Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManInLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Bought the phone 2 days ago from ATT for the upgrade price of $200, and dropped it last night, breaking the screen. The phone works fine still just as it was before I broke the screen. I can feel the breaks when I run my finger over the screen, so it doesnt seem like it is anything underneath the screen.

What should I do? Seems like I have a few options:

- buy a new one

- repair it myself; found a bunch of video walk throughs on this and I am confident that I can do it, but I would still have to pay around $150 for the repair piece, I think

- go to ATT and Apple store and tell them I just bought it and see if they are feeling generous and want to give me a replacement

- sell it broken on ebay; seems like a lot of interest is out there in broken iphone 4s; but then I would have to buy a new one; would I be eligible for the upgrade price again?

third party insurance that covers accidental damage, and just get it replaced

I guess I'm just looking for advice and any information or experience with the above options. I would really like to not have to spend any money to get a new phone or replace the one I have.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
--
What should I do? Seems like I have a few options:

- buy a new one
If I'm not mistaken, Apple will replace the phone for $200 provided you hand over the broken one.

- repair it myself; found a bunch of video walk throughs on this and I am confident that I can do it, but I would still have to pay around $150 for the repair piece, I think
This is what I would do, it's your cheapest option.

- go to ATT and Apple store and tell them I just bought it and see if they are feeling generous and want to give me a replacement
Not going to happen.

- sell it broken on ebay; seems like a lot of interest is out there in broken iphone 4s; but then I would have to buy a new one; would I be eligible for the upgrade price again?
Nope you wouldn't be eligible for the upgrade price again. Sell the phone and Apple won't do the $200 replacement.

third party insurance that covers accidental damage, and just get it replaced
That might work but unless you already have insurance it's likely fraud.

I guess I'm just looking for advice and any information or experience with the above options. I would really like to not have to spend any money to get a new phone or replace the one I have.
You will spend money, likely lots of it, that's the reality of the situation.

Edit: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/exchange/ - Have a look at that for the exchange process, specifically #9 "My iPhone is not under warranty...", yes I know you bought it two days ago but you dropped it which isn't covered by warranty. So you'll be forking $199 for an out-of-warranty repair. I would just replace the part myself.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
just return it, i dont see why they woulnt give u a new one for free

if the 30 days have not passed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004

You really don't see why?

Say you are a business owner and I buy a laptop from your store. I proceed to go home and break the thing within 30 days. Are you going to buy me another laptop? - If that's what you would do, please please open a store. I'll buy all my electronics from you.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
For a $50 difference, it would be worth it to me for Apple to perform the repairs instead of doing it myself or hiring Joe Blow down the street to do it.

Peace of mind.

Yeah this is how I feel as well. It sucks that the screen is broken, but you have to suck it up at this point.

If you were to sell the iPhone 4 on eBay, you would no longer be able to get the "upgrade pricing" that allows the iPhone to be sold for $200-300. Sure you get some money back from eBay but you'd still be stuck with your AT&T contract and a new iPhone 4 would still cost too much.

I don't think buying a new one is an option for the same reasons.

Basically you get it replaced by Apple, you pay the $200 "Oops" tax, and you buy yourself a nice case for it and be more careful next time.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009

You are simply wrong, the return policy clearly states that you must return the product in perfect working condition. A broken screen does not qualify.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
But he brought it from AT&T.

Will AT&T give you a brand new one for $200 if you return the broken one within the first 30 days? Is this confirmed?

Both AT&T and Apple aren't likely to do it. Maybe it has happened before at an Apple store with some sympathetic Apple employee, but they really aren't supposed to do that.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Call your credit card company!

If you paid by credit card there is a good possibility they will cover the $199 replacement fee Apple will charge. They definitely will if it's an AMEX (been there, done that) and I'm pretty sure most Visa/Mastercard cards will as well.

diamondschwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Go to the apple store, be honest and courteous, I have been atthe genius bar and witnessed someone getting a smashed iPhone 4 replaced gratis because apple likes to keep up an amazing image when it comes to customer service. I would try that. If it doesn't work. Try once more at a different apple store and then weigh your options again if they still wont help. The 199 replacement is a good deal considering that phone is covered by apples warranty. If you fix it yourself you lose any coverage.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Best thing you can do is contact apple and get an out of warranty replacement for $200, you'll have to return the damaged device but you'll get a "new" one in return.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Best thing you can do is contact apple and get an out of warranty replacement for $200, you'll have to return the damaged device but you'll get a "new" one in return.

Do you actually get a new one or do you get one of the ones that they have on hand for warranty repairs??

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For a $50 difference, it would be worth it to me for Apple to perform the repairs instead of doing it myself or hiring Joe Blow down the street to do it.

Peace of mind.

Agreed, if the price difference is that small definitely take it to Apple and pay to have it replaced.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Do you actually get a new one or do you get one of the ones that they have on hand for warranty repairs??

The iPhone is still new so I would say they will hand you a new one still if you get a replacement. They basically ship a certain amount of "replacement only" iPhone 4s to the store for this purpose. When the product is brand new, they have no choice but to send new units to use for replacements. As time goes on they will start to receive refurbished units instead of new ones, but refurb pretty much means the same thing as new when it comes to iPhones. They replace all the main components, the casing/buttons, the screen, the glass. They go through and test all the internal components to make sure they pass all their requirements. Then they ship it out as "refurbished." The product is pretty much identical to a new one.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
just return it

act like nothings wrong with it,maybe they wont notice

Um.. yeah they will definitely check it out before they give you a refund.

Then again, at the AT&T store maybe they are dumb enough to not do that.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
The iPhone is still new so I would say they will hand you a new one still if you get a replacement. They basically ship a certain amount of "replacement only" iPhone 4s to the store for this purpose. When the product is brand new, they have no choice but to send new units to use for replacements. As time goes on they will start to receive refurbished units instead of new ones, but refurb pretty much means the same thing as new when it comes to iPhones. They replace all the main components, the casing/buttons, the screen, the glass. They go through and test all the internal components to make sure they pass all their requirements. Then they ship it out as "refurbished." The product is pretty much identical to a new one.

Thanks, I was just curious. Ive dropped my iphone 4 before and luckily had no damage. Ive thought about going the otterbox route again but the finances just arent there at this point to be blowing money. To be perfectly honest with you in my experience Id rather have a refurb anyways. Ive had one brand new macbook and one refurb macbook and the refurb was immaculate! Never had a single issue with it, but the new one was a whole different story. Hopefully the iphone refurb process is just as good. Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to ramble for a minute!

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Che Castro said:

You really can not see why? Maybe it is because Apple nor AT&T were the ones who broke the phone in the first place, and aren't responceable for damage that is caused by the owner.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

ovrlrd said:
Che Castro said:
just return it

act like nothings wrong with it,maybe they wont notice

Um.. yeah they will definitely check it out before they give you a refund.

Then again, at the AT&T store maybe they are dumb enough to not do that.

WRONG! When it comes to returns/exchanges, there isn\'t much that is going to get by AT&T. The first thing they do is take the phone out of the box and inspect it for water or physical damage. If they find any, you will be SOL without insurance. ;)

MacManInLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Looks like these guys were wrong:
Not going to happen.
Yeah this is how I feel as well. It sucks that the screen is broken, but you have to suck it up at this point.
Both AT&T and Apple aren't likely to do it. Maybe it has happened before at an Apple store with some sympathetic Apple employee, but they really aren't supposed to do that.
You really can not see why? Maybe it is because Apple nor AT&T were the ones who broke the phone in the first place, and aren't responceable for damage that is caused by the owner.

You guys were right:
Apple will make it right for you. Go in to their store.
Go to the apple store, be honest and courteous, I have been atthe genius bar and witnessed someone getting a smashed iPhone 4 replaced gratis because apple likes to keep up an amazing image when it comes to customer service. I would try that. If it doesn't work. Try once more at a different apple store and then weigh your options again if they still wont help. The 199 replacement is a good deal considering that phone is covered by apples warranty. If you fix it yourself you lose any coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.