Help me decide...Ipad 1 vs. 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bgro, Apr 13, 2011.

1. bgro macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Okay I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on an iPad tommorow after weeks of debating. Now my only decision is which one to get. I have a choice between the following:

iPad 1 32GB Wifi - $399 (from Verizon)
    iPad 2 16GB Wifi - $499

I have an iPhone 4 and a Macbook and I'm planning on using my iPad mainly for browsing the internet on the couch, reading ebooks, and most importantly, accessing my home computers on the go using Logmein Ignition (Im studying from my CPA and need access to my study programs and don't feel like lugging my laptop everywhere). Also want to do some lite excel/work processing using Numbers and Pages. Would also like to tinker around with Garageband (although I have a Macbook with Garageband already).

I will not be using the iPad to take pictures but if I had the 2 I MIGHT use it for Facetime although I'm fine just using my iPhone for that (have Facetime on my Macbook too).

It seems that the iPad 1 would be fine for my needs but for some reason, I want the iPad 2 lol. I'm also a little worried that 16GB won't be enough room which also points to me getting the iPad 1. I've watched some comparison videos and although the iPad 2 looks faster, the ipad 1 seems fine for my needs.

I think I've just talked myself into the 1 while writing this post lol. Any reason I should reconsider? The main thing that worries me is future compatabliity with new iOS releases/features (in the next two years as I would probably upgrade after that).

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is the only reason why I would recommend and iPad 2 over the first generation, it seems more future proof.

Also, it took me a wile but now I really like the iPad 2's thinner form factor, it just feels better when I carry it around the house for when I travel.

3. bgro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes this is probably what is holding me back from getting the 1. But.....as long as the 1 is future proof for the next 2 years (most likely iOS 5 & iOS 6) then I'm fine...

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I would definitely get the 2 over the first gen at this point. Not only do you get the added option of FaceTime if you so desired it, you'd get a much thinner, lighter, and faster product.

I got a wifi model for now because I have access to wifi everywhere I would need it, for now. If you expect to travel to places that don't have wifi but do have good data coverage, then the 3G makes more sense.

You would also be getting a model that would be easier to resell if that was a concern later on. For me all of those factors made the discount on the iPad 1 not worthwhile.

5. supermanfan macrumors member

I Vote iPad 2

I just bought a used iPad 1 16GB Wifi over the weekend for $300. I have played with an iPad 2 before this, so I was quickly and consistently aware of how much heavier the iPad 1 is. 15% doesn't sound like a lot, but you notice it.

Target just got a bunch of iPad 2's this week, so I picked up a 16GB Black WiFi. To me, it is worth the $240 extra. The iPad 1 will go back to Craiglist this weekend.

I was previously rationalizing it as being happy to have an iPad device for a low entry-cost. Now I am happy to have an iPad 2. I appreciate it more.

6. sineplex macrumors 6502

If you're worried about having only 16Gb you can stream movies and files on the fly from your macbook so u don't really need the extra storage.
    Get the iPad 2 !

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

The screen quality is the most important piece of real estate on any device I buy; this is where my eyes spend the majority of my time, glued to my iPad. Since the resolution is essentially equivalent between the original and the iPad 2, I justified that it was a better investment for me to save some money for accessories. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of time for the iPad to be outdated between now and iPad 3.

I love the design and extra features of the iPad 2, but I prefer the build quality and current savings of the original iPad. It's a good place to start unless you're looking for the best and have money to spend.

-C

8. menist macrumors regular

menist

I had the same problem a few weeks back. I decided to get the Ipad 1 16GB wifi refurbish from apple.com. To me, I'll wait until apple update the ipad with a HD, better resolution screen.

9. Joey47 macrumors newbie

Get the 1. You will truly appreciate the extra space. Screens are the same and weight is very minimal unless you are a weakling. Speed difference while on the net on sites are not even noticeable. Also the abundance of accessories for the 1 are abundant and half price.

10. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I love my original. It feels solid and does everything I expect of it. Couch surfing or looking up something quick without having to pull my MacBook out of it's bag.

The camera on the iPad 2 is a neat feature to play with for a while the same as my iPod touch 4th gen. The only problem is I feel that moving to the iPad 2 just doesn't feel worthwhile to upgrade.

I will wait for the iPad 3 down the road. Perhaps then we will see the shock factor of an iPad "retina" display in the same size form factor and maybe 128GB of storage (dreamland... I know... :rolleyes:)

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Depends on what you mean by future proof. If you mean usable with most apps currently out, then yes. If you mean able to work with most 'ooh, gotta have that apps' that can be released, maybe a year.

My ipod touch v1 started to not being able to run the newer apps by the time the v3 started to come out. I'm figuring it will be the same for the ipad.

12. Mjmar macrumors 65816

13. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    Agreed on the future proof part. Are you going to rush out for the iP3? I'm probably the wrong person to ask, I still have yet to upgrade to the PS3 and I'm still eating cold cuts from the late 90s (THEY WERE ON SALE AT COSTCO...DO NOT JUDGE ME)

14. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Likely, considering the hardware you already own, you'll be happy with either purchase. My nascence experience with the iPad 1 has not extended beyond playing around with it in the Apple Store last year.

On the other hand, I mail ordered iPad 2, sight unseen the day it came out. For the next two weeks I anguished over all the discounted first-generation iPads but held steady for my true love. In the end, I think the iPad 2 is worth it — certainly not for the crappy camera — definitely for the faster processing and more generous RAM capacity. This is my de facto laptop.

But again, for your needs, if you don't like the speed of your sofa-bound iPad 1, you can always grab your MacBook. ;)

15. OSMac macrumors 65816

iMovie is fun on the 2 gives a purpose to the cameras.

If the iPad 3 has a retina display,
    the resale value of the 1 and 2 will be not very different,
    as everyone will want the 3 I'd bet.

Personally I like the iPad 1 design better with the flat edges,
    but the slight speed bump browsing and iMovie make the 2 worthwhile.

Really only reason to get the 1 is to save money,
    find the cheapest used one you can, or enjoy upgrades on the 2.

16. PadJunkie macrumors member

iPad 2 feels a lot faster

The killer feature of the iPad 2 is the extra speed and memory. These features don't allow you to do anything you couldn't do on iPad 1, but the difference is pretty dramatic and well worth the difference in price.

Everything feels instant and silky smooth on iPad 2, whereas iPad 1 often felt sluggish and balky.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

ipad 1 for 399 dollars is too expensive. 32GB storage is useful as long as you use them, but if you are not.. 16GB is more of my recommendation.

iPad 2 is more recommended because it is pretty nice upgrade from iPad 1.

This isn't upgrade like from 3G to 3GS. They upgraded pretty much everything except screen resolution.

18. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Double the Ram and a much better CPU and GPU.

They are the reasons to upgrade. The Ram of the iPad 1 is the biggest concern in the coming year or so.

Plus iPad 2 can do WYSIWYG HDMI out. That's awesome.

19. torchflameon macrumors member

This is why I got a used iPad 1. To me this upgrade was not as significant, I don't see iPad 1 being outdated for a while. Even the first iPod touch can still be used.

I guess it all depends if the first person uses it for or not.

The iPad 2 has a really small hard drive for the price.

The deals are just really good for iPad 1. If you don't use cameras that much, there is not a point. This thing is still pretty fast.

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

21. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Neither the iPad nor iPad 2 have any hard drive.

22. EnterTheSwamp macrumors member

Ipad 2. It's better for surfing the Internet and more future proof. If your going to just use it at home, then who cares about the 3G . Mine I use mainly from home. iPhone 4 is for out and about.

23. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Just pay the extra 100 to get the iPad 2... otherwise whats the point... youl only end up thinking "Why didnt i pay the extra 100 to get a newer version"

thats not that much cash

24. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

agreed.

the thinness doesn't seem like a lot but the reduced weight, form, and thinness together add up to a more easy time holding the device.