help me guys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lui33, Feb 8, 2011.

1. lui33 macrumors newbie

i just bought my first macbook pro from a friend of mine and am having problems with it i want to completly erase the hard drive and install os x on it but its not cooperating with me i put in my os x disk and it load up i click install and then utilities and then it restarts but it never boots up the disk utilities it just stays on the gray apple logo at first i thought i had to let it wait for a few minutes but i left it over night and the thing didn't boot at this point i thought it was the os x disk that was causing the problem since it was a bit scratched so i went to my local bestbuy and bought a new copy tried again to boot disk utilities and as of now its been at the same apple screen for 4 hours any advise what to do guys please? am new to this stuff

thanks for taking your time and reading this

2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Are you booting from the disc correctly upon restart

Did you to to disc utility and make sure your hd is fine

Is the super drive failing ?

3. lui33 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no idea what you told me man am sorry its my first mac and yea i have also tryed to boot after reboot by pressing "C" or options nothign works nothign boots it just stays on the gray apple logo screen the little spinning circle doesnt even show up

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Punctuation is your friend.

So, from the moment you first powered it up, this is what you are getting? Did you see it in operation when your friend had it?

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Hold "C" while starting the computer. Should boot to the CD then where you pick the language, go to the top and select "Utilities" then "Disk Utility" and then format the HDD. Then quit "Disk Utility" then continue with the installation of OS X.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

wait a minute so what disk did you try to start it up from and what year macbook pro did you have because if its a model from 2010 and the disk that you have is a retail leopard disk then it will not work on the newer machines for those you will need to have the original first disk that came with the machine that contains os x and the other one contains ilife if you need another set of these disks you'll have to call apple but really those machines shouldn't be sold/transferred without getting those disks good luck have fun

7. lui33 thread starter macrumors newbie

am sorry about punctuation i actually have exams tomorow so am rushing this i just want to wipe the computer clean and yea it works am using it i just want a clean install of os x and erase everything

8. lui33 thread starter macrumors newbie

it is a 2010 model i guess i can't do anything with it without those disks huh oh well ill try to get them, if i cant thought i can always get them from apple right?

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Correct. If the disk you had originally (that was scratched up) *was* the included disk then you'll need to get new ones from Apple. You might be charged a nominal fee or they may send them up to you for free. If not then maybe you could beat up your friend or something while screaming "Gimme those disks!!".

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

That's funny Eddy. :p