Help me with my Macbook Pro purchase for College

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Outbreak, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Outbreak macrumors newbie

So, here goes. This is my first thread so if it's in the wrong place I apologize. So basically, starting august 25th i begin my 3rd semester at College. I'm typing this thread on my 5 year old desktop pc with 1 gig ram and a Pentium D Processor. As you can imagine, the pc is dying before my eyes. I cant stand using the terrible machine. I have a laptop, an Acer with 1 gig ram and a Intel Core Duo processor, and I tried using that at school last semester. Needless to say, that hunk of junk was never brought there again. I need something that will last me for the next 4-5 years (I'm not concerned with having the best processor for the future, just something that will be dependable.) I decided to go with mac, which I've heard is the best value for your money. I decided on the 13 inch base model. I do have the option of going as high as the base 15 inch but I don't feel that it offers more value for the amount I'm adding to my cost. The things I'll be doing with the laptop are first and foremost word processing and web browsing, then things like music, photo managment, some photoshop work, and downloading files. This is NOT processor intensive, and to pay and extra (400?) dollars for an i5 doesn't seem worth it to me. So my first question would be: Am i correct or SHOULD I go for the 15 inch or even the higher 13 inch? I like the 13 inch because it seems very portable making it easy for me to bring to school with my books. I know this post is incredibly long already, but I'll end off with the real dilemna I am in. I am looking to only get the macbook somewhere in the beginning/middle of September. Would this be a good time to get one? Also, the student discount that Apple offers, is that available year round, or does it end at a certain point (say september 1st for example?)

So, tl;dr
    1. Should I get a 13" or 15' based on what I'll be doing and taking portability into account.
    2. Is September a good time to purchase one
    3. Is the student discount available at any time or does it run out?

Thanks guys

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Pentium D?!?! OUCH

I'd say stick with the 13". for what you'll be doing bumping up to a 15" wouldn't make much financial sense for you. Sure the bigger screen, bump in speed would be nice but not a necessity for you. With the extra savings, you could get some software or whatever for your 13". I originally wanted the 13' for its portability but wound up with the full spec 15" instead. LOVE this machine so I'm kinda glad I didn't get the 13". But, for basic stuff that you'll be doing, the 13 should be more than adequate.

Oh and the student discount does end soon so I'd suggest you pick your MBP up soon. Can't remember when it ends but it's a seasonal promotion and won't last long.

3. Heat305 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was in the same boat as you as far as the 13 vs 15. Idecided on the 13 inch 2.66 model and I havent looked back. :D The 15 is really nice but the size was a deal breaker for me. I needed as much portability as i could get. The 13 should be more than enough for your needs.

As far as the college discount I have no Idea, I bought mine at a reseller so I wouldn't have to pay tax. Good Luck.;)

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You should buy before the end of the Back To School Promotion.

Right Now through the beginning of September, you can get
    $100 off a 13" MacBook Pro and $100-$150 off a 15" MacBook Pro
    a Free iPod touch 8GB
    and a Free Printer

The student discount is available year round, but the Free iPod is only until early September.

As far as 13" vs 15", it depends on if the screen size is large enough for what you will be doing. Will the 13" be large enough for you when writing 5-20 page papers?
    You have not said your major, but I know everyone has to write a lot of papers.

5. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be picking up a 23" screen to use here at home so i can get the extra real estate, forgot to mention that. Alright i feel comfortable getting the 13" now

DAMN! That's not good, I'll pass by and see if they can make an exception :p:cool:

thanks for the response h1r0ll3r

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The student discount is year round.

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Don't worry there is a student discount year round.

8. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, like i said in my above post, I forgot to mention I'll be purchasing a monitor to hook up to at home. So i'll get the 100$ off even if i go in a week late, Ill just miss out on a free ipod? I dont need a printer, and missing out on the ipod isnt a big deal, i was going to sell it for profit anyways, i was more concerned with the 100$ discount

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Is it? Or is the "Buy a MBP, get a free iPod" thing seasonal? Maybe I'm getting the two confused.

10. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a LOT for the response kny3twalker.

11. d4nn0 macrumors member

d4nn0

Speaking from experience, I started with a 12" PowerBook way back when I started uni. I liked the smaller size, I found it was much more practical for bringing to lectures than my friend's 15". I only switched to a 15" a few years ago when I started to do more coding + web development and didn't bring my laptop to class as much.

Use the money you save to buy a bigger LCD for your desk at home/dorm, like a 22". Dual screens are wicked, you can use it to watch movies, and I've heard that you can actually quantifiably improve your productivity.

I'd agree with the other posters, go with 13". And get the free iPod!! :cool:

-Danno

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

An iPod Touch is worth $200. That's twice as much as the student discount. And you get both.
    It's just that $300 > $100, much greater.

13. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

yep exactly what i was gonna do. I can get a nice 23" monitor for 200-250 :cool: thanks for the reply?

14. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Completely understand, and I agree, i would much rather get the ipod+ discount rather than just the discount, but the dilemma is i wont have the money on me to buy until i get it, and that can be any time in september. LOL. so I'm gonna pass by the apple store, see what i can do to coax them into letting me get the ipod too and if i cant do anything i wont be too upset, i'll still get the hundred off. thanks again kny

15. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Check out the Dell UltraSharp U2311. Its priced somewhere between $250-$300 and is an exceptional monitor. Color, Contrast, Viewing Angles, The Stand, and Connectivity will be so much better than your typical 23".

16. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do, thanks for the advice

17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Have you considered applying for apple's no interest financing?
    If you feel comfortable applying for credit, this should give you time to sort out the money by the time the first bill arrives.

18. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure, i'll think about it next time i head to the apple store

19. SPX macrumors member

The student discount is available everyday.
    "Buy a MBP, get a free iPod" is a separate promotion, and it ends in September.

20. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I didn't know you also got a free printer with the ipod touch when you buy a 15'' MBP ??? I havent gone as far as checking out yet- but I have built my MBP on apple to see the price, and I always seclect buying the cheapest printer. When I click checkout it mentions the free iPod touch offer, but never brings up the free printer. Are you sure about the free printer ? Also, if that is the case, will that offer last until Sept 7, like the ipod ? or longer ?

21. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey for photos management and importing as you mentions, i am recommending the base model mac book rpo the sd card slot!!! spectacular for importing all digital video/stills and it comes already with the 4gb of ddr3 ram which is TONS for atleast the next 3-4 years and upgradable at any time, ummm for phots though i have over 50 gb worht and can shoot another 4 gb on any given afternoon >_< hehe love my dslr so i would take note as to which hard drive you pick i am recommending you get the 500 gb hdd, it will last you for years!!

lmk if you have any questions

and the macbook with 4 gb of ram and a 500 gb hard drive is like $20 less then the macbook pro without the aluminum case and the sd card slot so i would definitely spend the extra =D

22. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

That post was incredibly unhelpful to answering my question...lol

23. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

Yeah, you get a $99 dollar rebate for a printer

24. Outbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i think you've answered all the questions ive had for now.
    as i said, dont know WHEN it ends, but you do indeed get a free printer

25. npropes macrumors member

Just as a note for you, the "Free" iPod touch has to be purchased, and then you receive a rebate for it. So you will have to have the money to buy it at the time of purchase as well.