Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angieutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Well my title is pretty self-explanatory. When it gets down to it...I'm afraid to leave the iphone due to the app store. Now, before you flame, yes I know that many of apps found on Apple are found on Android. However, I can't make peace with the fact that developers go to IOS first and then Android.

Also, I have seen where the same app is not up to par on Android as it is on IOS.

Is there anybody out there who pauses on buying the Android even though you know it's the better phone for you because of the apps? Surely, I'm not alone :eek:

P.S. If I were to go to Android -- are they any good health record and pet health record apps available?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I've had no problems with the play store. I have found every app that I have needed and have been happy with them. You can browse the store right from you computer as well. Search around it for apps that your looking for.

http://play.google.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Not gonna lie, it's the one area iOS has android licked. The apps on iOS are nicer and provide greater functionality long before android can catch up.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes I've had a lot of Android handsets past couple of years (alongside iOS), and as improved as Play Store has become, the fact remains the App Store on iOS beats it heads down for app section, pricing (special offers & reductions), compatibility.

Another consideration is if you are an iPad and iPhone owner, you get the app for both devices (universal) in most cases for one price.

Whereas if you switch to Android but still keep your iPad you may end up having to buy the app twice.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
In short: you'll live.

The disparity in apps is really overblown. Not only are there almost as many apps as the App Store, a lot of the main ones very good for both platforms. And as Android proliferates in general, it'll become more and more even grounded with the App Store. http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/google-play-hits-25-billion-app-downloads/

We can only look forward to improvements.

Having said that, if you feel iOS apps are significantly better, stick with iOS. If a better phone experience is what you're after, come to Android (and if I could recommend more specifically... come to the Nexus line. Nexus 2012 is around the corner...).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The app explosion has already reached it's peak. When iOS was completely dominate in the app world, companies would develop apps for iOS first, sometimes a whole year difference. Now most of the apps that everyone refers to, already exist on both iOS and Android. Today, any newly released apps are released on both iOS and Android instead of being released on iOS first and waiting a months for an Android release. People are stereotyping based on how things were.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well my title is pretty self-explanatory. When it gets down to it...I'm afraid to leave the iphone due to the app store. Now, before you flame, yes I know that many of apps found on Apple are found on Android. However, I can't make peace with the fact that developers go to IOS first and then Android.

Also, I have seen where the same app is not up to par on Android as it is on IOS.

Is there anybody out there who pauses on buying the Android even though you know it's the better phone for you because of the apps? Surely, I'm not alone :eek:

P.S. If I were to go to Android -- are they any good health record and pet health record apps available?

I definitely noticed this as well. For me, it isn't a deal-breaker, but Android simply does not have the apps that iOS does.

I noticed not very many good writing apps, and also many others missing. Some are also designed differently, so not as good-looking. But the basic apps I need are there, so it's not a big deal to me.

I can get my banking apps, travel apps, Netflix, etc. I can live without a few apps for a better OS overall.

You would have to decide if your main concern is the apps or not. On the iPhone, you can find quality apps for virtually anything. And multiple ones at that. Android, not so much.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
x3. Every app I've ever wanted is in the Play Store. OP just browse https://play.google.com/store and see for yourself if the kinds of apps you want are available. If you have a question about a particular app, there's probably a YouTube review on it you can watch. If you like what you see, then make the switch.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that you can't find the same app on android, but in terms of full functionality they do lack. For the longest time Scorecenter couldn't receive game alerts on Android. At Bat MLB gamecast on Android looked like something from Atari. Sure it was there, but not anywhere near iOS.

I appreciate both platforms, but there's no denying that app QUALITY is better on iOS.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I figure if you are willing to switch, you have to be willing to let go of the app store.

The only app I miss on my device is Plants Vs Zombies, which oddly enough has been replaced by Zombie Farm... go figure.

There are some apps I have found in Playstore that I would never have thought of in App store.

I guess, is the device change worth the risk of app change, or basically are you addicted to an app launcher.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that you can't find the same app on android, but in terms of full functionality they do lack. For the longest time Scorecenter couldn't receive game alerts on Android. At Bat MLB gamecast on Android looked like something from Atari. Sure it was there, but not anywhere near iOS.

I appreciate both platforms, but there's no denying that app QUALITY is better on iOS.

I have to agree. I found Android counterparts for every app I wanted that I previously used on iOS (only grabbed a small sample on Android) but quality wasn't equal to it's iOS counterpart in many cases (TuneIn radio, ESPN radio, Shopper Pro, Nike+ Running, Yahoo Sportacular, just to name a handful).

angieutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I have to agree. I found Android counterparts for every app I wanted that I previously used on iOS (only grabbed a small sample on Android) but quality wasn't equal to it's iOS counterpart in many cases (TuneIn radio, ESPN radio, Shopper Pro, Nike+ Running, Yahoo Sportacular, just to name a handful).

I definitely noticed this as well. For me, it isn't a deal-breaker, but Android simply does not have the apps that iOS does.

I noticed not very many good writing apps, and also many others missing. Some are also designed differently, so not as good-looking. But the basic apps I need are there, so it's not a big deal to me.

I can get my banking apps, travel apps, Netflix, etc. I can live without a few apps for a better OS overall.

You would have to decide if your main concern is the apps or not. On the iPhone, you can find quality apps for virtually anything. And multiple ones at that. Android, not so much.

Thank you all for the thoughts. Totally how I feel. What a hard decision I have to make.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012

Get an Android phone and then get a new iPod Touch next month for your iOS needs. Problem solved.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Thank you all for the thoughts. Totally how I feel. What a hard decision I have to make.

Now with that said, there a definite advantages to Android.

Right now as it stands apple gave us iOS 6 with a steaming turd for a maps app. Being a closed system and the map kit intertwined in the OS I can't go pick up a map app from the app store and set it as my default. So when I click an address in an email the app store maps app launches and not iOS's. If any of the core apps on a closed system suck, the user experience sucks and becomes a headache.

With Android if you don't like your messaging app, download another and set it as your default. If you don't like your keyboard, find one that works for you, ect ect. It really does allow you to make your phone YOURS.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Which apps are you talking about? All the common apps are on par imo. eBay is pretty damn good. So is Facebook, Twitter has a few really good ones with Tweetcastor which was in Androids app store way before iTunes, Plume is really good(twitter app), Angry Birds is just a good , Shazam is just as good, Flipboard.....all just as good...but i dont know which apps your talking about. The ones that have been around a while are just as good.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you want to come over to Android that badly, you'll live. Really, you'll be fine. Given the better experience of Android as an OS overall, you'll be more than fine, I'd say.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep. The new iPod Touch is basically the iPhone 5 without the cell radio.

Or the A6 processor, or the 1gb of Ram, and if previous iPod touch 4Gen is anything to go by, the screen resolution may be the same, but the actual quality of the screen itself is much poorer too on the iPod touch.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Which apps are you talking about? All the common apps are on par imo. eBay is pretty damn good. So is Facebook, Twitter has a few really good ones with Tweetcastor which was in Androids app store way before iTunes, Plume is really good(twitter app), Angry Birds is just a good , Shazam is just as good, Flipboard.....all just as good...but i dont know which apps your talking about. The ones that have been around a while are just as good.

Exactly. We all heard the vague explanations already which for the most part are based on the past. Time for some real examples. Not to say that an app example or two doesn't exist, but where's the overwhelming proof?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
What apps do you need? I hate to say need since it wasn't that long ago that we were rocking motorazors that didn't do anything but make calls.

Look through your iPhone and see what you feel like is a deal breaker if it's not in the Android Market (or Play Store...whatever you want to call it).

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Or the A6 processor, or the 1gb of Ram, and if previous iPod touch 4Gen is anything to go by, the screen resolution may be the same, but the actual quality of the screen itself is much poorer too on the iPod touch.

Big deal, its hundreds of dollars cheaper than an iPhone and the A5 is a perfectly capable processor.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I was an iPhone user from day one. Picked up a Galaxy S3 three days ago and am not looking back. Got all my music and contacts over with no issues. Was able to find all the apps I had on my iPhone in the Google Play store. The bigger screen is freaking allsome. Sold my 4s on eBay today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.