help me please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by I3eXa, Nov 10, 2007.

1. I3eXa macrumors 6502

Ok, i have searched here, the net, and even apple.com and I can't find out what interface my macbook 13inch hard drive is!!!! I just wanna upgrade the hard drive but don't know whether to buy an sata3, serial ata7, etc, etc.......please give me a hand. Also, what is the best way to install onto the new hard drive once I get it? Is there some copy software or should I start from scratch??
    Thanks
    Cody

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Standard 2.5" SATA, 9.5mm drive (1.5Gbps)

I believe there are instructions for replacing the drive in an Apple DIY manual. There is a "tray" accessible when the battery is removed.

btw: Check out MacTracker for details on all things Apple. They keep it very up to date.

To make a clone, you'll need a case for one of the two drives (usually put the new drive in the case while cloning, then swap them). Get a case that can be powered off a single USB or Firewire (such as OWC On-The-Go cases.

Reliable cloning:

Your current drive is the source. The new drive in the external case is the target drive.

Boot off your OS install/restore disk and run Disk Utility.

Partition the new drive with GUID partition map, 1 partition, Macintosh Extended (journaled) (HFS+)

Perform a Restore, with the source as your internal boot volume and Target as the new drive. Check "erase destination" - this will enable block copying.

Double-check the proper source and target drives. Then hit "Restore" and double-check again. It's a BIG problem if this is done incorrectly. You can erase your internal drive if you are restoring to it, instead of from.

When complete, I like to make sure Ownership Enabled is Yes (status on the new drive in Disk Utility. Your source drive should already be set that way.

If you need to change the setting, go to the Finder and Get Info on the drive. I needs to have "Ignore Permissions" unchecked . Honestly don't know for sure it this matters anymore, as the permissions should come over during a block copy, but I was burned by it a couple times in the past until I had the Ignore = OFF (which will show up in Disk Utility as Owners Enabled Yes.

When done, you should be able to restart and hold down the OPT key and see both drives show up as startup volumes. Then, select the new one, to test it's ability to boot. It should boot up fine.

Once you're satisfied with the new cloned install, it's time to swap the drives. When you're done, put your old drive in the external case. Now you have a backup of your original, in case there is a problem. It will be bootable too.

4. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

By the way, 3gb/s SATA notebook drives will work fine. But, much like in the G5 towers, they will only operate at 1.5gb/s.

6. I3eXa thread starter macrumors 6502