Help! PowerMac G5 (7,2) OSX Install not working!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hartleymartin, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I have a PowerMac G5 7,2 which I managed to get all the hardware working, but now I cannot get OSX to install. I have a set of 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 CDs but obviously, these only came with drivers for the Intel-based Macs.

What installation discs do I need to get a my PowerPC Mac to install OSX?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

3. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Don't forget, MacintoshGarden has the dmgs online. So you can download them and stick them on a USB to install with.(or can PowerMacs not do that?)

Could probably save you from shelling out $30-50

4. Andy2k, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

Andy2k macrumors member

I like imodfrenzy's idea. Save your money, don't spend it on Mac's old OS abandonware.

If you do end up creating a USB installation thumb drive, make sure you format the USB drive with the Apple Partition Map format option. (not the defacto GUID partition map. The older Mac G5's can't boot from a GUID PM. Trying to save you time, I had to figure this out the hard way);)

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

5. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Found an old copy of 10.2.7 for PowerMac G5 for a few bucks. I thought it may be worth holding on to it just in case.

6. Andy2k macrumors member

Cool by all means if you can find it for cheap. Keep us posted on your progress.

7. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I had originally bought this G5 as "not working" with the intention of doing an ATX case conversion. Turns out that it only needed a dust-out, replacement HDD and a replacement graphics card. I got Lubuntu 16.04 installed and everything works. Once I've got OSX installed, I'll probably try to sell it on to a retro-mac enthusiast.

Anyone in Sydney, Australia wanting to give a good home to a G5? I'd only be looking to recover my expenses for the work I've done to it.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It would likely have shipped with 10.2.7, the PowerMac G5 restore disc images are available as iModFrenzy detailed above.

OS X 10.2.7 is quite limited, you'd be better going to 10.4/10.5 for anything other than an out of the box experience. For the later versions you'd require retail (i.e. not grey) OS X Tiger or Leopard media.

9. hartleymartin, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Just scored a 10.5 for PowerMac G5 disc of eBay. Either way, the G5 isn't getting used since I now have a 2008 Mac Pro and I think it would be best to pass it on to a proper enthusiast or sell it on eBay.

It might not be able to do much now since software support from Apple ended several years ago, but it does run the latest version of Linux compiled for PowerPC architecture and can make a perfectly usable, if relatively low-powered Linux machine.

Between Firefox, VLC and LibreOffice there is 90% of the functionality of a home computer. I even have a spare 1050p display that will take the DVI input and function quite happily with the graphics card.

10. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

For some reason 10.5 has not yet arrived, but I did have an old G5 install disc with 10.2.7 on it.

Is there somewhere I can download the upgrade software? I have a couple of 10.4.x discs, but they are all for Intel-based Macs and I cannot find PowerPC versions.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You can download PPC Mac OS X disk images here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

Edit: If you mean only updating to 10.2.8, that's here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL644

12. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Thanks. It's going to take about 3-4 hours to download the Tiger installation, but I can deal with that.

13. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I cannot get my G5 to boot off the CD. Have I don't something wrong in toaster?

14. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Hold Option, and wait for it to get to the menu. If it spits out the disc, put it back in and hit the refresh button. That sometimes fixes the issue, I nearly always have to do this with my Quicksilver in order to get it to boot from any disc.

15. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Okay, so the convoluted story about the PowerMac G5 boils down to this:

I found a PowerMac G5 specific Install CD for OSX 10.2.7 That has installed and works perfectly, except it is so old that you cannot do anything with it (internet won't work, can't get LibreOffice to work, etc)

I have an install CD set for 10.4.8 "For Mac Computers" It boots off the CD, but then says that OSX Tiger cannot be installed. Huh?

16. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Aside from hunting around eBay, is there a way of getting an OSX 10.4 installation for the PowerMac G5 that I know will work? The downloads from Macintosh Garden have not worked for me.

17. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You need a retail (ie non-grey) disc.

Grey discs are restore CDs bundled with a new Mac and are usually restricted to the machine type they shipped with. If your 10.4.8 is grey then it's almost certainly from an Intel mac and won't work on PPC.

18. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Older Macs are very fussy about CD/DVDS - your best chance is burning to good quality -R media. I take it you are burning the image to DVD and not copying the .img file to DVD?

19. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Indeed, burning the image to the disc not just copying the file over.

I'm going to hunt around for a retail version of OSX 10.4.x That should install onto a PowerMac G5. I have found retail versions of 10.5.x but that doesn't support classic environment, which is what I'll want for games.

20. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Are you burning to -R? You could also try the write to USB stick route (guide on here somewhere).

21. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Yup, was burning to CD-R.

Most infuriating thing was that the first 10.4.11 CD worked at first, then kept coming up as an error while copying over the files, saying to start over.