Help me pick my first Apple iMac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bentvalve, May 30, 2009.

1. bentvalve macrumors newbie

Hello, this is my first post. I have never owned or even used an Apple computer before but a friend of mine has been bugging me to try one
    so I am going to go ahead and get one, if I don't like it I will sell it.

I think an iMac would be about right for me but I need help.

Which of these 2 is the better one? ..........
    1. previous generation.... 24" , 2.8ghz core 2 duo.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB325LL/A?mco=Mjk1NDIxOQ
    2. or the current low end 24" model that is $1499.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MjI4NDY4

My local Apple dealer wrote me up a quote on the
    1. Previous generation iMac , 24" , 2.8ghz core 2 duo. $1249
    (they have 30 of them so I am gonna guess that the profit on
    them is probably better.
    2. (2) 2gb 800mhz ddr2 so dimms $100

So the previous generation with 4gb of memory for $1349.

Please give me your thoughts , which one is the better computer and why?
    I want this to be a good experience.
    thanks

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I would pic the older one because it had dedicated graphics which are much better than what the newer model has. Also someone correct me if im wrong but the Newer low end model has the same graphics as the macbook so my pick would be the older one.

and you will save 150 which is good if your not sure if you want to keep the machine

But keep it or we are going to have a problem! jkjk

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Correct, the 20'' and the base 24'' both have nVidia 9400Ms.

OP: Don't get the RAM upgrade from Apple or the dealer. You can do it your self in less than 5 minutes. Here are some instructions.

4. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

I would go for the 2.66 because of the larger HD. In the end, that will probably make your computer last longer for you than a nicer graphics card.

5. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I planned on installing it myself, the $100 is just for the 4gb of memory. Is $100 too much for 4gb ?

I hope I like it if I do buy one. Ive been a Window's PC user since the mid
    90s, ive always built my own computers and ive never had a problem with one. If the Apple breaks in under 2.5-3 years I won't buy another one.
    The dealer tried to tack on Applecare to the quote but I won't do it. If it breaks then I am out some money and I'll just go back to my Windows PCs.
    Heck, the one I am on now has been running perfectly since 1/07 and it will probably run a few more years.

6. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest I do not save alot of stuff, ive got a 250gb HD in my current PC and there is over 200gb of free space on it still.

I

7. cube macrumors G5

You could also buy a Mac mini ($599) + 23"/24" monitor ($200-$300) + adapter ($29) + Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave ($60).

8. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Buy the older one as it is. The processors are the same.

The only difference is in the RAM- DDR2 v DDR3.

The 3 RAM is quicker but you have no dedicated graphics card.

Just my 2c.

9. 2bearnest macrumors newbie

Same Situation

How important is a dedicated graphics card? I am on the fence between the 2.66 and the 2.93. I mean they are both 256MB....If I get the 2.66 do I have the option of installing a dedicated card later?

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The dedicated card is an improvement, and no you can't replace the card later.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9400M is intergraded crap. If you want to do any gaming or get advantage of Snow Leopard's OpenCL.

The question is now, do you need better GPU for gaming and that kinda stuff? There's no major (.3GHz) difference in CPUs so it's all about GPU. I would go for GT120 model because it's more future proving and it's only $300

12. 2bearnest macrumors newbie

Worth it?

Thanks. I play some of the newer games and do some video editing. Just trying to see if it is worth the $300 PRICE tag.

13. icafelawrence macrumors newbie

Actually, I would agree with the dealer. GET the applecare. It's only $169 for an iMac, and in addition to increasing the warranty to three years, it also gives you unlimited calls to Apple Support (which is really pretty good tech support). Those calls are not limited to troubleshooting a problem. You can call them and ask questions about ANYTHING on your mac. As a switcher, you will probably make good use of that. I don't necessarily think anything will break on your computer, Apple has a really good track record, but even if .3% of computers they make have some kind of problem...
    if Apple makes 10,000 computers a month (I don't know, is that a reasonable estimate?), that's 300 computers a month that will have a problem. Applecare is worth it!

Yes. I'm pretty sure (but please verify first) that this is the ram you need if you go with the previous gen iMac:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=39D3BF46A5CA7304

14. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am on my new iMac now. It was $1349 +tx with 4gb of memory , yes that is the correct memory, (Apple iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (24-inch - 800MHz) , oh well I am not worried about it, I think I got a good deal.
    In fact the guy told me his boss wanted to know why he quoted me such a low price. After all the same iMac at Apple.com is $1399 with stock 2gb of ram.

I am gonna use this iMac for a month or so and if I want to convert I will get Apple Care before the warranty runs out.

So far I like it, but I this internet browser is going to take some getting use to. I already miss IE. Say, I got a quick question , is there a 'find' type thing like in IE ? Control/F started it in IE.

thanks

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Yup. That "Find" is Command+F. Command is the key with the :apple: on it.

16. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

try command+f (⌘+F)

edit: got beat to it! wish I could delete posts.

17. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Do any of the new keyboards have the :apple: on the command key?

18. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, my keyboard's command does not have an apple on it.

Where could I find some more folks who switched from Windows to Apple? Id love reading how it went for some others.

Its going ok for me, but I cannot lie, I already miss Windows and IE. I am gonna force myself to like this guy. $1500 could have bought me 10 Windows PCs , if not more lol!!

Im having fun, this thin keyboard is gonna take some getting used to. Man this screen is big, 24" from about 1.5' . I was on a 17" LCD.

Gee, I remember my first computer had a 15" CRT . I hope I don't go blind!! :D

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...$$ and the size were the reason I went with a prev gen 20" iMac as my first apple a month ago... at $976 NIB on close out from the base PX I used the $$ saved for 4GB RAM upgrade, VMFusion, Applecare and an OEM copy of winXP...

The desktop had a 17" Sharp LCD so the 20" iMac is plenty of screen:cool:

20. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I guess not. My white keyboard does though.

21. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I got another question. How can I open up another window in Safari. Also say I have a website up and want to keep that page up and open up a link without closing that page? On my Windows machine I often times would have 4-5 website pages open at the same time.

Where should I ask questions like this in the forum? I am sure I will come up with many more as time goes on.

thanks

22. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

Man this screen is big, I turned the brightness all the way down and that helped. I may need to get a wider desk so I can sit back a little more from the screen. And this keyboard is sooooo tiny, its gonna take some getting used to. On my big windows keyboard I could type a solid 45-50 words a minute. I am far from doing that on this little guy.

23. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

File -> New Window or Command+N, though I prefer tabs, so everything stays in one window. The combo for a new tab is Command+T.

For opening things in a new window or tab, right-click it and then click on either open in new tab, or open in new window.

And here's a handy tip: If the key combo from Windows was Control+<character> it is most likely Command+<character> in OS X.

If you want to ask more questions after this thread is done, go to the Mac OS X forum. It is located here. Or for hardware questions, go here. Both of these can be accessed from the main forum page, which is forums.macrumors.com

24. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I just got off the phone with Apple and they were very helpful, I may as well just call Apple since I have this available for 90 days.

Here it is........:D

[​IMG]

25. bentvalve thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW if anyone is curious, those speaker are Audioengine A2s. Check out this glowing review from Stereophile. Any audiophile knows that glowing reviews from Stereophile are not given out very often.

$199 shipped too!

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/