Help please! :/ (bought wrong phone model on eBay)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lcd326, May 24, 2011.

1. lcd326 macrumors newbie

hi im new here but my iphone 4 broke and i do not have insurance so to make a long story short i bought one off ebay....but it turns out it is a verizon model and im on att(i found this out the hard way when i went to put my sim in and i found no sim slot:/ )...am i just out of luck or do you think the apple store if i explained my problem would let me exchange the verizon model for a used at&t model? i spent 400 dollars on this phone i cant afford another one :[

2. mltaylor macrumors regular

SOL...sell it on ebay or craigslist and then buy an ATT one. Until then use a go phone or something.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i imagine if you bought it off ebay someone will buy it the same off you

also the broken one can't you return that to ATT and pay the $200 out of warranty for a refurb?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

That's why it's a good idea to know the difference between GSM and CDMA. :rolleyes:

Throw the CDMA back up on eBay and get an out of warranty replacement from Apple.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know huh:D

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you had returned the broken one to Apple they would have done an out of warranty replacement for $199. If you still have it you can do this.... sell the Verizon one on eBay.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hopefully the ESN wasn't flagged on the Verizon phone you got. Should make selling easier if its clean. And why didn't you just take your AT&T iPhone back to Apple and pay the 200$ replacement fee?

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Sell it on craigslist. Why deal with listing it on ebay, the auction fees, and shipping? If you are smart about how you deal on craigslist, you'll never have a problem, and ive never had an apple product sit around for more than a day or two. Price it right, sell it quick, and take your broken phone to the apple store to get an out of warranty replacement.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Nothing you can do with Apple. Give the guy you bought it from a heads up. Ask if he will accept a return, if not, sell it on Craigslist.

You are totally f'ed up if the ESN was blocked; if it is, then there's nothing you can do :(

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems like the best plan.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) caveat emptor - it is YOUR respnsibility to know what you are spending your money on. Unless it was falsely advertised as a GSM phone, you are SOL
    2) as mentioned before your broken iPhone could have been replaced by Apple for LESS than you paid on eBay. If you didn't know this, I'd be surprised (casting doubt on the story).
    3) you will have to resell the phone, hopefully wiser, but poorer

13. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Well said. I love Craigslist, and I hate dealing with eBay. Quick, local, legit sale and you're done.

Sold my iPod Touch on craigslist, bought my iPad on craigslist, never a problem.

14. Orion126 macrumors regular

Check craigslist and see if someone wants to swap iPhones with you.