Help me justify a 32GB iPad 2 vs. 16GB

Discussion in 'iPad' started by S1njin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Hey Gang,

Okay, I can't wrap my brain around this. Let me detail my current situation, and my thought process.

I currently have a 32GB iPhone 4. I love it. I have all my music and apps on it, and I still have about 14GB free. My iPhone 4 is with me at all times. On my commute, I listen to my many podcasts along w/ my music.

I stream all my video content - primarily HBO Go.

Why on earth would I need a 32 GB iPad2? I have no interest in carting it around in my car to do what my iPhone already does quite well. So, using it as a iPod substitute is a non-issue. Its too cumbersome to shoot video on, so forget about that.

I see this as a GREAT device to consume content, but not store it. At least not how I can envision using it.

So why would 16GB leave me wanting? Am I missing something? Some would say spend the 100 bucks to be safe, but a 100 bucks is a 100 bucks ...

????

Thanks in advance !

2. DeaconGTG macrumors member

I put a lot more games on my iPad than I do my iPhone. Some of those games can be fairly large file sizes, so it's nice to have the extra space.

I also store a lot of movies on it. Mainly the free digital copies that come with the blu-rays I've purchased.

Obviously, these factors may not apply to you, but that's why I went with a larger iPad.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't know if you would really get much out of the iPad. Why do you want it?

Personally, I use it for reading PDFs (consumption) and writing (content creation). I would say I get about 90% of my work done on the iPad. I recently upgraded to the iPad2 and got a 32GB one. I could have just as easily used a 16GB one, but I plan to do a lot of traveling and work outside the home this year, so I figured I would get the extra space to be on the safe side.

In the end, it depends on your use. I don't put music, videos (with the exception of a podcast or two), or anything like that in it. Mainly PDFs. But, other people might have a totally different usage scenario. Get the device that fits yours: iPod, iPad, iPhone, or Macbook :)

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Will having the bigger screen on which to consume media motivate you to want to carry more media with you? Video is beefy data so downloading/streaming it eats up data plan capacities quickly. If you might want to sync more- say- movies & TV shows rather than try to continue to stream everything, that extra 16GB could hold the added media.

Do you want to grow your personal collection in the next year? Right now, you're close to the capacity of the device you have. It won't take a lot of new media to push above your limit. If you think you'll have this iPad for a couple of years, will you cross your limit during those 2 years? Again, if you want to carry even a few more movies & TV shows than now, they beg for storage space. Don't be suckered into thinking "I'll store all that in the cloud and just stream" unless you don't mind paying the AT&T & Verizon toll masters when you quickly overrun tier limits.

In a couple of years when you are ready to sell the iPad, the stock unit will probably start at onboard storage greater than 16GB. Your future buyer might see 16GB as just too small (storage) to buy it off of you. This is like buying a "big" hard drive now and then trying to sell it in a few years when it has been reduced to "small" relative to what's available then.

These are the kinds of reasons that might justify the extra $100.

5. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I'll also be using it to read on, though from what I can see iBooks and Kindle content is not large by any stretch. Plus I tend to erase whatever I have read once done.

----------

I hadn't considered resale - point well taken.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have a 16GB and with iCloud that is more than enough.

If a 32GB is purchased, one is simply giving Apple an extra $100 for nothing.

It's not like Apple is struggling with it's cash flow :)

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Can we get past the "I don't need it so nobody does" responses? The most helpful responses relate to how the purchaser intends to use it. If he's going to be within 3G or WiFi range most of the time then it's obviously not going to matter as much as if he's traveling outside of Internet range. I've been on several trips with my iPad where I spent days away from Internet contact and even when I had it it was so expensive that streaming was not an option. So added storage was a boon.

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Given your usage expectations I think you're probably safe in selecting a 16GB model. As another poster pointed out, however, the resale value (and demand that enables a quicker sale) for the 32GB version is something to keep in mind. So in terms of actual cost difference, I suspect you should view it as a $50-$75 penalty rather than $100.

And just as the 32GB version is more flexible for a potential resale buyer, it also gives you more options. If you're absolutely sure your needs won't change and the resale issue isn't critical (after all it's out of pocket vs expected future value), you can stick with the 16GB version. But keep in mind one other factor.

I think if you check the various forums you'll find very few purchasers of 32GB models that regret spending the additional $100. In contrast, you'll find a lot of 16GB owners who wish they'd popped for the next larger size.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

If you plan to read a lot of large PDFs on it, 16GB (really something like 12 if I remember correctly) is tight, and will require access to the cloud and / or frequent file transfers. I was quite pleased with my 16GB iPad, so this is totally do-able.

If you plan to read e-books, though, space doesn't matter. You would have to have several thousand to make a dent (7,000 or so?). It's not a worry.

Again, it totally depends on your usage scenario. If you intend to keep carrying around your phone (probably a good idea), it doesn't sound like you need 32.

As for resale, the argument above doesn't sound very persuasive to me. For the forseeable future, memory will remain expensive, and with cloud advances, it may even become less relevant for many people. More importantly, though, you can sell a 16GB model at a good price (I just sold mine for only a few dollars less than what I originally bought it for). You can sell a 32GB the same way. So, it is still 100 dollars :)

However, jsh1120 is right. I don't know anyone that regretted purchasing the 32GB. Like I said, I was a happy 16GB iPad user, but I know other people who chafed at the limit.

10. ahbdesign macrumors member

I have a 32 gig iPhone 4 with all my music/podcasts on it. I got a 32gig iPad as well because I knew I'd put some music, videos and apps on it. I have a lot of apps, and on the iPad they can be quite large. Much larger than the iPhone versions. So do keep that in mind.

Plus there's resale value. If all ur music fits into ur iPhone, and u dont plan to put any music or videos on the iPad, then 16gig would be plenty

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

One other thing, and it's not necessarily a huge "other thing" for most people. One of my favorite apps is Theodore Gray's "The Elements," the interactive version of his coffee table book. It's 1.7GB. Arguments about whether he could have crafted a more efficient app aside, it's an example of what the iPad excels at*, presenting creative interactive content. Maybe this is an extreme example or maybe it's an indicator of things to come, but throw on a few of these (or several of the half-gig games that are out now) and your storage space will shrink pretty quickly.

*And this is where we make the distinction about the iPad just being a large iPod Touch, this app would never make sense on a small display.

12. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

All excellent points ! And some I had not thought of, both in the 16 and 32 camps.

13. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I went through the exact same thought process that you did, and I went with 16GB myself. That was 4 months ago. Today I'm frustrated that I didn't get 32GB or even possibly 64GB.

I have realized that this device is on me all the time. Some of the apps are HUGE files and start to take up room more quickly than I thought. I decided that I did want to have some music on it. It's much better for picture viewing, so I wanted my entire picture library on it. Then I got into putting tv shows and movies on it. Once I got addicted to being able to watch tv/movies in bed with earbuds while my wife was asleep, I found myself having to constantly manage what was on the device.

Now I'm always deleting apps I don't use all the time, and altering what music is on it, and having to sync/unsync tv shows and movies. And I just keep thinking to myself "jeez, this would have been a lot less headache for an extra $100 or $200". The next iPad I get will be 64GB because I'm not dealing with this again :)

Once you start using the device to more of it's fullest potential, you're going to run into problems with storage. If you're only going to surf the web and use a couple apps, I'll cut you a deal on a 16GB lol.

14. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Just out of interest, what types of apps are you using that are that large? That might help put this all in perspective.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

Seems like you answered your own question. Tablet storage space is all up to the individual needs. In your case, if you don't plan on playing many ipad games (some of which are close to 1GB in size), and have your music on your iphone, than by all means get the 16GB iPad and save yourself the $100.

That's how you justify your 16GB iPad.

I keep zero music on my ipad 64GB but have used over 30GB of storage space because I put a lot of games on there. Please I carry a lot of pics that I transfer from my Canon DSLR via the camera kit.

16. stomer macrumors 6502a

This is how I made up my mind over 16GB v 32GB.

Imagine yourself in 6 months time you've picked the 16GB, your iPad is full. Ask yourself if you'd be prepared to pay $100 to upgrade to the 32GB, or would you be happy enough to make do.

When I ask myself that question, then the choice becomes clear.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's a shame no iOS devices come with microSD or SD slots. Of course that's how Apple makes record profits. A spare $100 or $200 from those worrying about not having enough memory. One of the big reasons I prefer most of my android tablets over my iPad 2. Never thought twice about getting the 32gb version over the 16gb version as with a microSD or SD card I never bump into "Out of memory" problems.

18. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

If a person has to go online to solicit advice of which device to buy, it would seem likely that the person does not need it or cannot afford it.

19. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Agreed. I wouldn't be hemming and hawing here w/ a Xoom. Of course, I'd have a mountain of other things to hem and haw about ... but that's neither here nor there.

----------

Or perhaps said person just considers his/her dollars wisely?

I'm the type of guy who pays off my credit card EVERY month. EVERY year. I don't spend what I don't have, and I only spend for what I'm going to use. It has served me well for many many years.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

I totally disagree. Asking owners of an iPad about an iPad in order to make an informed purchase has no connection to financial means, unless the person is obscenely rich, and they would actually be wasting money by spending time thinking about a purchase (the old calculation that said "Bill Gates is so rich that it would actually cost him money to bend down and pick up a 5 dollar bill if he came across one on the street" comes to mind).

Anyhow, the OP has an iPhone. They are obviously not poor. As for needing it, maybe not, but I didn't need it until I had it. One of the problems the OP faces is that he hasn't used it yet, so he won't know what he wants to do with it, and so he cannot calculate how much memory he needs. I bought it as an e-reader. Now it has turned into an everything device for me.

The best thing the OP can do is ask advice of owners. Good on you OP!

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It really boils down to your specific needs and wants and what compromises you're willing to make. Being a long time tech geek I always follow the "you can never have too much storage" mantra and went with the 64GB. If storage was easily expandable I would have looked at it in a different light. Not sure if this is relevant to you or not but there's my 2 cents.

Sadly, I doubt it. Most forum users seem to be too tunnel visioned to even conceive of the possibility that the next person might have entirely different needs/wants/budget/etc. Obviously what's good for one person is a perfect fit for everyone else in this world (despite clear evidence to the contrary).

Ignorance or having difficulty in making assessments like this is entirely different from financial situation or need.

22. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Not sure why your post was thumbed down, so I thumbed it back up for you :D

If you really don't store much of anything on it locally, then yeah, go with the 16, BUT realize the 16 only has about 14GB of storage space. I've got like 7+GB of programs, which is actually 9+ after I download stuff to them (I've got some digital magazines that are pretty huge, etc.).

Even leaving off ALL my music, I'm almost completely full just from my programs. I intend to buy a GPS program too, and they seem to be in the 1-2GB range. I have another GB of podcasts typically (although like you, normally I wouldn't need them on the iPad because I've got an iPod).

In my case, I'd theoretically LIKE to be able to convert a ton of shows from my Tivo to throw on here for a trip or something, but the 16GB one hardly leaves me with any space for that.

I think in retrospect I would have gone with the 32, though on the other hand the rumors of an iPad 3 lingering over me makes me feel like "Maybe I should just save money towards that"...or perhaps towards an iPad 4 which might have a quad resolution screen AND A15 quad CPU setup...

Another thing to consider-the cellular models include GPS hardware which can be used even if you never sign up for cell service...the wifi ones don't, which may or may not be something you care about.

At least the RAM, CPUs, and GPUs are all identical on these! So if you don't need GPS and 14GB is enough for you, a $500 one will be every bit as good as the most expensive one :)

23. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    This recurring "go small (memory) and use iCloud" argument so often seems to ignore the toll to connect with that iCloud. Too often, iCloud is rolled out as "just $25/yr" when in fact, every single bit streamed from it is going to have a cost tied to it unless you limit your access to free wifi. If you do that, then you don't have ready access to stream whatever you need at any given time from the iCloud.

So unless a person doesn't care about AT&T & Verizon tolls, it's hard for me to understand the philosophy of little-to-no local storage and streaming everything from iCloud. I personally believe lots of local storage makes much more sense except for those that don't care about the data tollmaster's fees. For example, in this case, I certainly would not be pitting the OPs question against just $25/yr. Instead, I would- and did- encourage him to go 32GB since he's already so close to the 16GB on his current iDevice.

As some have posted, even iPod apps can be big. If an app is around a GB and the AT&T toll at $25 is capped at 2GB, downloading that app just 2 times in a month will burn up the entire $25 allowance. One movie download can be 2GB too. Etc. I can't see how the general answer to all such stuff can be "just get iCloud" or "just stream everything from iCloud" when you have the likes of AT&T or Verizon charging heavy tolls for the flows between users and this cloud.

24. urbanj macrumors regular

I have a 16gb iphone 4 but the 32gb ipad 2. The iphone is my portable device so i have my music on it some useful utility apps and some other stuff. I leave the rest open for the times i need/want to take a bunch of pics or video or add more music.

since getting the ipad i use it to put all the games i had for the iphone but didn't sync as well as ipad specific games and productivity apps. I've only used 5 gb on my ipad but I have not one song on it. I know in the future i'll accumulate more apps that will only grow in app size. Also if I go away I know I can load it up with a bunch of shows and movies and not have to worry.

25. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Maybe I should've added I also have a VZW 4G MiFi into the equation ... As it is off a gov't plan, I also have unlimited data on it.

However, it would seem 32 is the 'safe' bet whereas a 16 would 'probably' do what I need it to. At least right now.