Help me choose: Sport vs. SS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ttusomeone, Apr 18, 2016.

1. ttusomeone macrumors member

ttusomeone

If I understand it correctly, the three big differences between the Sport watch and the Stainless Steel version is the 1) price 2) case material and 3) glass. My question is, is it worth spending the extra money to get the Stainless Steel version? I know value is subjective, so what I'm really asking is does the SS version hold up to general wear and tear so much better than the Sport version to justify the price?

If going with the SS version, I would get the Space Black in 42mm with the sport type band.

I'd like to get a black link band but don't want to pay the Apple premium for theirs. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative band that looks good with the watch?

2. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Are you to type to have always worn a watch? Then the SS.

If you've never or rarely worn a watch til now, then Sport.

Also, I'm personally going to put up the money for an Apple link bracelet if I end up keeping mine past the return date.

I remain unconvinced with the third party bands and the tool-free adjustment feature of the Apple link bracelet intrigues me and I want to try it for myself. So, I would recommend an Apple band, myself.

3. ttusomeone thread starter macrumors member

ttusomeone

Thanks for the insight! Yes, I've always worn a watch so I'll lean towards the SS. It's hard to justify the price of the link bracelet, but I'll wear it with the Sport band for a while and then make the decision.

4. TasheRAWR, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

TasheRAWR macrumors regular

TasheRAWR

5. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Unless you're always flailing your arm around, bump into things frequently, or frequently scratch any other watched you own the Apple Watch Sport should be fine, however Stainless Steel is nice because of the all black look.

As the TasheRAWR said above, lost of good 3rd party options out there for just about any band that are of quality and will cost you a fraction of Apple's bands.

6. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

SS all the way I've owned many variations Sport and SS and the SS is just more substantial and glass is much more scratch resistant, also polishing the casing is easy if you get the silver. The Space Black SS casing is super resistant to scratches as well if you go that route. You can find a cheap SS if you just look via swappa.com or ebay, etc.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Can't polish and renew the appearance of the Sport finish.

Don't forget the ceramic back of the SS, too, which seems nearly as scratchproof as the sapphire face.

8. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

I've two SS , SB and steel .
    I use it for everyday watch.

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I've had both, I prefer the lighter Space Gray Sport. It's less flashy than the glossy SS models which visually look bigger and shinier. I guess I'm more low key. I don't wear watches or jewelry generally. The heavier Space Black SS i had pulled more on the 3rd party Milanese magnet too but it had a beautiful shiny black finish on it for sure.

10. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

id go with the sport. there going to upgrade these as fast as they can so prices will drop a lot. could of gotten either but didnt like the fact that the ss crystal will break if dropped. went with the sport.

11. Kiph0001 macrumors newbie

I would suggest to buy the apple sport. If you prefer the black one, then the space gray aluminum looks really good.

I purchased the space gray with nylon band few days ago and looks really good, probably better then black SS with sport band in my opinion.

12. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have a Space Black and a Gold Sport and am very happy with both. I've had the black one since launch (once SB finally shipped) and I can't find a mark on it anywhere.

I've ordered a 3rd party black SS link bracelet but it has not arrived yet. At 1/20th of the price of the Apple bracelet it would have to be utter crap for me to not like it. Plus I ordered it because I saw it recommended by another user here.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'd go with the Sport. I love the look of the SS, but I can't justify the price. I purchased the SS for around $550 with taxes when it first came out, and I just didn't feel comfortable spending that much on a 1st gen. I was able to get the Sport for $199 brand new the other day. Ideally, that's what I am willing to spend on an Apple Watch. Depending on what AW2 brings, I may get the SS (if the prices don't go up!)

14. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I went with SS because (a) all my other decent watches are SS, and (b) I figured if I went big, I'd take it seriously.

Besides, I knew that if I liked it, I'd keep it; if I didn't, I'd return it. I'd learn something either way.

Eight months in, and I still have it.

15. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

If you buy the first gen at this point in time, buy the sport used and see if you like it. The SS is much better quality in my opinion and that is all that counts.

If you want to wear it daily with jeans and then a suit, the SS is by far the one to get.

I've had my SS for a year and beat the crap out of it in workouts and yard work and all types of physical activities. The screen is perfect. The scratches are next to impossible to see unless you look closely.

16. ttusomeone thread starter macrumors member

ttusomeone

That's something I hadn't considered. I like the idea of buying a used sport to make sure I like it then get a SS when the next generation comes out. I know there's no way to know for sure what Apple is planning, but is the prevailing assumption that they'll release the next gen in their Sept. event?

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The SS version has ceramic coating underneath where the heart rate sensor is which resists wear a bit better.
    The SS version has a bit of weight to it which in my opinion adds a bit of "luxury".

Heres a link to the black version of the aftermarket link bracelet I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/HappyCell®-replacement-stainless-Watchband-Replacement/dp/B012ICBLW8

18. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

See for years before I wore a Tag Formula 1 watch that was quite heavy and I appreciate how lightweight the SB Sport felt on my wrist immediately and I think it looks more than elegant enough to go with a suit with the correct band. Even the all black sport band looks neat and tidy with it.

19. ttusomeone thread starter macrumors member

ttusomeone

Where were you able to find the sport for $199?

20. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I forgot to mention I bought mine on sale for $499. I probably wouldn't have picked one up at its full retail price of $699.

If other retailers still had the $100 off sale for the Sport watches, I'd be inclined to return my SBSS and use a sport until the upgrade.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Whatever works for you bud. I found the Sport a little too light for my taste. Of course the SS is nowhere near as heavy as my Omega but I like the weight.

22. nfl46 macrumors 603

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Another vote for SS. Buy a used one on swappa for $400.

I've owned both, I sold my Sport and bought a stainless one. No comparison. The SS looks and feels so much more substantial. People comment on it all the time, especially when I wear a Milanese loop. Many times they hadn't realized that an Apple Watch can look so damn elegant because most of the ones they've seen in the past were the Sport model which in my opinion has a bit more of a toyish look. Not to mention you have so much more choice when it comes to bands. I swear, some of the bands I've seen people try to put on their Sport watches on these forums have looked absolutely ridiculous. Go for the stainless, it's been 8 months and I still can't stop starring at it on my wrist and admiring it.

For any current Sport owners who have been feeling some stainless envy and have been thinking of selling and upgrading, just do it. Bite the bullet. It really is that much better, if you don't mind it used you can score a great deal and your upgrade won't cost you much.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Or you could be cheap like me, and get a case to go around the Sport version. I think it looks really good and changes the whole look of the Sport. Unless you are up close and personal, you wouldn't even know this was the Sports version. The best part is, they are only $12. :) [​IMG][​IMG]

25. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

A little too ghetto for me.:p
    But not bad looking.