• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

blueskyflyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Hi everyone,

So I got an imac from work after we upgraded all of the computers. Its a mid 2008 imac, it was running os x Leopard 10.5.8 prior. Apparently they used DBAN on it to wipe out private/sensitive information. I tried burning a .dmg file for leopard 10.5 installation on my pc laptop with PowerIso on a DLDVD (8.5 gb). In the imac it starts to load, i see the gray apple logo, then it turns to the prohibitory sign soon after. I tried hooking up an ethernet cable and doing a cmd+r start up for internet recovery and nothing works, I think the 2008 model isn't recent enough for that? I have read that since I made the install disk on a pc (or even if you make it on a different model imac?) that it might not work on this model imac? Do i have to get another mid 2008 imac to burn the .dmg file properly in disk utility? Super confused. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
You've probably got the retail 10.5.0 .dmg file.
I'd suggest using a later system, as it can run anything up to the last El Capitan.
[doublepost=1467111058][/doublepost]You've probably got the retail 10.5.0 .dmg file.
I'd suggest using a later system, as it can run anything up to the last El Capitan.

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Skip Leopard completely, go to 10.6.x "Snow Leopard".

Actually, a 2008 iMac will run as well using 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion".

As blueskyflyers mentioned above, it will even run 10.11 "El Capitan" -- although the performance running from an older platter-based hard disk drive may leave something to be desired.

I set up a friend with Mountain Lion on a 2008-vintage iMac, and it's still doing fine.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.