Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treadstone77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Hello everyone!

I need help deciding on which Macbook to buy. During these economic times I want to be as econimical as possible.

Now my current laptop is a Gateway MX 3558 14.1 inch. It has an Intel 1.73 MHz Solo Processor with 512 MB of ram. It only has a 60GB HD. I have been using this computer as my only computer over the last 3 years and it is now running out of hard disk space and is getting rather slow.

1. Do I need a new computer or should I just get more RAM which would cost ~$50 for 1GB which is the max expansion (total 1.5 GB Ram).

2. Since my laptop will be my only computer should I get the 2.0 or the 2.4?

I live in Canada so the price difference will be around ~$400 between the two models (including taxes and an EPP discount).

I use the computer more for word documets, excel, school work. I don't really play games at all.

I'm also looking to get a 1TB external drive for time machine, a new Logitech mouse and possibly an external monitor. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

calebmedia

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Go with the white macbook $999 it will do everything you want. The new one has no firewire (no firewire drive will easily work) And you can get up to 3 GB of ram (see prices here)

Hope this help!
Cheers,

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
The 2.0 version would be perfect for you since you dont do intensive tasks and you are trying to save $$$$. Now for your everyday tasks I would even recommend getting a last gen. macbook if you are not that interested in the new design. You can get a laptop with similar specs for a lower price and you wont notice much difference since you wont be playing games nor doing anything intensive. Like you, I come from a gateway laptop and my black macbook is MUCH faster and stable than the mx6450 (2.0 turion 1gb ram).

Never mind, I see you want the aluminum design. If you have the cash and really want to spend it, then go with the 2.4. If you want to save $$, then get the 2.0 and later on if you want more performance get 4 gb of ram.

Gene Parmesan

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Things to think about:
You can never upgade the processor.
The backlit keyboard included with the 2.4 model is a convenience, but the ambient light from the screen will suffice to see the keys in darker conditions.
If you're just gonna do word, excel, school work, then the 2.0 - even with just 2GB memory - will be plenty! If you can afford to upgrade to 4GB RAM, you can juggle more programs.

The only reasons I'd go for the 2.4 model would be:
If I wanted to do Photoshop work and "light" video editing and* if I had the extra money in my budget.

Good luck!

guthy-lux

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
If you have money to get a macbook, it's always better to sell old PC when it's still can be sold.

If just for word documets, excel, school work, replace RAM and HDD would be fine with that CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380+1309733643&nm_mc=OTC-RSS

I think you can't feel the difference of CPU clock between 2.0 and 2.4. Just video encoding or that kind of task will be longer. you can upgrade HDD easily. So 2.0 is fine unless you want back-lit keyboard.

cylofe

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
I'd get the new macbook rather than the old ones. U get better DDR3 and the trackpad is so cutting edge and useful!

2.0 versus 2.4 really depends on what you do. 2.0 is way enuf for your average browsing word process ... personally i think 300 bucks is too expensive for the cpu speed and hard drive space for me to upgrade to the 2.4 model... like others said, those extra neat features on the 2.4 such as backlight, really isn't all that useful to me. it's nice to have, but as part of the 300 bucks cost, certainly not for me

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
The extra CPU power from 2.4 is slim to none, you get a small boost (5-10% tops) in stuff like .rar file building and other extremely CPU intensive things.

Photoshop and so on only gave a few percent increase.

Get the 2.4 if you cannot live without the backlit keyboard.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hello everyone!

I need help deciding on which Macbook to buy. During these economic times I want to be as econimical as possible.

Now my current laptop is a Gateway MX 3558 14.1 inch. It has an Intel 1.73 MHz Solo Processor with 512 MB of ram. It only has a 60GB HD. I have been using this computer as my only computer over the last 3 years and it is now running out of hard disk space and is getting rather slow.

1. Do I need a new computer or should I just get more RAM which would cost ~$50 for 1GB which is the max expansion (total 1.5 GB Ram).

2. Since my laptop will be my only computer should I get the 2.0 or the 2.4?

I live in Canada so the price difference will be around ~$400 between the two models (including taxes and an EPP discount).

I use the computer more for word documets, excel, school work. I don't really play games at all.

I'm also looking to get a 1TB external drive for time machine, a new Logitech mouse and possibly an external monitor. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

If you wish to be economical and still want to fall in love with the Al MacBook, then get the 2.0GHz model. However, if you want that fancy backlit keyboard, extra HDD, and a faster 2.4GHz processor, then go for that model then.

Either one, you will love your new MacBook. Both models will be more than plenty for your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.