Help me identify this Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MortenMoulder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. MortenMoulder macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Hi, all!

I aquired this Mac Pro, which happened to come without a HDD. I haven't been able to install either Yosemite, El Capitan, or Sierra on it (using several guides), so I'm kind of curious which version this actually is.

This is what I can find about it:

First ricer board has:
    2x 2GB RAM
    2x PCIe ports

Second ricer board has:
    4x 2GB RAM

Looks like they came from the factory like this.

The motherboard has a sticker which says: 9N735003QVNBA 630-7608

The bottom of the case says absolutely nothing of value.

I hope you can help me, so I can get some kind of OS installed on this Mac Pro. Thanks a lot!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That appears to be a 2006 MacPro1,1. The sticker with its serial number should be on the back case at the bottom of where the PCI-E slots are. That should be able to provide with more information. You can also install Lion on to it to see exactly what model it is. Lion can run on all classic design Mac Pros without any changes.

3. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Cool! I did look up the 630-7608 to which I found a Mac Pro model, which did look like the Mac Pro 1,1. However, it seems very weird all Mac Pro 1,1 came with 1GB RAM (as far as I could read), but apparently this one has 12GB. Insane heat spreaders on these RAM sticks.

You say "on the back case at the bottom". So that's on the back side of the motherboard? Or could it be below the GPU installed at the bottom of the PCIe ports?

10.7 Lion is what's supported, yes? So all I need to do is grab a copy of that installer (somewhere legit) and somehow make my USB drive bootable and so on, so I can install it? I'll find a guide, but I just want to make sure haha.

4. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

5. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

You can still get installers for 10.6 and 10.7 from Apple. Contact your local reseller.
    Alternatively, you can buy almost any installer over ebay, but beware that many of these are "home made"

IF you feel like doing some hacking, 1st generation Mac Pro's can be brought at least up to El Capitan (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-on-unsupported-macs.1889851/)

RGDS,

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This page details where the serial number is located on the rear of the machine: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201764. 10.7/Lion is fully supported on all Mac Pros of that design. If you can make an installation USB drive, it'll boot from it. There was an built to order option to have additional memory installed by the factory for Mac Pros. That would explain the 12GB of memory

7. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Ah yeah, I'll try all the free alternatives first. I don't feel like buying an OS that costs as much as I gave for this machine haha.

Thanks, I'll try this El Capitan as well! I haven't found this method before. I'll report back!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2017 ---
    Oooh! I found it. It says:

Model No A1186 EMC No 2113
    2.66 QX/2X 512/7300GT/250/SD

A1186 is either a 2008 or 2009 as it would seem.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a two CPU 2006 MacPro1,1. It originally came with 1GB of memory in the form of two 512MB sticks. They're good machines still. Can be slow at some things, but they upgrade nicely even though they're ten years old.

9. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Ooooh, I was looking at the discontinued date. My bad. Yeah seems like that's the case.
    So that means LGA 771 CPUs. Should be upgradable to some quad core ones.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

12. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Interesting! I'll look into that after installing 10.7 then El Capitan. I can't live with an old OS with good hardware haha. Thanks a lot!

13. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

get a better video card first upgrading past lion doesn't fly well with that 7300 card

14. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Yeah I realised that. It works but it's glitching a lot. I'll throw in a GTS 450 or AMD 5450 this weekend and hopefully that'll work.

15. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I did that upgrade on mine last year. Originally a 1,1 dual 3.0 (4 cores) upgraded to quad 3.0 (8 cores). With an SSD as my OS disk, I'm still amazed how well this old puppy can perform, 10 years later... Obviously not the fastest by 2017 standards (or 2013's...;)) but definitely solid, for my needs at least (film music) - my other Mac Pro (mid-2102 5,1) trounces it in multi-core performance, but what can I do, I love it! :)

16. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of X5365 for mine as well, but they're quite expensive still (about $103 for me from China), so we'll see what I'm going to do haha.

I'm using mine for a server, but it seems quite overkill. Luckily I got this for only $70, so I think I did a good deal haha :p