HELP: Ipod in Toilet!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by H3lp, Dec 11, 2010.

1. H3lp macrumors newbie

Alright my Ipod fell in the toilet i took it out. and there where white lines that went across it, and then disappeared. I took of the case and the screen protector. The touch Screen hasn't been working well, i finally turned it off and it turned ITSELF back on! now i have it upside down in a bowl of dry rice.

is there anything else i can do?!
    Why did it turn itself back on?!
    Will my Warranty cover it(one year warranty)?!

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Keep it in the rice for awhile to let it dry and hope for the best.

Because water+electronics=bad, and unpredictable things can happen when the two meet.

No.

3. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Bury it in the rice. Seal the container and forget about it for a few days.

Most likely as it was powered on after getting wet the damage is done.

Warranty doesn't cover accidents. Lesson learned, don't take your electronics into the bathroom.

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

It might still work. But there is a very little chance of that happening now. Still, make sure you dont even try to turn it on atleast for a day or two or the damage will be even worse.

5. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Hehehe, I remember when I did this.

I just packed it back in the original case and took it back to Wal-mart.

So many idiots there.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Idiots?
    Wow. :rolleyes:

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I think if you let it dry out REALLY GOOD it'll be ok. Seriously, I've subjected enough electronics to water. More damage is usually caused when you disassemble and try to dry it (and sometimes, the battery will get taken out by the water)

It's definitely out of warranty though, and there's always a good chance that you might have screwed the screen up well enough (if water gets in, it's really hard to get out). Good luck man!

8. H3lp thread starter macrumors newbie

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If the protection plan is applecare that is just an extended warranty so no. if you bought some other type of protection plan then you would have to check, it is possible to buy plans that protect from accidental damage but you would have had to already own it.

10. H3lp thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out my dad bought one, we're looking for the receipt. So the Protection Plan Care thing will let me get a "new" ipod touch?

11. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Not if you bought the Applecare from Apple, Warrenty doesn't cover accidental damage, however if you bought it elsewhere like Best Buy, or another Electronics store and bought their extended warrenty which included Accidental damage, that is going to be like the only way you're going to get it replaced.

Sorry but you're out of luck if the whole rice thing doesn't work, you may have to buckle down and pay out to get it replaced.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's possible, if he bought AppleCare then no, but if he bought it from Best Buy or somewhere else it may cover accidental damage, you'll have to find a copy of your policy and check, nobody here can tell you what policy you have.

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Yep.
    People who don't check a device for water damage when you return them are pretty dumb IMO.

14. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

Buy a new one, swap them, and return the "new" one.

15. belvdr macrumors 603

I'd take the alternate view and say that people who take water damaged products back to the store for an exchange/refund and exploit the ignorance of the stores' employees are pretty dumb.

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

There are several key deciding factors in its survival, Did you fish it out right away? If yes, leave it for a few days in a dry environment and it should be fine, of course you should stop trying to turn it on repeatedly when it's wet, this can damage it.

17. ivan2 macrumors newbie

well, I dropped my cell in the toilet once and it survived out of my expectation.

18. Traveler5 macrumors newbie

You dishonest schmuck. I hope this comes back to haunt you.

19. Traveler5 macrumors newbie

A lot of integrity around here.

20. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I'm still surprised how often this happens, I just hope you flushed before it fell in.