Help me justify between 1st gen iPad and 2nd gen iPad please..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 4zuresky, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 4zuresky macrumors member

So a friend of mine is actually selling his 1st generation 16gb wifi iPad to me for 250. The thing is.. its cheap and all but, should I even get the 1st gen iPad or should I go for the 2nd gen for 210 MORE dollars? The newer generation is a big upgrade from the 1st. Thanks everyone!

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

I am sure people will jump in shortly with advice, but honestly, how can any of it be relevant to your situation if you don't tell us how you intend to use it?

For example, in my case I bought the iPad 1 about 6 months ago because I intended to use it as an ereader. It performed fabulously, and I was quite pleased with it. So, if you are like that, then go for it.

However, I recently sold it and upgraded to the iPad 2. I have ended up using it for just about everything (reading, writing, presenting, etc.) and I need all of the speed I can get. The iPad 1 was fine, but I was able to sell the iPad 1 for a good price, and this is an investment in my career, so I figured why not?

What's your story?

3. 4zuresky thread starter macrumors member

Oh! I totally forgot to mention what I intended to use it for. Thank you for reminding me :) I intended to use it for iBooks, web surfing, movies, and moderate gaming apps such as fruit ninja, line birds, and bejeweled. I would use it for powerpoint if I ever get the chance to link up the iPad to a projector or however the chain goes :rolleyes:

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

The iPad 1 seems like it would be more than sufficient for your needs, but I don't play games, so I can't be sure about that. This is a friend, right? You could just borrow it for a day and see what you think.

If you are asking whether the iPad is "obsolete" or something like that, I don't think it is for general use. More hardcore users and people living on the bleeding edge might need the newest thing, but it sounds like you probably don't.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You need to try them out.

Buy an iPad 2 and try it out for a week. Return it and then try your friend's for a week.

6. imotionb18 macrumors member

I'm not sure what you situation is, but if you can afford it go for the ipad 2. I got one for my birthday and I love it.

7. EvenStranger macrumors member

My 2¢... Get the 1st gen, use it for a month or two, and if it meets your needs, great. If it doesn't, you should have no trouble getting most, if not all, of your investment back. If you buy new, it's like the "new car tax" - you're going to take a larger hit unloading it if you decide you want something else or it doesn't meet your needs. The new ones are going to be there... and if you want to upgrade, you can.

8. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

I would go for the cheaper alternative..
    There isn't really that much difference...

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

This is a good point. I recently sold my iPad1 for nearly what I originally paid for it. Of course, I also kept it in great condition (like new with no scratches or blemishes). As long as the price you are paying for the iPad is commensurate with its condition (look around on ebay or Amazon for ones in similar condition) then you can be confident in being able to sell it later for a good price.

10. DaLurker macrumors 6502

You need to consider if speed is important to you. If you don't mind waiting for your web pages to load then the iPad 1 will be sufficient. However if you're a speed junkie and can't wait, then definitely go for the iPad 2.

I bought an iPad 1 when it first came out, and sold it about 5 months later because it wasn't fast enough. I ended up going back to my Macbook Air because the iPad was too slow.

I was going to wait until the iPad 3 for the Retina display, but recently having used my brother's iPad 2 I found it so fast I would use it more than my Macbook Air so I purchased an iPad 2.

In short, get an iPad if you're okay with the speed, otherwise get an iPad 2.

11. 4zuresky thread starter macrumors member

Great point guys! I'll try it out the 1st gen for a few days and see if I like it and I guess I can "buy" the 2nd gen and see which one I would like more :) You guys are the best :p

12. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Cheap? for a 1 and a half year old 16g ipad? I'd hardly call it a bargain.
    Is it in perfect condition? Personally if it's a buddy, then they really shouldn't be charging you 250 bucks. I could understand if it included a case and a screen skin and 32 gig, but I don't think it's worth it.

I would go for a 2nd hand ipad2 and pay a bit more.

13. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If you're thinking of getting an iPad now, you might as well get the latest one.

15. Vanessa17 macrumors member

I just read 2 interesting articles on this subject -

Five Reasons Not to Buy an iPad 2...

The iPad is as good a media player as the iPad 2
    The iPad 2 doesn't increase the resolution or improve the brightness or colors of its display over the first iPad, so as a plain movie viewer, there's no compelling reason to replace your iPad. There are no movies you can watch or songs you can listen to on the iPad 2 that you can't on the original iPad.

The iPad is as good an ebook reader as the iPad 2
    Once again, same screen, same ebook reader. The iPad 2 isn't going to display newspapers, magazines, and books any better than the original iPad. At best, the iPad 2 will load large documents like PDFs faster than the iPad, but that's it. Not a good justification to toss out your tablet and spend $500 on a new one.

The iPad can access the same online content as the iPad 2
    Again, just like playing local media files and loading ebooks, the iPad 2's additional power won't make online content any smoother or prettier. The iPad can already load Hulu Plus. It can already load Netflix. It can already load the Adult Swim mobile app. What more could you want?

The iPad can output video to an HDTV just like an iPad 2.
    Apple announced the Digital AV Adapter alongside the iPad 2, and showed off its video-mirroring feature as a strong benefit of the new tablet. Unfortunately, video mirroring only works with the iPad 2, but the adapter itself works just fine with the old iPad. You can still use your original iPad as an HDTV-slinging movie player, albeit at 720p compared to the iPad 2's 1080p maximum output resolution. (Update: The Digital AV Adapter only works with the first iPad at up to 720p, while the iPad 2 can output at 1080p through the adapter and supports video mirroring. You can still send video to your HDTV through your original iPad, but it will be slightly lower resolution. Whether that's a deal-breaker is up to you.)

You'll still be able to use GarageBand on the iPad
    Next to iMovie, GarageBand is the biggest new app Apple announced alongside the iPad 2. However, it will run on the original iPad. Yes, the iPad 2's faster, but you won't need that power to cut some fresh tracks in the iOS version of GarageBand.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381380,00.asp?obref=obinsite#fbid=AcdGR51sGn0

And the opposing view - 5 Reasons To Buy iPad2

Not one, but two, cameras:

A complaint levied by many when the first iPad came out was the lack of a camera. For those looking to engage in video conferencing or who desire to capture pictures and video when using a tablet the iPad was unable to aid users. Apple’s announcement of iPad 2 brought two cameras to the iPad, making video conferencing, FaceTime calls, picture and video capturing a reality.

Speed:

The original iPad was fast, but it’s speed seems snail-like compared to iPad 2. With the A5 chip, iPad makes watching video, playing games, and accomplishing any task lightning quick. Don’t believe the hype? Head to an Apple Store or ask a friend who has iPad 2 to let you take it for a spin and discover the speed you’re missing if you don’t have iPad 2.

Weight Loss:

The original iPad was thin and light. iPad 2 makes the first iPad seem like a hulking, bloated, beast. The “heaviest” iPad 2, the WiFi+3G model weighs 1.34 lbs. (607g) and is .34 in. (8.8 mm) thick. iPad 2 represents a 33% decrease in size over its predecessor, which weighed 1.6 lbs. (730g) and was .5 in. (13 mm) thick. The size difference is noticeable when held in one’s hands. iPad 2 simply feels smaller and is more conducive to holding for long periods of time.

Smart Covers:

If size, or lack of it, matters to you, Smart Covers go hand in hand with iPad 2‘s smaller size. iPad 2 with a Smart Cover doesn’t add bulk to its thin, light design. Moreover, lifting the Smart Cover wakes your iPad instantly and closing it puts your iPad to sleep. The Smart Cover may be the most tremendous addition to the iPad announced by Apple on March 2.

65,000 apps:

There’s not much to say here. Android’s Honeycomb tablet OS has less than 20 apps designed for it. Owners of iPad 2 have access to 65,000.

http://www.theipadfan.com/5-reasons-buy-ipad-2/

I have an iPad2 and love it to bits. Alternatively buy your friend's iPad and then buy iPad 3 :D

16. roberthodgson macrumors regular

The IPad 2 is lighter and slimmer then the IPad 1 but $250 For a IPad 1 with no warranty is now a bit much since you can order a referb 16gb with 3G from apple for 399.99 with a full year warranty

If you decide to save money and get a IPad 1 go with the referb from Apple it's the better deal and when you travel having the 3G option is priceless.

Ie: if you stay at Disneys hotels they charge 10.00 per day for Internet access or the Vegas Hotels charge 15.00 where for $25.00 you get 2gig of data from Att&t and is good for 30 Days and can be canceled and activated when needed

We own both IPad 1 and 2 and both have the 3G plus wifi I will never buy a Wifi only version

17. RayK macrumors 6502

I love the cameras for skype and the speediness of the iPad 2. sounds like either will work for you, but I'd say to do what others say and try them both. The 2 does feel a good bit faster.

18. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

No question that having independent access to the internet is a valuable feature. However, there are options other than built-in 3G access on the iPad.

For example, I use a mobile hotspot from Verizon that gives me 4G/LTE access for my iPad, smartphone, and laptop simultaneously. I pay $50 per month (on a two year contract rather than the month-to-month iPad contract) for five gigabytes per month. If one travels frequently enough to need cell carrier internet access at least once a month, it's arguably a better deal than $30 per month for 2 gigs of 3G only access for a single device.

Alternatively, those with smartphones that support tethering, the wifi only iPad can be tethered to the phone (avoiding a separate data plan) to share the data provided for the phone. This is typically a $20 per month charge (if done legally) or free (if one is willing to violate the TOS with one's carrier.)

For those who only occasionally (i.e. less than once a month) find themselves without wifi access to the internet, the iPad 3G plan is arguably a better choice (though one does pay an additional $130 for that feature on a new device).

And if GPS functionality on the iPad is important to you (whether you use the 3G connectivity, or not) the $130 may be worth it. (Though independent GPS hardware is available for the iPad for about $100.)

19. rwwest7 macrumors regular

The iPad 2 is sooooooo much lighter than the iPad. I can't stress that enough. If you think you will be laying on your back and holding this thing up ( like at night in bed ) then you must get the 2. I had a 1 for about a year and just upgraded to a 2 and the difference is enormous to me at least. The screen on the 2 also seems to be softer, like a different material. And the camera is a huge add on.

Too sum up my advice, these are the deal breakers:
    Weight, much much much litter
    Screen seems softer, easier on the fingertip
    Camera!!

Oh, and the 3G I think it a must. Even if you don't think you'll use it right away just get it. You may severely regret not getting it later. You don't have to activate it until you need/want it. So say you're on vacation and there's just no wifi at your hotel or whatever, just hop on your iPad and enable your account..boom...instant internet access. And then just cancel later that month.

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have both my original and a new iPad2. I see no reason to buy a 2 if one can get a good price on the original. I like the originals display better since it doesnt have light leakage. I've had my iPad 2 replaced three times. Each time the genius has agreed the leakage is excessive and gave me a new one.

The current one is only slightly improved so I'm going to live with it till iPad 3.

Take that for what it's worth and remember what I've learned over time, newer is not always better. It's why I never sell my old one until I have the new one and I'm satisfied. In this case iPads are so popular in my family we can use the extra one.

21. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Since you're buying from a friend, I go with the iPad 1. Nothing wrong with it for what you're doing. I'd feel less comfortable saying the same if you were getting the used iPad 1 from eBay or Craigslist.

Have fun!

22. rwwest7 macrumors regular

As far as tethering, you're likely going to pay more to add it to your current cell phone plan than if you just get an iPad with 3g. Plus tethering I don't think you can turn on and cancel whenever you want.

23. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tbh i prefer the origonal iPad over the new one. I prefer the weight and sturdyness. Also the backlooks better imo. Allthough there is no camera, no facetime, or photobooth. But i have a touch with those and a macbook air.