Help needed: MacBook or iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ManuelGnR, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

You've probably all heard this question a lot before, but, should I buy a MacBook or an iMac?

What I am going to do:
    - Dowload
    - Music, music music! =)
    - Movies
    - Maybe some 3D building creating stuff, I now use the free Google SketchUp program..
    - I would like to connect my electric guitar to it, and play on amps I can download or whatever, so plug the guitar in.
    - Some light stuff like MSN, poker, internet, text stuff (mostly for school) etc.

The iMac would be:
    20'', the cheapest model, with:
    2 or 4 GB
    wireless Mouse

The MacBook would be:
    The Cheapest Model, with:
    - Remote Control stuff, so I can control my music from anywhere in the room
    - Maybe after a while an extra lcd monitor and/or mouse/keyboard. Already got wireless (black) mouse and keyboard, not that great quality.

I would love an iMac because: The screen, cool for movies and cool because you have space. screens of internet and some kind of Word next to it.

I would love a MacBook because: The Portability ofcourse. Take it on the couch, take it downstairs, even better couch, take it to school, and I'd love to take it with me on vacation. As long as it don't get stolen. But I got to admit, I don't think I'd take it to school to often, and not very much on the couch either. But I would sometimes..

As you can hear, I don't really know what I want. Help needed.

I really appreciate any help and reactions!

P.S. I also have an CRT 17'' LG monitor. Could be connected to a MacBook I Think.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

MacBook can handle everything you listed here. Also it gains on the portability side. One note I see here is that you play the guitar. iMac will not be ideal if you play the guitar while you're moving and/or the guitar itself alot (you can pull the iMac to the floor).

As for the LCD you described, it will work if you buy the correct adapter from Apple.

3. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

I do have a 9 meter cable for my guitar however, so if I have a short cable-piece-thing to put between guitar-cable and iMac I can jump around my bedroom without moving the iMac.

Thanks for your help so far.

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

id either get an iMac or a Alu 2.0 MacBook but i think the Macbook will be better (but as its outside your budget id defo get the iMac :D)

5. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Btw, I would buy it a little cheaper, at the online edu store..

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'd get the MacBook for now and save up for an external monitor. They get cheaper everyday and you won't be stuck with replacing the entire computer when better display technology comes around.

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I second this. Get the MacBook and buy an external monitor at a later stage.

8. tiartrop macrumors regular

I'd vote for iMac because it doesn't seem like you need the portability, for the same price you can get a better machine with a much bigger display.

If I don't have to move around between three cities and two countries every so often, I'd absolutely get an iMac. And I never take my laptop with me on vacation, because: 1) I might lose it, 2) I'd rather bring a nintendo DS or DSLR instead, 3) with 20kg baggage restriction I think I'd rather leave this 2.5 kg machine at home!

So, unless I absolutely need to do some work during my vacation (which sucks), it stays locked inside the bedroom.

9. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Hm.. so says a friend of mine..

But I still don't really know :confused:
    It's a lot of money for me, so I wanna be sure I make the right choice..

10. tyreal macrumors member

Go with the Macbook and a 22" Dell monitor. This combo offers more flexibility and will be sufficient for your needs.

11. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

12. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Thats my setup and it works a treat.

OP - watch my videos in my sig ;)

EDIT: here

13. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

If the iMac get's updated monday, I will think about it again then. If they will not get upgraded monday, I might wanna buy a MacBook. I don't want to wait 2 more months for an up to date iMac but I don't want a not-up to date iMac either...

Reactions and advice still very welcome!

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The iMac update won't be something too major. I'd get the iMac if I were you to be honest, do you really need the portability? Most laptop users waste cash thinking they are actually going to move with it, but only take it off their desk once a week, if that.

Do keep in mind, most replies will be in favor of the MacBook as you are in that subforum. If you were in iMac you could expect a different result.

15. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

I know that ;)

In iMac no responses came.. But if the iMac get's more GHz, GB RAM etc. in january, I wouldn't like buying one now..

16. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

and a mini display port ;)

17. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

18. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

display port is becoming the new standard in display interface... and means u can use it with the new LED LCD ACD

19. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, cool, but I don't think I'll ever buy a ACD, or, not before I'm a millionaire:) Can get a 22'' for 150/160, or a 20'' ACD for 500 or so (euros)..

I believe you if you say ACD is better bla bla, that's why I'll buy it when I'm rich, not now:D

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the ACD uses a better panel; worth it if you plan to make money off of it. ;)

21. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

If I think clear, I think I should wait till january for an iMac. But I'm not sure if I can wait that long. Plus the MacBooks look awesome.:)

But all that problem-topics make me afraid..:eek:

22. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Any more advice, please?

The iMac's ain't coming tomorrow, are they:(

23. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Not a difficult choice really. If you need/want the portability then you go with a MacBook. If you don't care about portability, the iMac isn't a bad choice.

I personally would go with a MacBook but that's because I'm a student and take my notebook with me to school everyday. Also, like previously mentioned you can hook it up to a monitor if you want the feel of a desktop.

24. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Very well put. It all comes down to whether the OP needs portability or not. I use my MacBook with a monitor 99% of the time. But, when I'm vacation, I like to be able to backup my photos, and write down all my expenses.

25. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I honestly wish I got the iMac now instead of the MacBook. It's an awesome computer will a screen that is much better than the MacBook's for less the price.

I feel like it was stupid to get, I never move with it, I freak out if I get anything on the plastic, and even though it has enough power for me, that iMac is more future proof.