Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
No complaints at all... I bought 2 as a set for raid0 back then, the other one still works like new and lives in bay2 as an exFAT drive to share files between macOS and Win 10.
I'd say you definitely got your money's worth from that!
[doublepost=1527641768][/doublepost]So an update on the files, I tried the recovery program and it failed :(

The data recovery center wanted $3500 to recover the data. Needless to say, I didn't have them recover it.
I believe they are a rip-off. I'm in Japan and it's often expensive to do things like this. I'm gonna try another place in the US that I've used before that is more reliable.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'd say you definitely got your money's worth from that!
[doublepost=1527641768][/doublepost]So an update on the files, I tried the recovery program and it failed :(

The data recovery center wanted $3500 to recover the data. Needless to say, I didn't have them recover it.
I believe they are a rip-off. I'm in Japan and it's often expensive to do things like this. I'm gonna try another place in the US that I've used before that is more reliable.

Ha ha...

I still have some RLL/MFM drives that still work.... I think I paid about $8,000 for my first Winchester drive. That one died however.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleHillsMac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
$3,500....?

Take a deep breath.
Take SEVERAL deep breaths, and then ask yourself...

Is the lost data worth $3,500?
Is it worth $2,500?
Is it worth $1,500?
Is it worth $500?

Sometimes, it's better to just "let it go and start anew", than to spend that kind of money.
Whether YOU wish to spend it is... up to you.

Suggestion:
Buy TWO drives next time.
Use one as your "primary" external storage drive.
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to regularly clone its contents to the second drive.
Then... in the future... if one of the drives fails, you might still "get what you need" from the other one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.