Help! Just purchased BNIB MBP 2011 2.2GHZ-ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyturbouk, Mar 18, 2011.

1. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    HI all re this purchase i have just made:

NEW Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 2.2 GHz 17" Intel Core i7
    *Dispatch from UK* 750GB, 4GB RAM, Quad-Core,7 Hours

ebay: Item number: 380324029624
    I just brought this item by "make offer"
    I managed to haggle down price from 1750GBP to 1700GBP,
    He accepted my counter offer.

However, i made it clear in my terms of purchase for 'best offer' that the price included 3yrs applecare and delivery - seller accepted

When i queried this with seller - no response. I e-mailed back, if he would honour the terms on which he accepted my offer - i.e. price incl 3yrs applecare + delivery

Seller has not responded. I think he / she was trigger happy and accepted my offer without reading the terms i put in the counter.

I am quite new to e-bay and never bid on such a high item

My predicament is, is he now expected to honour the final price and terms of the offer i made, or is he within his/her rights to just end the MBP not including the applecare, as this was not in the listing, however it was mentioned in the terms of contract that i sent in my counter offer- which he accepted.

I am genuine bidder and am willing to pay, but wanted to make sure that seller will honour the terms of contract.

Seller will not answer my e-mails!!!! :mad:

Unfortunately e-bay is now closed for me to ask so thought i would ask on these forums

Thanks in advance

2. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

Reason #1 to shop brick and mortar for expensive items. I'm really sorry about this, but sellers will turn shady in a minute over a big ticket item.

3. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Wait, you can "haggle" on eBay? And include other options that weren't in the listing?

What are you buying? A house? "I'll only buy it if you include the drapes AND the appliances!"

4. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

LOL. Yeah they aren't obligated to give anything that wasn't in the listing.

5. MarkG21 macrumors regular

What made you put Applecare in the counteroffer? Just curious if you put that out in the blue or did the seller actually state in the listing (the original terms) that applecare was included?

6. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

agree - im stupid.. but saving was a whopping GBP 550 - almost $900USD

need to stop with the e-baying..:eek:

7. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

sorry, will elaborate

ok original price was 1750GBP

i placed a cheeky offer for 1500GBP
    the listing mentioned apple care could be purchased as an extra
    i stated i would like the applecare included in my offer

i messaged seller, who said 3yr apple care would be 99GBP

he counter offered me 1729 - no terms

i made final counter offer for 1700GBP - which he accepted in 60seconds or so - i messaged him that this price of 1700 would incl the applecare, i also placed it into the terms of the contract -

i have the feeling seller jumped on the fact that i accepted £1700, but didn't read the terms i included, and despite i messaged him to highlight the offer would incl applecare

any-how seller wont answer me, e-bay support uk is now closed

will call e-bay in morn to inquire re the legalities of the sale

>>so begins a long headache<<

8. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

here was the exact sale made:

NEW Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 2.2 GHz 17" Intel Core i7
    Your Counteroffer: £1,700.00
    Buy It Now price:
    £1,749.99
    Quantity: 1
    Your terms: Including 3yrs AppleCare and delivery within UK-
    Offer expires: 20-Mar-11 22:12:10 GMT

the point is he accepted 'best offer'
    we haggled for a while, i even messaged him to say i wanted the final price to be incl of 3yrs applecare

when he realised the terms (well i kindly reminded him) he went silent!

ps i just found this on e-bay site:

To submit your Best Offer:
    Find a listing that accepts Best Offers.
    Click the Make Offer button in the listing.
    Enter your Best Offer price.
    Click the Add additional terms link to add additional terms to your offer.
    Note: Any message you include as a part of your Best Offer request to the seller is not a private form of communication. The Best Offer message is considered to be a formal term of your proposed agreement and may be reviewed by eBay to ensure that it does not breach eBay policy or represent fraudulent activity.
    Review the terms at the bottom of the page.
    Click the Review Best Offer > button.
    Review the information on the Best Offer: Review and Submit page.
    Click the Submit Best Offer button.

anyway - screw it ill find out in the morning
    if the seller wants - ill cancel the bid; but next time he shouldn't be so trigger happy

think i will pay the extra and buy it from apple store using my edu discount

thanks all

9. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Did any money change hands? If not, good luck with eBay... they won't care.

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

10. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

no money has exchanged hands
    as he suddenly gone quiet

i could be a **** and pay by paypal, then if he doesn't honour the contract i could file a dispute with paypal - who will definitely care as the terms of sales have not been obliged

but then i risk getting the x-display model in a used carrier bag...:rolleyes:

i thinks me will request seller to cancel sale

but seller has gone quiet...

ahhh.. way to much headache on ebay

goin over to ocz forums to drool over vertex 3

too much energy and time sp

11. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

Hello!

As you put it in as part of the "Make and Offer" contract, and he has clicked accept offer the seller would have to honour it.

My guess is it has been accepted hastily without checking any offer terms.

Im sure if you are no longer happy, and he is no longer happy, the sale can be cancelled mutually with no negative feedback left.

If you are struggling to get a hold of the seller you can request there registered contact details from eBay, then give them a ring.

I had a funny buyer and managed to get their phone number and they hung up on me! So a few emails later and the sale was mutually cancelled. So I wouldn't worry too much - no money has changed hands, and it shouldn't either unless you are completely happy with the seller!

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

so it's the sellers fault HOW?

i'm sorry OP, but eBay doesn't work like that

"hi i'm gonna haggle with you to 1700 but you have to include this this and that" :rolleyes:

applecare is $2-300... which means the seller would be losing a lot of money.

13. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

eBay in the UK does have an option to put in terms. The seller provides and option to "Make an Offer". When you make the offer you can put in additional terms, such as "Provide Applecare as described in listing". I have used it to ensure they can provide original receipts, if they can't they decline the offer.

It is in a sense, eBay haggling. So I am sorry to say, you are wrong and the OP is indeed correct. See the link below, it clearly shows the "Make an Offer" button.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Apple-Macbook-Pro-2-4GHz-2-4-GHz-13-3-Intel-Core-2-/390298273415?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item5adf970687#ht_1973wt_907

14. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

to: acfusion29 - before you get your knickers in a twist - i did not just spring this on the seller last minute!

i messaged him before, and made it crystal clear that my final offer would include the item+delivery+applecare

i then made my final counter-offer and placed the terms

i then messaged him to confirm that he was happy with the terms..

im more than happy to cancel the bid, but he wont respond

its 0156 GMT and ebay support opens at 0900 GMT so i will find out the result then

im assuming from his feedback that this is the USA version which costs around 1550GBP, he quoted me 3yrs applecare as 99GBP, when i made the ofer of 1500GBP
    so, my final offer was 1700GBP incl of the applecare - i dont think he ould of made a loss, but not the mega profits he assumed he would make by selling USA electronics to the UK market

ne way - thanks all

15. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Whatever you do, don't do that!! You think you have a head ache now, it'll be 10X worse.

How long ago did you send them an e-mail? I looked at the auction listing number, and it says on their listing that there customer service is from 9am-6p eastern time in the U.S.

16. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

If it can be anymore help to you, I cancelled an eBay transaction once.

You have to do it through the Resolution Centre and I believe the other party to that who raised the request has 7 days to respond, if they don't respond, it automatically gets resolved!

If the seller doesn't want to cancel then he will need to sort you out with the 17" Pro and the AppleCare for £1700, its in the terms of the offer that he has read and accepted. You have nothing to worry about.

17. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

No, it's not the sellers fault all. True, the OP could've been more knowledgeable of the eBaying process, but the transaction gets more intense as the price of the items increase. I'd rather just pay up (at a reputable establishment) for the peace of mind.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you're that angry about it, just leave a negative feedback and get on with life. Just buy it from the apple store.

19. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

The OP has done the correct thing.

He has clearly stated what his offer price is, and what he expects the seller to provide for that price. The seller has accepted and therefore agreed to the contract, he should now send an invoice to the OP and then normal ebay service can be resumed. The OP pays with Paypal and gets his MBP + AppleCare. The OP is slightly worried that the communication has dried up since the offer being accepted, it seems to me the seller has made a boob.

I think people are getting confused by the Make an Offer. It does exist here in the UK if not elsewhere, I have used it myself. If the seller didnt want to accept offers or alternative terms he shouldnt have put it on the listing. :eek:

20. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

How long have you given the seller to respond to these messages? Has it been mere minutes or has it been days?

I have sold A LOT of high priced items on ebay, and bought a fair number too, and can honestly say one of the most annoying parts of the process is when one party expects communication to be instant. eBay messages can take hours to actually get delivered, or the seller might of had to step out (not a huge shocker on a Friday night, and being in the UK this late), etc.

I hope everything works out, and this turns out to just be a case of anxiousness. Try not to be too over the top in demanding a response, unless more than 24 hours have passed. Also, if push comes to shove, as someone that has been through the eBay resolution process more times than I care to remember (always been the one filing a claim, never been filed against) it should be resolved in your favor, it will just take about 2 weeks when all is said and done.

21. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

thanks all for the advice

we exchanged several messages over the hour, prior to seller accepting my final offer - then he did not respond

i waited 2-3 hrs and messaged him

im only anxious as i almost lost my last MBP 2010, falling foul to the nigeria / paypal spoof scam... o

moral of the story - next time i will only buy from apple

p.s. just spoke to ebay.com and they where really nice, but not much help as they are not aware of all the ebay.co.uk policies

<pours a large vodka...forgetting the tonic n' lime>
    yes much more relaxed now!

22. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

no.

you're an idiot and the reason why i, and many others, dont deal with ebay.

i just looked on the UK website...

£2,099.00

you want it for £1,700 PLUS free shipping PLUS free 3 year apple care?

if you wanted it for just £1700 without the apple care, then i wouldn't have even replied to this thread but what you're doing is LOWBALLING. £285.00 for Apple care... so you pretty much want the computer for £1415... you want the seller to go out of his way to purchase Apple care for you? lol. okk if i was the seller i'd tell you to go fly a kite to be honest.

i'm thinking he mistakenly accepted the offer without reading the terms

and is it because it's an eBay store that you're trying to push your luck?

sigh at this thread and people defending the OP.

ok i've read enough.

23. HBOC macrumors 68020

sorry OP, but you seem like the typical nightmare I have dealt with on eBay. I have been on eBay for 11 years and am a "powerseller" and "top rated seller" which I don't know what that really means, lol.

ANYTHING NOT STATED in the original auction I doubt eBay can hold the seller accountable. It seems like you are getting a good deal, why try to get AC for free? Also, some people (most people that is) don't live on eBay. Perhaps he had something to do. I am sure he doesn't make a living on eBay, as I don't. I just sell shiest I come across or if I happen to go to the Nike employee store and get good deals to make extra cash.

I hope it works out for you, but give the seller some slack, especially if he has been on eBay for a while and has lots of feedback. People these days think they are entitled to everything..

24. advan031 macrumors 6502

You haven't paid or anything so why are u fretting? Give him a couple of days and if he or she is still Mia then leave a neg feedback and move on.

25. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

acfusion
    put the claws away, you clearly dont understand what 'best offer' is
    so before you throw your toys out the pram

pls read this:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/best-offer.html

the whole point of best offer is that the seller is willing to haggle
    otherwise they will not have this option
    ok!

next, we exchanged several e-mails, and he was very happy to sell me AC for 99GBP, when i made my original bid..

i then made the counter offer, stipulating my terms of purchase was that my final price includes AC

i stated this in an e-mail and if he was not happy - he should of not accepted!

now hes gone very quiet since i reminded him the terms of the contract - something that was in plane sight when he hit the accept

HBOC - a nightmare
    right i don't even now you, and you do NOT know me
    100% positive feedback as seller/buyer to date

sorry you also clearly do not know what you are talking about

e-bay.co.uk rules in re to "best offer" - given to me by ebay.com support

submit your Best Offer:
    Find a listing that accepts Best Offers.
    Click the Make Offer button in the listing.
    Enter your Best Offer price.
    Click the Add additional terms link to add additional terms to your offer.
    Note: Any message you include as a part of your Best Offer request to the seller is not a private form of communication. The Best Offer message is considered to be a formal term of your proposed agreement and may be reviewed by eBay to ensure that it does not breach eBay policy or represent fraudulent activity.
    Review the terms at the bottom of the page.
    Click the Review Best Offer > button.
    Review the information on the Best Offer: Review and Submit page.
    Click the Submit Best Offer button.

i did not intend to deceive seller, as stated to death now i mailed him, and the terms where plain and simple

He is selling a USA model, costing him approx 1550GBP, Appecare, as quoted by him 99GBP
    so he is at least hitting cost

I am happy to cancel the bid if the seller wants, but he wont respond!
    i dont want unpaid item strike
    hence i made the post -

i should of addressed it to those in the UK who understand the best offer!!:mad: