Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I left the iPhone after the 3GS for the HTC Evo. Since I have not looked back due to the freedom I have with Android. I bought an iPad 2 on launch day and I totally LOVE IT. I then upgraded to the Evo 3D. I was sure I would never root it. I was happy with it, but me being me...I rooted it. Now I spend hours hunting roms and kernel combos for better speed/batt life, etc.
I came across an iphone 4 the other week. I have been using it as an iPod. I set it up basically the way I would have my phone. I totally cannot get over just how much more fluid iOS is to Android. Stuff just works. I hate the idea of not being able to mount it and use as mass storage or itunes to do everything even the smaller screen.
I am on Sprint right now. I decided I was going to port to Verizon this week. I was going to get the Galaxy Nexus. Now I am seriously considering getting the 4S.
Advise me without bias please...I'm about to be locked in for 2 years...I need to make the right decision.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Advise me without bias please...I'm about to be locked in for 2 years...I need to make the right decision.

Everyone is biased one way or another. You're asking people on a Apple fan site to provide advise :roll eyes:

Bottom line is its your decision, the iPhone is a great phone, provided you are enmeshed in the apple ecosystem. If you've been using android and are happy with it, then stick with it. Figure out your needs and see which phone best meets those needs.

auxsend

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Sounds like you need to make an OS decision.

If you truly prefer iOS, the 4s would be the obvious decision.

The Nexus however is one incredible piece of smart phone, plus it will be running the newest iteration of Android.

So you just need to ask yourself if you prefer iOS or Droid, and that should be the determining factor in the end.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I had 3 Android phones before I switched to the iPhone 4. It was an amazing switch, I was shocked. I had so much trouble with Android, even after custom ROMs, ect. (actually, those WERE a lot of the problem)

I haven't even jailbroken my iPhone(s). It just works, it's amazing.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

You have experience with both platforms. You should be able to make the decision on your own as to which you prefer. That's really what it boils down to, unless there's some other question you didn't speak to in your post.

As to the two year lock-in, I think you're perceiving it incorrectly. With either platform you are quite able to buy a different phone without subsidy from various sources and switch if you like, reselling the phone you're getting rid of to recoup much of the cost. Same with carriers; you can always cancel the contract and pay the early-termination fee, then sell the phone to recoup most if not all of the ETF money.

I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine Verizon also has an exchange program in the first 30 days to where you can pick a phone, try it out, and if you don't like it you switch to a different one. I know AT&T lets you do this once, check the T&C at Verizon.

Worst case any of these changes might cost a few $$, but you're definitely not "locked in" for two years.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
You've used both Android and iOS. You should know both the strength and weaknesses of both. So the final decision is up to you. I'm not gonna lie the Galaxy Nexus is a really nice phone and there are a couple features I wish Apple would have added to the iPhone 4S.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I say get the 4S and see how you like it. You have 14 days to return it... if you like it past the 14 days but hate it 2 months later you can sell it at a much higher value than a used Android handset (this is based on looking on ebay sales of used iPhone 4s vs used Galaxy S2s) and you can just sell it on ebay and pick up a slightly used Galaxy Nexus for a lot lower price than the full price cost of a unsubsidized one because the value of Android phones fall a hell of a lot faster than iPhones.

I am about to switch over the iPhone on At&t for the HSPA+ and joining my parent's family plan is cheaper than having my own line. Coming for the EVO 4G like you had previously too. I know now what I'll miss the most is Google Navigation and the free wifi tether app from my rooted phone also the fun of rooting and rom searching. It was sometimes a bother but sometimes a fun little hobby.

What I WON'T miss is killing 50% of my battery in the matter of 3 hours with light surfing (mostly on this forum)

Biggest question is why are you leaving Sprint for Verizon?

Will the G Nexus be LTE? If so that's another thing to consider.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
you can also jb the iphone and have more freedom.

I think you know what answer you want though. I mean, you just came to an iPhone board on MacRumors asking if you should switch to an iPhone. You're probably just looking for encouragement before you do what you already know you want to do.

Enjoy your iPhone!:D

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I think I may wait to port until the Nexus is out, so I can play with both at the same time and see which I like the best. One fear I have is I was dead set on getting the "iPhone 5" when everyone thought it was going to have a bigger screen and new design. I know a new design is right around the corner. I was disappointed in the 4S, but if I have to buy a new device, I must get that instead of the 4.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I think I may wait to port until the Nexus is out, so I can play with both at the same time and see which I like the best. One fear I have is I was dead set on getting the "iPhone 5" when everyone thought it was going to have a bigger screen and new design. I know a new design is right around the corner. I was disappointed in the 4S, but if I have to buy a new device, I must get that instead of the 4.

I hope they can change the screen size without increasing the form factor too much. I am a bit sick of how friggin big the EVO 4G is. It's ok for 2 handed use but if you are just scrolling with the phone it one hand it's gets a little hard to grip, it just doesn't sit comfortably because I have medium sized hands.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I hope they can change the screen size without increasing the form factor too much. I am a bit sick of how friggin big the EVO 4G is. It's ok for 2 handed use but if you are just scrolling with the phone it one hand it's gets a little hard to grip, it just doesn't sit comfortably because I have medium sized hands.

C'mon...It's not that big. It is almost perfect to me. After holding it for so long, the smaller iPhone is hard to hold on to..lol. The Nexus is 4.65".

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
C'mon...It's not that big. It is almost perfect to me. After holding it for so long, the smaller iPhone is hard to hold on to..lol. The Nexus is 4.65".

I was laying in bed the other day trying to browse while in bed... my wife was laying on me (pinning down my left arm) and I was trying to scroll one handed and I dropped the phone on her head. :p

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
I went from my Android phones to the iPhone just because of how well everything works and I am tired of getting left behind in software updates. I would choose the iPhone over the Galaxy Nexus any day, in fact I don't even care that it is coming out. I would choose the iPhone but it really is a personal decision. You have what, like 14 days to return it if you don't like it.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I was laying in bed the other day trying to browse while in bed... my wife was laying on me (pinning down my left arm) and I was trying to scroll one handed and I dropped the phone on her head. :p

haha!! Don't believe you. :D

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
It sounds to me like you want the hardware and software stability of iOS with the customization of android. And in my opinion the 4S with iOS 5 is the perfect effort. With notification center I really can't get myself to care about jail breaking anymore. Sure it's not as good as androids customization but I don't miss it when everything works so beautifully. It's not, but it's almost like asking if you would really miss flash enough to justify the downsides of having it.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

We're you googling what do I do if my wife is laying on me?

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
OP, you won't get an unbiased advice on a forum site. Go to an Android fan site, and they'll tell you to get a Nexus. Don't let others tell you what to buy, go with what you prefer.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
As others have said, you need to sort this out for yourself. It's like shopping for anything else. If all else fails sit down, take a pen and paper and list out what matters to you, what you want and what you don't want. Prioritize your list and then figure out which option best suits you.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I am ordering a 32g white 4S right now with Verizon. As much as I love Android and want to see Ice Cream sandwich work, the way the iPhone works is impressing me.
One major this is this. The battery life is horrible. This ip4 I have has sat off charge for days. My 3D will die within 9 hrs on some days. Hate it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.