Help me convince my IT guy to switch me to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dpaslay, Jan 9, 2009.

1. dpaslay macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a Graphic Designer and I have Leopard at home but not at work, I asked my IT guy to switch me over but he said "why" and I said because it's faster and better looking, and he said "sorry that's not good enough, leopard isn't faster, I need something more convincing". What can I tell him? I think it's faster and doesn't CS3 run better on Leopard?

2. rockos macrumors member

faster
    better security
    better back ups
    easier to fix....screen sharing ichat,
    besides why not

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And a lot of that requires another Mac in the picture too.

I'm sure you sold them right there.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. JLatte macrumors 6502

You could use metaphors... such as Windows is like a thick carpet. It's hard to clean, requires vacuuming and certain substances have a tendency to gather in the fibers requiring steam cleaning. The only way to protect against these substances is by laying down lots of carpet protection such as newspapers, paper towels, etc. Too much maintenance.

Macs are like hardwood floors. Just need a towel and a sponge and you're good to go. Much more slick and easier to clean up, get more work done faster and more efficiently.

Hope this helps!

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Since he's a graphic designer, I would assume he's using a Mac and I'm guessing that he's currently running Tiger... am I right?

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If I were your IT person, depending on how I was (or wasn't) backing you up, this would sell me:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can't backup in a Windows managed environment right guys? :rolleyes:

I could understand something along the lines of improving workflow but I'd suggest that the OP show off them working on a Mac vs. how much productivity is lost using Windows.

9. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

A lot of people (except themoonisdown) are assuming he's using windows, I don't know why, he didn't says "Help me convince my IT guy to switch me to OSX" he said to Leopard, which to me probably means he's on Tiger

10. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

If you dealing with large images, 64-bit Windows version of CS4 is much faster.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

If it's a Windows-managed environment like the one I work in, Macs are a complete afterthought and nobody wants to touch them.

Windows users have Active Directory policies that hide their local drives from them and map their "My Documents" to Network Appliances, preventing the user from storing data on their local machine. If their local machine dies, it's immediately replaced, and the user is up and running with zero data loss.

Mac users here are unmanaged and nobody in IT really wants to touch them. Mac users were given instructions on how to mount to the Network Appliance and given the guidance "copy your important stuff up there". There's zero followup after that.

So yes, Time Machine would be a compelling feature to get IT to upgrade a Mac user from Tiger to Leopard (where I work).

12. stuarthatto macrumors regular

ooo - because its new and shiny??

that should win the IT guy over - seriously Leopard took some steps backwards smb-wise and if you step back from the Mac-fanboi-world many of us exist in, would you just upgrade to Vista because its pretty? Why no, of course not, so why is a Leopard upgrade so compelling?

reality needs to kick in

13. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

It's not really clear why YOU want Leopard instead of (we all assume) Tiger, never mind whether you can use those same reasons to convince your IT people why THEY should want you running Leopard.

Is Time Machine appropriate for network setups? Wouldn't documents normally be stored centrally with central backup systems anyway?

14. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

If your a girl..you could try sleeping with him. i heard IT guys like that. :D

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So your IT guys are making this decision?

Ask him how he justifies his salary. Whatever he says, your answer is "sorry that's not good enough, I need something more convincing".

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

The step forward that Leopard took over Tiger is so obvious in my daily use of the computer that I would remove OS X from my Macbook and install Vista before I'd go back to Tiger.

17. DaveF macrumors 6502a

That you're the customer and he's the service provider. That you know what you need to do your job and he doesn't. That his job is to provide the technology tools that you need, and that includes Leopard.

If you have the unfortunate situation that the IT people determine how you do your job, then you can observe:
    * Spotlight is faster, more useful, and more efficient and will improve your work flow. (This is a case where Leopard is faster than Tiger)
    * Time Machine provides you with a safety net during work; it is easier to use than Windows network recovery service (does your IT provide that) and is hourly instead of semi-daily
    * Spaces provides a more flexible computer work environment, making you more efficient
    * Stacks
    * Dashboard is much improved, and have useful new widgets
    * Bootcamp (beta & expired for Tiger)
    * Parallels & VMWare improved for Leopard

18. dpaslay thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice!

Wow, thanks for the reply's dudes! So yeah I am on Tiger at work. And I am a dude (sorry), and yep your right, they have no right to justify my work flow...thanks for the last reply, good one!

- Peace

Let's hope this works