Help: iTunes Artwork Cache

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ManhattanPrjct, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I have a 500GB SSD on my MBP and am always actively looking to keep it as clean as possible. I have moved most of my documents and files onto my NAS (Synology) and starting last year, I moved my iTunes library there as well. I use the NAS' iTunes server to broadcast music to my computer, devices, etc.

Lately I have noticed that no matter what I do, my SSD's space is still slowly decreasing, so I downloaded DaisyDisk and found the culprit - I have 41GB of music on my NAS, but an Album Artwork Cache of 34GB on my MBP!

There are folders being created on my computer on an almost daily basis. Is there a way to make this stop? I'd almost consider just stopping using iTunes and stream off my NAS with Synology's Audio Station (I don't really use iTunes for much of anything else except for buying music), but this is just crazy.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Sounds like in iTunes preferences you have "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" checked off so every time you add something to your itunes library it creates a copy in your iTunes folder on your computer

3. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

Funny, I do have that checked, but I would have expected iTunes to place files into the Music folder, not into the Artwork folder. I unchecked it - I suppose I could just delete the Cache at this point?

4. jdblas69 macrumors regular

yes normally it should add into appropriate media folder based on music. movie, tv show etc. The issue as to the size of the artworks cache appears to be a separate issue. I found the below link discussing artwork cache. Based on this should be safe to delete the cache

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7420478?start=0&tstart=0

5. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi - I actually found that thread before I posted here. The difference with my situation is that the cache has 360 items in it, but the other Artwork folders don't have anything in them. The more recent folders in the Cache directory are reasonably small, some of the earlier ones are significant in size. I guess I'll just delete them and see what happens.