HELP! Reinstalled ealier version of Mac OS X than what came on computer.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Curse, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Curse macrumors newbie

I followed instructions that I came across on the internet to reinstall mac os x as I just got an iMac second hand.

Was not given the option to 'Erase and install' and instead followed through the install and now things are not working properly.

I noted down that it was OS X 10.1.5 now it is OS X 10.1.2.

When I start up it only shows the display and the time in the top right corner. Will not display dock or finder.

Please help! What can I do to fix this?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try starting in "safe" mode by holding down the shift key on startup. Then, you should be able to install the update to 10.1.5.

I'm curious as to what model iMac that is. 10.1 is very old, and really was the first useable version of OS-X. You should try and upgrade to a bare minimum of 10.2 (Jaguar), but the latest version that will run on your model would probable be best.

10.3 (Panther) would be the lowest I would recommend; 10.4 (Tiger) even better (I'm making a guess your model is below the minimum spec to run Leopard, 10.5.).

3. Curse, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

Curse thread starter macrumors newbie

It is Power PC G4.

Did 'safe' mode restart and still same problem - just the display icon and date stamp in corner. When I try to shut down it won't let me and says that 'Finder' quit the restart.

Found copy of Tiger but the previous owner said it never worked properly.

4. Curse, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

Curse thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add that I used the install disks that came with the computer.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's not something you'll go through if you buy a modern Apple computer.

Why don't you UPDATE the software from 10.1.2?

Do you know you can buy the much faster intel mac mini for just a few hundred?

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Can you run Repair Disk from Disk Utility on the install disc?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

As someone else mentioned, try running Disk Utility Repair Disk off of your install disc (while booted off it). Or, just reformat (which will erase the contents). The correct format would be "Mac OS Extended". That should give you a clean slate, provided there are no hardware issues (with the drive, in particular). Memory problems would show with different symptoms.

If those are the original discs, it should work. Though, from what I can find on the earliest model (desk lamp style), the minimum it shipped with was 10.1.3. If it was any later model, it should have shipped with 10.2. Original discs should be grey.

10.4, Tiger, should work just fine on that model. I used to run it on a slower 667MHz PowerBook.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

According to EveryMac.com Apple iMac G4/700 (Flat Panel) Specs shipped with 9.2.2 & X 10.1.2. Since we haven't been given any more info than it's a G4 iMac it's kind of hard to make specific recommendations.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

To go along with what others have posted...

You should definitely try to upgrade to either 10.3 or 10.4.

You'll find OS 10.1.x _very_ limiting, insofar as browsing is concerned, because the browsers and other software are too antiquated to handle much of what you'll encounter on the web today.

You should look for a 10.4 "universal" install DVD. Or, at the very least, OS 10.3.

Then, once you get the basic install completed, go to Apple's site and download the "combo" updater, which will get you to 10.4.11 (or to 10.3.9). Then use software update to apply whatever other updates are available.

IMPORTANT -- you _do_ have a drive in the older iMac that can read DVD's, is that correct?