Help me with English:)!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Vladukrain, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Vladukrain macrumors newbie

Hi all applefuns my name is Vladyslav, I am 20.
    My country is Ukrain
    I am studying English in university but as for me it is not enough,becouse 1 week age I begin to read this forum, if somebody whant to take good friend from another country - please add me to friends at this forum, or write me at
    Opuhliyvladyslav@gmai.com or find me in Facebook or icq 372260408
    I know that is sites for acquaintance but I whant speaking whith apple fins much more then with anything else:)
    Thanks for Your attention!!!
    Vladyslav

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

3. Vladukrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I have read your message, thank

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

WELCOME! :D

I admire that you are learning English. It is a very difficult language because of all the rule exceptions. Stay with it. :D

I'm embarrassed that I, like most Americans, can only speak my native language. Your efforts make me feel like I should make the effort to learn at least one other of the world's languages.

You'll enjoy yourself on this forum. It's more than a little crazy - but fun!:)

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Well, I think English is one of these easier languages.

6. simsaladimbamba

Yep, especially compared to Slavic languages, which I had a hard time getting into (Russian and Czech), thus I am still only bilingual.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, I'll definitely take your word for it.. :)

I'm still working on English, and it's my native language. :eek:

(Notice I didn't say "my native tongue". I'm afraid iJohnHenry might be around, and I don't want to make it THAT easy for him! :p)

8. Vladukrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok

Thanks all for active and hot discussion me topic

9. simsaladimbamba

What helped me learning English better, was reading a lot of English books, to be sure the grammar and spelling is correct, as message boards and even news often contain a lot of spelling and grammatical errors. I also watched a lot of films in English and also some TV series. Maybe that is an option for you?

10. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

This. Harry Potter is always a great way to learn a new language. :cool:

11. simsaladimbamba

Oh yeah, HP is quite good, modern literature, it is like JKR uses words only once, especially the adjectives.

12. Vladukrain thread starter macrumors newbie

?

What is JKR?:confused:

13. simsaladimbamba

J.K. Rowling, the author of Harry Potter (HP).

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

OP makes a great point. I studied Spanish for three years in school, but I feel like I learned much more Spanish by simply getting out there with Spanish-speakers who didn't know very much English, and immersing myself in the language. You might find that you'll learn the language much easier if you're in a situation where you NEED to learn it to communicate.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This is VERY true. Grammar and spelling are a little rough around here. Particularly homonyms (e.g. to, too, two), and loose (not tight) and lose (to misplace and not able to find) are frequent errors here. (Forget punctuation - a lost art :rolleyes: ;) )

Reading English books is an excellent idea. Being the only person in the world not to have read Harry Potter, I cannot comment on that. But 20th and 21st century books would be good. Also, if you can obtain English language newspapers (e.g International Herald) that would be helpful. I would suggest avoiding the tabloids - they tend to be too colloquial and employ puns and double entendres you might find difficult at first.

Good luck...:D

16. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah, Czech is hard to learn... It's my native language. :)

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I suggest looking at http://www.busuu.com/.

When you write sentences it sends them to the native speakers to grade. A lot of times it'll send it to those who also speak your language so they can explain it to you in both languages.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When impressed say "awesome!" or if you want to be retro/valley, say "tubular!" ;)

For encouraging someone to participate in a group event, one of my favorite retro sayings is "Be there, or be square." "Square" is from the time when "square" ment uncool. "Cool" means desirable. "Uncool" is the opposite.

End of slang lesson for today. You may find many good resources at the Urban Dictionary. :D

19. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

English is a fantastic language , very easy to learn really, even the americans are able to learn it as you see here in the forum :D

I once was near Perfect in German , as German is my native language , born there , grew up there . I was even good in school at English , French and Latin i did alright in Spanish and Italien , i learned even Arabic .
    All was well i left School more then 20 years ago .
    I never had any problems with using the different languages speaking or writing ,until i was moving to England , then something strange happend , i started to think in English, even when i speak German i think in English now , quiet many people here in England (the natives) say i speak it better then some of their kids who just left university and should look for a job as Interpreter(notice not translator ).
    So all could be well until i start writing ,because i dont write like i speak or think ,as i for some strange reason i want to mix up completely German , English , Latin ,French,Spanish , Italian and Arabic grammar rules in my brain.
    Tt does by now not even matter which language i use to write, i cant decide any more where to set punctuation or use capitalizations where it would be appropriate in the language i am writing in . Sometimes i get it right by chance , but all to often not and that includes even my native language German by now .
    Its not the lack of knowledge of the different grammar rules , its the unability to apply them in the right language , because all languages build a sentence and use capitalizations differently .

So learning any language is far from easy if it goes beyond speaking

20. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Incorrect: X , Y. Correct: X, Y. :)

21. Vladukrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank,your ideas are very useful for me, yesterday I begun to read Harry Potter:)
    I am repeat, if somebody wants to study Rus, or even wants help me in learning English - please write me a letter to: opuhliyvladyslav@gmail.com
    I will answer to ALL!
    Vladyslav

22. Wreckie macrumors regular

That is so true. My native language is Estonian. I've been learning English for 7 or 8 years now. However, I consider online gaming as biggest improvement in English (for me), because it just needs understanding the words for moving on. Of course, school gives much, but best results are provided by demand.