HELP!! Macbook White 13" 08 model not allowing me to install snow leopard...why?!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alphadog111, Oct 1, 2010.

1. alphadog111 macrumors member

I bought a used macbook that came with Leopard 10.5.8 I believe on it and I decided to delete the entire hard drive by going into disk utility and wiping it clean and then trying to install snow leopard like that... Unfortunately when I put the snow leopard install dvd in my macbook it is now not allowing me too install it saying "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer - This disk requires that Mac OS X 10.5 or later already be installed on your computer" Then it gives me the option to restore from back up (which there is no back up as the hard drive was wiped out) and now I do not know what to do?? Can I do anything too fix this or do I have to get the Leopard 10.5 installation disk and start over?? Please help Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

I have snow leopard upgrade dvd...isn't that 10.6? That is the only installation disk that I have with me...But still how do I fix this issue?? There must be a way around with out having the Leopard disk....

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, it was the upgrade disc that came with another machine, or a disc you bought from the store?

5. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure but I have used this installation dvd on other macbooks not related to the one that it came with and it installed perfectly fine on other macbooks... I just don't understand why this specific one is not installing

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you erase those drives as well?

The reason I ask is because some discs that came with machines near the transition are true upgrade discs and require that 10.5 be installed.

7. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

i think i did i mean its not installing the snow leopard....what do you recommend I do in my situation? will getting a new hard drive and installing snow leopard work? thanks

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Getting a new blank HD won't work. It seems like this disc require Leopard before you can install SL.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought discs wont work on any other computer beside the one that its assigned for.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Those are the gray restore discs.

11. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

so once I get leopard all I have to do is install it and then I can install snow leopard? Will I encounter any problems if I install leopard on it such as any failure issue to install such a thing or just putting it in and installing it should fix the problem...

12. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

No. Install leopard 10.5 or up to 10.5.8. Then pop in the SL disk and just run the upgrade. DO NOT wipe the hard drive again or you'll run into the same problem again.

Or, I have tricked an upgrade disk to function without having the required operating system to install. You can pop the disk into the macbook. Before booting into the disk get another apple macbook or mini etc. with the 10.5 or higher os and connect the two together with a firewire cord if applicable. Put the other apple machine into target disk mode. Now boot from the disk the disk will see the machine and the OS which is in target disk mode allowing you to go into the choose which drive option to install to. You will now be able to see the drive from the booted macbook with no OS and should be able to install now.

13. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

I think I get what you are saying...As of now I have two macbook white 08 model I believe..One is the current one that wont let me install the sl..the other is working fine with "Version 10.5.4". All I have to do is connect a firm wire cord from the one with 10.5.4 to the one that is not working and then just boot up the one that does not work so it can install the 10.5.4 version? You sure it will work and let me install the 10.5.4 version on the non working macbook if I connect it together? What are the chances? and where do I get the cable to do it?

14. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I believe both those have a "FireWire 400" port. You will need a firerwire 400 cable.

1. Macbook that works plug 1 end of cable into FireWire port. Other end into non working MacBook's firer wire port.
    2. Working MacBook hold down the T key and boot up until you see the FireWire graphic on the screen then leave it alone.
    3. Plug disk into non working macbook and boot into the disk.
    4. Run the install utility and it should now allow you to install onto the hard drive in the non working MacBook.

15. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

which disk do you mean? put my sl into the non working macbook?

16. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Yes the SL disk into the broken macbook.

17. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

Okay I will give it a try. Thanks for all your help man :D

18. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

No problem, hope it works out its been a while since I've done that but I'm pretty sure it will work. Just let me know.