computer. I tried a different port, but not luck there. Thank you for the idea though.

10. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

My contacts are all there, pictures are all there. Addresses and call history are all still there.

Some emails from gmail appear to be gone, however.

Yahoo emails are still there. Redownloaded everything from my college account though which was a pain. Had to delete 100+ emails.

Also, I hadn't had IMAP gmail set up and now it's there which seems a little odd.

Bookmarks are all there.

My last backup was at 1:30 this afternoon however, so even with a total wipe, it wasn't that big a deal.

So the real "damage" if you want to call it that is that a few emails I had saved from using pop gmail are now gone. But I keep those on my desktop anyway so they are not gone.

I think the only problem you will have is if you took pictures and such and then didn't synch.

Good luck to you.

11. cashsimpson macrumors member

cashsimpson

12. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Thank you.
    Unfortunately I don't even know how to sync pictures, bookmarks, and call history, so I may be sol here. Thanks for the info.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have Restored my iPhone about 10 times already because I use 3rd Party apps and sometimes an app screws (not a concern since 3rd party screws can be fixed by restoring, no damage done).

So I restore. Every time I finish Restoring and reactivating my Settings, Contacts, SMS, Notes, Clock, Stocks, Weather, Maps, Mail, YouTube, Camera Roll, Phone History (except iPod music, photo (synced from PC/Mac), movies) are back to [and I think you will love to hear this] NORMAL. As if I had never Restores or lost anything.

14. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Love to hear it I do.
    I did it. It worked. Thank you all. Everything, including my family pictures, is still there (music had to re-sync).

Thanks for all the help.