Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
I was so confused when I chose a Graphic card for Mac Pro 5.1. Currently I'm traveling in Japan. I went to Akihabara to look for a Graphic card but when I asked the seller. He doesn't know if it will work for Mac Pro or not. So this post I want to ask: 1. Do my cards below work for Mac Pro, don't need Flash? Please let me know, because i I saw them write "WINDOWS, 7,10". But If you don't need Flash, it still works great on Mac and windows?

1. AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB
2. AMD Radeon RX 590 8 GB
3. Radeon RX 560 4GB
4. RX 5700XT Anni Edition
5. EVGA GeForce GTX680 2GB

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
I have the RX 590 (Gigabyte) and it works great for me on Mojave & Catalina. If you want the latest and greatest, the 5700XT is top of the list But only on Catalina. See barefeats for 5700XT comparison benchmarks. afaik, no Nvidia cards work with Mojave or Catalina. EDIT: flashed Nvidia cards work on Mojave.

Last edited:

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
I have the RX 590 (Gigabyte) and it works great for me on Mojave & Catalina. If you want the latest and greatest, the 5700XT is top of the list But only on Catalina. See barefeats for 5700XT comparison benchmarks. afaik, no Nvidia cards work with Mojave or Catalina.

Does 5700XT need Flash? Or buy it and plug it in. Thanks

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
Plug and play with the latest Catalina 10.15.2 update. Keep in mind the Mac Pro 5,1 needs a patcher to run Catalina b/c it isn’t officially supported by Catalina.

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
This is it. is that right?

I can not see AMD Radeon. It only some brand Asus. MSI. SAPHIRE.... Are they the same?

Can i contact you with facebook messenger?

Last edited:

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I have the RX 590 (Gigabyte) and it works great for me on Mojave & Catalina. If you want the latest and greatest, the 5700XT is top of the list But only on Catalina. See barefeats for 5700XT comparison benchmarks. afaik, no Nvidia cards work with Mojave or Catalina.
I’m using a flashed Nvidia GT 640 1GB ($80) with Mojave. I doubt it will work on Catalina if I go that route.

Reactions: Nguyên Thành

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
I’m using a flashed Nvidia GT 640 1GB ($80) with Mojave. I doubt it will work on Catalina if I go that route.

I need something that doesn't need Flash but works on a Mac Pro. because in Japan the salesmen they don't know. or don't like to answer.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
This is it. is that right?

Asus, PowerColor, Sapphire...all the same.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I was so confused when I chose a Graphic card for Mac Pro 5.1. Currently I'm traveling in Japan. I went to Akihabara to look for a Graphic card but when I asked the seller. He doesn't know if it will work for Mac Pro or not. So this post I want to ask: 1. Do my cards below work for Mac Pro, don't need Flash? Please let me know, because i I saw them write "WINDOWS, 7,10". But If you don't need Flash, it still works great on Mac and windows?

3. Radeon RX 560 4GB

The most important info is missing. Which version of OSX / macOS you are going to use with this graphic card?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I have a " spare " GPU it is an AMD Sapphire Dual-X 3 gb - it works with Mojave flashed or unflashed.

I got it for about ¥6,000

I have since EFI flashed it, it is very reliable when needed but I prefer using my MSI Armor RX 580 8 gb.

==========================
じゃんぱら = Janpara is a 2nd. hand electronice chain store which has a lot of AMD cards. I got the Sapphire there.
LINK : http://www.janpara.co.jp/sale/search/result/?OUTCLSCODE=17

Janpara has RX 560s and RWX 480s

If your Japanese is not up to it get a Japanese friend to do the online purchase for you or do it directly in one of their stores.

Janpara - じゃんぱら.png

Reactions: Nguyên Thành

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
The most important info is missing. Which version of OSX / macOS you are going to use with this graphic card?
I am currently at 10.8.5. but I will change the Graphic card and will upgrade to 10.14 Mojave or Catalina
[automerge]1577665342[/automerge]
I have a " spare " GPU it is an AMD Sapphire Dual-X 3 gb - it works with Mojave flashed or unflashed.

I got it for about ¥6,000

I have since EFI flashed it, it is very reliable when needed but I prefer using my MSI Armor RX 580 8 gb.

==========================
じゃんぱら = Janpara is a 2nd. hand electronice chain store which has a lot of AMD cards. I got the Sapphire there.
LINK : http://www.janpara.co.jp/sale/search/result/?OUTCLSCODE=17

Janpara has RX 560s and RWX 480s

If your Japanese is not up to it get a Japanese friend to do the online purchase for you or do it directly in one of their stores.

View attachment 885486
Thanks for the very helpful information. following the instructions I am looking for Amd Radeon 57000xt. But it seems there is no version of AMD. It only has OC versions of Asus. msi. powercolor .... hmm. I am still looking for it from amazon.jp but hard to find.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

3. Radeon RX 560 4GB
I am currently at 10.8.5. but I will change the Graphic card and will upgrade to 10.14 Mojave or Catalina
[automerge]1577665342[/automerge]

Thanks for the very helpful information. following the instructions I am looking for Amd Radeon 57000xt. But it seems there is no version of AMD. It only has OC versions of Asus. msi. powercolor .... hmm. I am still looking for it from amazon.jp but hard to find.

You have to do it in correct order.

If you upgrade the card, and then upgrade the OS. Then in your list, only GTX680 can work. All other cards won't display anything in 10.8.5.

If you plan to use Mojave, 5700XT also won't work regardless you upgrade the card first or the OS first.

If you are still using the original GPU, and want to go for the Polaris GPU. You have to perform a 2 steps upgrade (upgrade to High Sierra with your current GPU -> upgrade the GPU -> further upgrade to Mojave)

From your question, it seems you have no idea about the exact requirement to run Catalina. In this case, my suggestion is to avoid it. Catalina isn't supported for cMP. And 5700XT can only work in 10.15.2 or later. If I were you, I will avoid this combination to avoid any unexpected issue (e.g. Stuck at no boot condition after OS upgrade / NVRAM reset / etc.

Reactions: TheStork

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
You have to do it in correct order.

If you upgrade the card, and then upgrade the OS. Then in your list, only GTX680 can work. All other cards won't display anything in 10.8.5.

If you plan to use Mojave, 5700XT also won't work regardless you upgrade the card first or the OS first.

If you are still using the original GPU, and want to go for the Polaris GPU. You have to perform a 2 steps upgrade (upgrade to High Sierra with your current GPU -> upgrade the GPU -> further upgrade to Mojave)

From your question, it seems you have no idea about the exact requirement to run Catalina. In this case, my suggestion is to avoid it. Catalina isn't supported for cMP. And 5700XT can only work in 10.15.2 or later. If I were you, I will avoid this combination to avoid any unexpected issue (e.g. Stuck at no boot condition after OS upgrade / NVRAM reset / etc.

Thank you for giving me more information. I am still investigating it. I forgot that I need a card to upgrade to Hight Serria first. means I will have to use 2 video cards. one to backup when installing the operating system (ex: Gtx680) and Rx5700xt to use, right? I used to use NVDIA GTX 780 Flash for Mac before, but it had a problem with the booting and couldn't get to the home screen desktop so I needed a good Graphic card to be able to edit videos. Currently I am replacing the broken GTX780 with GT120. Can GT120 install High Seria?

wallah

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
@Nguyên Thành, When you have time before the upgrade, carefully review this wiki post that will cover everything you need: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/

It has 2 main sections. The first half of the wiki describes the types of compatible cards. It also describes potential problems with some cards, so once you decide on a card, review that section again.

The second section of the wiki gives you detailed steps for the OS upgrades, specifically the location of where to *download* the right bootROM versions of High Sierra and Mojave. The regular OS update won't take you to the bootROM update procedure, which is necessary for the Mojave upgrade. And as @h9826790 points out, you need to follow a specific sequence of using your old card which works on High Sierra, then your new card for Mojave while doing the bootROM updates.

The wiki has a huge amount of excellent info in it, so you can stick with the first post and likely won't have to read the hundreds of comments--but you can search them easily for issues with your specific card :)

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
@Nguyên Thành, When you have time before the upgrade, carefully review this wiki post that will cover everything you need: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/

It has 2 main sections. The first half of the wiki describes the types of compatible cards. It also describes potential problems with some cards, so once you decide on a card, review that section again.

The second section of the wiki gives you detailed steps for the OS upgrades, specifically the location of where to *download* the right bootROM versions of High Sierra and Mojave. The regular OS update won't take you to the bootROM update procedure, which is necessary for the Mojave upgrade. And as @h9826790 points out, you need to follow a specific sequence of using your old card which works on High Sierra, then your new card for Mojave while doing the bootROM updates.

The wiki has a huge amount of excellent info in it, so you can stick with the first post and likely won't have to read the hundreds of comments--but you can search them easily for issues with your specific card :)
I had a look at that article. Thank you for your enthusiastic guidance on the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.