Help - new Ipod on Apple logo

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Macfisto, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Macfisto macrumors member

Hi, I'm new since tonight on the Ipod and Apple world so not sure if this is ok or not.

Just bought the Ipod Touch 64g and was synching with Itunes after I did some steps in Itunes. Everything seemed to be loading/synching fine but I left a few minutes before it completed. When I came back, Itunes was back the way it was before (no eveidence of an Ipod whatsoever) and the Ipod has the Apple logo stuck in the middle of the screen.

Regardless of what I seem to do (unplug the usb or not), nothing seems to be happening. It had been synching/charging for 1h30 now. Does this logo mean it's charging?

The only thing I seem to be able to do is pressing both buttons at the same time and the logo disappears...only to reappear by itself after 5 seconds or so if plugged in and if not plugged in, it stays off.

What does it mean? Should I let charge (is that why the logo is there and I can't do anything?)? Or is there something wrong?

Please help asap (it's late here and I don't wanna let it like this all night if there is something wrong)

Thanks

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

1. Unplug your ipod
    2. Hold the home button and power button on top for around 10-15 seconds and reset it
    3. Make sure you're running iTunes 9
    4. Plug in the iPod Touch

3. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

That's pretty much what I am doing! Won't work. What does Reset mean?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

A reset is what they told you (press the home and sleep).

First open iTunes and connect your USB cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your Touch. Then press and hold the home button on your Touch while connecting the USB cord into your Touch and continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes.

5. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Did that but where would I see the restore button in Itunes? nothing happened in Itunes!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You did what? The reset or what I told you?

Under the summary tab....restore.

7. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Yes I did that , what you told me.

But I don't see "tabs" or a "summary"...where? Like I said, nothing happened in Itunes...it`s just as like the Ipod never existed for Itunes

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Let's back up. Does your computer recognize when you plug in the Touch? If not, you need to resinstall iTunes. If so, you need to try a restore in DFU mode (plug it in with iTunes, shut off, wait 5 seconds, hold home and sleep for exactly 10 seconds, and then continue holding home for 10 more seconds and itunes should recognize the Touch....follow the remaining step to restore). Google DFU mode if you want more info.

9. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

10. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Drain it!

Drain the battery life completely by leaving your iPod unplugged for awhile. Then try plugging it into iTunes and see if it recognizes it. It works on Nanos, Palm Tungstens, Palm Treos and several old RCA mp3 players. It worked on my friends itouch. TRY IT!

11. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

No, nothing happens in my compnter and/or itunes when I plug it...but the apple logo appears on the touch when I plug it. That's it. I will try reinstalling Itunes...that I installed just yesterday I think....and it was working fine the first time I connected (it was charging the battery before I decided to synch with Itunes which seemed fine...did 90% or so aI say before I went away and came back seing my itunes as if nothing happened (no Ipod or anything) and seeing the Ipod with the logo screen on.

I will try reinstalling Itunes

12. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Ok I tried uninstalling Itunes and reinstalling it. Nothing! Pc or Itunes unresponsive (to ipod plugged in). Ipod back on with Apple Logo!

Don't know what to do! My first Apple experience is not a great one let me tell you!

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Do the DFU mode restore I told you above.

14. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your effort by the way...but I can I do this part:

"plug it in with iTunes, shut off, wait 5 seconds, ". If I shut off (by holding both button for about 5 seconds) the ipod will restart within 1-2 seconds. I can't wait 5 seconds if it's plugged in, it goes back to the logo all the time if it's plugged in!

15. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Ok I just ignored that fact (that it reopened before the 5 seconds were up) and after another 16 seconds or so (keeping the home button) the Pc recognized it and went to restore!

Seems to restoring right now!

Thanks for your help....will be back if needed...but it's my first experience with Apple so not sure what went wrong (PC is brand new)

16. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Good. It was just a small issue. Now fix up that clunky pc you have by purchasing a Macbook. Best Wishes with your iPod.

17. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Ok now it did some kind of restore, at least parts of it with different steps. Now I have on the ipod the logo screen with a bar below (like to indicate progress of download or similar) and Itunes keeps on saying "waiting for Ipod" and nothing else has been happening on both sides for a few minutes.

Any reason? what to do?

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

WAIT!!

This is normal. Just wait until it's finished.

19. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Definitely steer clear of this advice if you don't want to pay 2.5x the amount of money for what you're actually getting.

20. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

But there is no progress bar on both itunes or the ipod that shows any progress!

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Give it awhile. It should finally show something. Make sure you did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIEx0nPl8A

22. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Well the drivers got installed and Itunes went online and it did a few things for a few minutes.

Now I'm stuck at the "waiting for Ipod" pop-up....not sure what it's waiting for. You are saying it's doing something....what exactly is it doing? (ipod still shows Apple logo with the bar below being empty)

23. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's definitely not normal. It should be on "Waiting For iPod" for maybe one or two minutes at the most, the restore should easily be done within 5 minutes - the entire time the progress bar at the bottom of the iPod's screen should be moving. I'd take it in and get a replacement, looks like you have one of the rare DOA units.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Any changes?

25. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

No...I close down Itunes (from task manager) and redid those setps you gave me to go in recovery mode again...saying stuff like "preparing Ipod for restore"...and "verifying ipod for restore"...and now back to waiting for ipod (earlier i went online for a few minutes...did not do this this time)

May I ask what a restore actually does?