Help me to fix the oxidized PMG5 case

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by honam1021, Jun 30, 2013.

1. honam1021 macrumors regular

Now I got my G5 working, now I am trying to improve the cosmetic condition of my G5, the case is severely oxidized as you can see in the pic below.
    [​IMG]
    Wiping the case with soapy water does help, but the oxidation layer is still very noticeable.

There are acids that can remove oxides effectively, but it'd corrode the anodized layer of the enclosure. Are there any other methods that I can try?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I'm afraid that only way to fix it is to re-anodize whole casing.
    But it won't be cost-effective. Maybe consider buying dead G5 - any model except Late 2005 - just for case and other parts (air deflector, fans etc). Or place machine under desk and don't look at it too often ;)

3. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

It would take a lot of it, but why not use clear nail polish after getting rid of the corrosion. That's the Heloise hint when it comes to plated jewelry.

4. Member2010 macrumors regular

magic eraser

Simple green, a toothbrush, and Mr. Clean Magic eraser can do wonders in some situations - not sure if they'd do the trick here, but it might be worth a shot.
    [​IMG]

::

5. archtopshop macrumors regular

6. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Wickes it.

7. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This is the best idea offered up yet.
    Go to an Auto accessory store and check out the car touch up paints in spray cans, you'll find an exact color match, and working with these spray cans is dead simple.

9. honam1021 thread starter macrumors regular

Will vinegar work?I heard that it's good at removing rust from iron, but I'm not sure about aluminum

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The problem is that the anodized finish is ruined. Even if you get all the corrosion off it, it won't look like it used to. The only solution to make it look exactly like it did before is to re-anodize it, a process that will cost you much more than the computer is worth.

If you really want to make it look nice, you'll need to paint it, which would involve painting the entire case. Or, like 666sheep suggested, find a dead one and transfer the guts.

11. California macrumors 68040

California

Isn't the case a "heat sink" and wouldn't painting it destroy the heat sink functionality?

12. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I don't think the case acts as a heatsink.

13. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It's still used to dissipate heat to a certain degree, which I would've thought would then lead to the paint bubbling & cracking over time?

14. California macrumors 68040

California

I thought the whole purpose of Apple playing around with metals in their computers was because aluminum alloy is a great heat sink. The unibody is a heatsink.

Anyway, you probably can still find good cases around. But it looks like what is scratched is the removable plate == easy to find a new one.

BTW, the PMG5 case is not meant to be bent in any way, especially on the legs. I once had a quad with a bent leg and it rocked when in use. Had to get a new case from Apple.

15. honam1021 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not the removable side of the case in the picture

At least my case is still useable, a ebay seller managed to break the rear leg of the case:http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Parts-A...9420945?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item5af2bb5911

16. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

My guess is that someone dumped it and another fished it out on the trashyard.

Doing that "on purpose" would require quite a lot force.

18. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I thought the process of anodising the aluminium to make it stronger and dull was a lot like deliberate oxidising.

I would have assumed that anodised aluminium would have a nice stable atomic structure almost as good as inert gases, but this mustn't be true if this has indeed "oxidised".

19. Member2010 macrumors regular

damage

That's impressive. One of the units I bought had the top front handle bent down a little bit, and after trying to bend it back by hand (without success obviously), I cannot figure out how anyone could've managed to do that.

::

20. honam1021 thread starter macrumors regular

21. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Actually, if you look at his other items, it looks like he's selling liquidation items from Best Buy. If that's the case, someone probably traded in this computer after throwing it down a flight of steps lol. They usually include old computers like this in their pallets to jack up the MSRP of the lot.

22. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I don't care about guts TBH. It's example how re-anodizing can be done.

Anyway, look for donor, maybe on your local CL.

23. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

This is child abuse! :eek:

24. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

What exactly?