Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Could you buy a Nexus 7 tablet, try out the newest version of stock Android (aka as it was meant to be), and then return it if you don't like it?

Probably the cheapest and wisest option. You get to see android at its best for the least expense. You can then decide if its for you, and suitable for your daily need. It may be a case that the nexus gives you enough of an android experience.

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
In my experience you can find all the worthy apps on android. Navigating the actual play store sucks but the apps are there. Just gotta sift through a few reviews to make sure the app will work with your specific device.

I am going through a similar situation, I really am eager to get a new non-iPhone but I have a lot of money invested in iOS apps. But then I realized that's what my iPad is for. The iPad is way better for creativity anyway. I don't ask much of a phone these days. I feel like my personal expectations in a phone have been exceeded by apple, android and windows alike. So I'm going to take this rare lull to explore windows phone 8 when the new lumina drops. I still have and will still use my iOS apps on the iPad.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
In short: you'll live.

The disparity in apps is really overblown. Not only are there almost as many apps as the App Store, a lot of the main ones very good for both platforms. And as Android proliferates in general, it'll become more and more even grounded with the App Store. http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/google-play-hits-25-billion-app-downloads/

We can only look forward to improvements.

Having said that, if you feel iOS apps are significantly better, stick with iOS. If a better phone experience is what you're after, come to Android (and if I could recommend more specifically... come to the Nexus line. Nexus 2012 is around the corner...).

This is an excellent post, with sage advice.

About all I would add is this idea. Why not use both, that's what I do.

Frankly after using them both since their very first models, Android is greatly improved as an OS, and the app store, Google play is also well done.

I enjoy my Galaxy S III & iPhone 4S immensely. My new iPhone 5? Not so much.

The 5 is a decent phone, just not to my liking despite lowering my expectations & giving consideration to the fact that as time goes by, Apple will debug iOS & the truly horrid maps.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I figure if you are willing to switch, you have to be willing to let go of the app store.

The only app I miss on my device is Plants Vs Zombies, which oddly enough has been replaced by Zombie Farm... go figure.

There are some apps I have found in Playstore that I would never have thought of in App store.

I guess, is the device change worth the risk of app change, or basically are you addicted to an app launcher.

Plants vs Zombies has been on android for a while now. I know I've had it for at least well over a year now.

picsay-1348720305.jpg

picsay-1348720329.jpg

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Plants vs Zombies has been on android for a while now. I know I've had it for at least well over a year now.

Alas anytime I look to download it, it says Not available for your Country (Canada). I am not interested in side loading games that aren't optimized for my device either......PvZ WAS available for my iPhone :(

Edit* Correction: it now says that the app is incompatible for all of my devices.... :(

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Alas anytime I look to download it, it says Not available for your Country (Canada). I am not interested in side loading games that aren't optimized for my device either......PvZ WAS available for my iPhone :(

Edit* Correction: it now says that the app is incompatible for all of my devices.... :(

Hmmm, it's also coming up incompatible for me. That's odd. IIRC, I got it back when I was running gingerbread on the HTC Inspire and I normally just reinstall my apps using titanium backup. Even though it runs without a hitch, I guess the developer hasn't bothered updating the app to make it compatible with ICS devices and above.

I'll email the dev to see what the deal is.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I find it's easier to search for Apps on the Play Store than it is in the Apps Store. This is on Galaxy Nexus vs. iPad 3rd gen. I don't know what it is, but the App Store just feels more ... gimmicky, fluffed with graphics and whatnot.

I also love that I can download/install from the Play Store website and it'll go directly to phone. Whereas if you hit a link to the App Store, it'll launch iTunes, then you can download/install to your iPad. Once again, forcing iTunes on users is a bit of a frustrating extra step.

Could just be me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Some of the "must have apps" (for us guys) is WatchESPN app.

Some of the apps for Android are not as nice or functional as iOS version.

The Watch ESPN app is prime example. For some reason the sound that comes out of the app is much much lower than the sound that comes out of the Watch espn app for iOS. And it's not the Android phone per se. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a very loud speaker phone and I definitely notice the sound from the espn app to be much lower than say a Youtube video app from the same phone.

Same thing happened with the Gnex and Atrix 4G on watchESPN. Low volume. It's an app problem. The Gnex speaker volume is low. We all know that. But most of us who had the Atrix 4G and Samsung Galaxy S3 all know those are very loud speaker phones.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Yes I've had a lot of Android handsets past couple of years (alongside iOS), and as improved as Play Store has become, the fact remains the App Store on iOS beats it heads down for app section, pricing (special offers & reductions), compatibility.

Another consideration is if you are an iPad and iPhone owner, you get the app for both devices (universal) in most cases for one price.

Whereas if you switch to Android but still keep your iPad you may end up having to buy the app twice.

Google play store also has lots of offers on. Currently a selection of apps for 25p to celebrate the 25th billion app download.

Also, when you buy an app, its linked to your account, not to your phone. So you can download it to any android device thats linked to your account.

You also get 15 minutes after youve bought an app to try it out and get a full refund if you dont like it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Google play store also has lots of offers on. Currently a selection of apps for 25p to celebrate the 25th billion app download.

Also, when you buy an app, its linked to your account, not to your phone. So you can download it to any android device thats linked to your account.

You also get 15 minutes after youve bought an app to try it out and get a full refund if you dont like it.

Same as iOS :) 5 device limit ;-)

the 25c offer is good now, but the frequency of sales is far less on Android. Rarely do you get your big name game sales that we have come to expect on iOS.

The 15 minute offer is great, but I've always found no problem getting refund from apple via the 'report problem' section of itunes account management. Even returned books that way and never had them refuse a refund for an item.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Yes i totally agree on the Nexus 7 tablet. Try it out as long as the return policy allows you to and return it the day before your return policy expires. And see for yourself if android is for you.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Wow. :eek: I'm not sure what people are smoking, but on my S3 I pretty much found all of my 75+ apps that I had on my iPhone 4S and most look as good IF NOT BETTER than the iOS counterparts. Most have MORE functionality because their "settings" menu has much more options. Maybe people are not looking in for settings menu options or something.

The only exception to this is anything that has to do with audio input / processing / output, as ICS has too much audio latency to do things like guitar amp sims. This is supposed to be corrected in JB, but until there are Android audio interfaces and amp sim apps available, this is one of the few things where iOS is better.

Tony

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Most have MORE functionality because their "settings" menu has much more options.

So this.

It's actually ridiculous that apps in iOS will tell you to go the operating system's Settings to change things with that app. It's actually very frustrating, roundabout, and cumbersome. It's another example of how iOS is so simple that it actually hinders usability.

And don't forget the dedicated Back button -- it's a beautiful thing.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about refunds. Wish that 15-minute window was larger, but this is an excellent feature.

Used to be 24 hours and went down to 15 minutes. I think they should of gave us at least an hour to mess it. 15 minutes is too short but i have refunded within that time, only because it wasnt enough time to evaluate and it wasnt going good.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Umm just going to point out side loading and getting the app from the App store are the same apk that is downloaded. There is no optimizing it for the device. Now in the pay store the owners of apps can list only certain devices.
Most common thing to do is just list a minimum API level.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Wow. :eek: I'm not sure what people are smoking, but on my S3 I pretty much found all of my 75+ apps that I had on my iPhone 4S and most look as good IF NOT BETTER than the iOS counterparts.

This has been my experience as well. I found all the apps I used on my iPhone and installed them on my S3. The quality and polish of the apps are right on par with their iPhone counterparts.

I also find the Play Store to be a much superior experience than the App Store.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Umm just going to point out side loading and getting the app from the App store are the same apk that is downloaded. There is no optimizing it for the device. Now in the pay store the owners of apps can list only certain devices.
Most common thing to do is just list a minimum API level.

Hmm, if this is true, then why the warnings against getting apps outside of the play store? Genuinely curious. I was led to believe that there was a much greater risk of virus etc, why, if this is the same apk as you say (I don't know much about this).

Thanks.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Hmm, if this is true, then why the warnings against getting apps outside of the play store? Genuinely curious. I was led to believe that there was a much greater risk of virus etc, why, if this is the same apk as you say (I don't know much about this).

Thanks.

Paranoia probably. All my years with android I've sideloaded hundreds of apps and never got a virus.

The apk's are all the same no matter where they come from.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks.

The difference is the stuff out the store is not vetted. Meaning it can contain malware. Follow the same practice as you do on the computer and only install software from trusted sources.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Yep. The new iPod Touch is basically the iPhone 5 without the cell radio.

Big deal, its hundreds of dollars cheaper than an iPhone and the A5 is a perfectly capable processor.

Sorry, but the new touch is basically a 4S with a 4" display, it in no ways compares to an iPhone 5 which is why it is hundred dollars cheaper. Not to say it won't be good, but it doesn't compare at all.

To the OP, I switched from iOS to Android from April until the iPhone 5 came out, and basWed off of my uses, I only used my Android phone as a hotspot and texts. I am too spoiled by the iOS app store and experience, just my two cents.

I am buying am S3 next week and am going to have both an 5 and S3 for two weeks to make a youtube comparison video. Then selling the S3 because I have an upgrade and do not need it.

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
App store numbers are the new gigahertz.

Do you even own .01% of the apps in the app store?

That reminds me of the time a friend jailbroke and downloaded tons of apps off torrents. He load them all onto his iphone (using up almost all the storage). It actually made the phone pretty unusable. As he had to search to find apps he actually wants to use from the boat load of it. And he never got through all the apps to figure out which one he actually likes. It was pretty funny, especially when his GF found this chinese app which seems to be some sort of girlie cam app and he had used it a few times.

----------

The difference is the stuff out the store is not vetted. Meaning it can contain malware. Follow the same practice as you do on the computer and only install software from trusted sources.

There is a "bouncer" now which is sort of an anti-virus scanner that Google use. The problem is anti-virus scanners have never been very good at picking out novel threats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.