Help! Just got iPhone but ATT sales rep sounds shady

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I talked to an ATT sales rep in the store a while back, and he said he could get me 15% off my monthly bill and waive the activation fee if I opened up a new line.

I went in today to get the iphone and open up a new line, and when we were doing all the paperwork, nothing showed a 15% discount or a waiver of the activation fee. He didn't even give me a copy of the contract at first, I had to ask for it, and when I got one it just showed the full price for the plan and it still showed the activation fee of $36.00.

He did however fill out some paperwork that showed a 15% discount (he had the manager sign it), and he put a note in the computer to waive the fee. I asked for a copy for these documents but he said he could not give it to me.

He said it will take 1-2 billing cycles for the discount and the waiver of the activation fee to show up, and that I should just wait for my bill to see what happens; if anything goes wrong, to give him a call.

Is he being shady? I mean, you would think they could just print something out indicating the terms you agreed upon.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

did he give YOU any paperwork indicating this?

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

4. greenpaz macrumors member

Not so far-fetched. When I signed up for the corporate discount (only after I had already ordered the iphone -- long story), they told me it would take 1-2 billing cycles for the discount to reflect on the bill. It actually only took one billing cycle (and it was prorated), but for some reason AT&T can't do billing changes in real time...

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

So did they give you any paperwork indicating that you got the discount at the time of purchase?

Can anyone else confirm that the discounts and the waiver of the activation fee takes 1-2 billing cycles and that they don't do it in person (or give you any paperwork to prove it?)

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The rep is trying to add a FAN on your account I believe, based on your story.

7. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

What is a FAN?

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I have one on my account, it stands for Foundation Account Number, to put it simply it's a discount that varies which depends on the contract of your employer or school or any organization with AT&T. The discount may vary and might be applied to your plan or accessories purchased. I believe somewhere in this thread you'll find a detailed explanation on what it is and how to get it.

9. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Are you seriously asking this question? Aren't all AT&T sales people as well as all wireless sales people shady? :D

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I totally agree. This guy clearly lied to you until proven otherwise. When I first signed-up, many lies were also fed to me. You'll usually notice these lies before the 30 day period, but by then you'll not want to switch (due to loving your phone). I actually think there's a class cellphone salesmen take to hone their lying skills.

11. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I force guy to give paper work

I didn't see the discount (corporate) or waiver on the main paper work so I asked what's up. He said he was going to do that later. I made him do it right away (he did it on hard copy and the computer). Then he said the soft copy can't be printed so I made him go to the CVS and make a copy of his hard copy for me (we were in a mall). They both showed up on my first bill (pro-rated for half a billing cycle). All's fine.

12. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to mention your place of employment before he brought up that he could offer you a discount?
    If thats the case, then I wouldn't worry about it, your 15% off and activation fee reimbursement will show up on the first bill. I don't know why they couldn't give you a copy of the documentation showing this though.

If it doesn't show up, call up ATT and mention that you were told you could receive a FAN discount. They'll ask what company, and apply the appropriate discounts(you may actually end up having to stop by a store though, since of course, theres no way to verify your info)

13. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

Corperate locations notes added to your account take priority and are read over and if he put in there to waive your activation fee, it will be waived. You may be charged on your first bill, but you will be credited back the 36 dollars. Also he did the proper paperwork to add the FAN discount to you account. There really isnt any paper work to give you, account notes are confidential and cannot be shown to the customer, but he could have given you a copy of the disscount enrollment sheet. Go back to the att store and ask if it shows you have a FAN number because if not there and you add it after your 30 day return period att asses you a 36 dollar enrollment fee.

14. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thank you! Do you work for ATT? It sounds like you know precisely what is going on.

15. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thank you!

16. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

Yes I work for ATT. Hope the info helped ease your nerves a little. :D Enjoy your new iphone! :apple:

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Finally an nice and helpfull AT&T rep that is not shady :D

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Did YOU even read the post?