Help please. Never seen this...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by suckatcomputers, Aug 30, 2012.

1. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

"This computer's local hostname "my-mac-mini.local." is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "my-mac-mini-2.local".

To change the local hostname, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then click "Edit" and type the name in the Local Hostname field.

I haven't touched anything in System Preferences or done anything different from what I normally do. This is the first time I've seen this message and I'm afraid somebody has access to my computer or something worse. I clicked OK and my macmini is working fine but I haven't seen this in the 2 years I've owned my macmini.

What should I do?

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

First thing: on the Sharing pref-pane, have you got any sharing items ticked? If yes, un-tick them all, reboot and see if same message appears.

If it does, someone has got at you, and you will need to delve further.

If you don't have any sharing ticked, just change your local name from "MY" to something else - and then change your admin password at the same time.

3. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

Uhh what kind of network are you on? School work home

If home do you have another Mac computer

4. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

I'm at home. My girlfriend may have had a friend over who had a Mac. If that's the case, what do I do and why did this happen?

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

well if the two machines had the same name that is how it happened. At one time i had 4 mac minis all were named macmini. so this happened 4 times.

6. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

OLDCODGER: Thanks- I don't have any ticked and after rebooting, still all good.

I used "MY" for the sake of the discussion. I'm pretty sure her computer did NOT have the same name as mine.

Any other issues that could have caused this?

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

In theory no. Only a computer with the same name. But that was true for snow leopard and leopard. I now use different names for lion and mountain lion so maybe the newer osx will allow it for other reasons. I have not had the problem since 09 or maybe early 10.

8. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

I found out nobody who used my internet connection had the same name as me. My local hostname was changed. Why?

9. Darby67 macrumors 6502