Help me diagnose a problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

my friend's laptop is acting funny. I'll just copy and paste what she texted me

"The first time it randomly shut off was a few months back but this rarely happened. Then in the past few days the screen would go black, like while i'm skyping with friends and the screen got or computer were moved at all... i would press the power button and then it was as if it had been in sleep mode but was not off, skype was still running when logging back in. Then it started shutting off and it would turn right back on always or after a few tries. but after turning back on sometimes i would hit a key or click the mouse and it would shut back off.

It was working well in class last night but once i got home it wouldn't even turn on"

I've run an apple hardware test on it and it passed without issues. I'm running the extensive test on it now. Any ideas what could be going on?

2. Medusa3 macrumors regular

Medusa3

I had to take my old MBPnr in and have them resolder something. Has she dropped it?

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Don't thinks she's dropped it

4. Medusa3 macrumors regular

Medusa3

I'd still make a Genius bar appt; let them troubleshoot it - ESPECIALLY if it's under warranty

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I plan to. Just figured I'd try to find out whats going on in the meantime.

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

7. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I actually just did that about an hour ago. I took it apart and found a whole lot of dust inside. I cleaned it out and reset smc. I was thinking maybe the fans were broken since I didn't feel any air coming out. Thought maybe laptop was overheating and shutting itself down. Found a wall of dust blocking the vent. Swooooshhhh

Running stress tests to see if it will shut down again. So far so good! :)

8. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Sounds that your friend is in good hands. Maybe you've saved her some time and $. : -)