HELP - Scratched/Gouged the Screen!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tottenham4Life, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Tottenham4Life macrumors member

I dropped the phone on a rock that I was sitting in while surfing the web. It has two small scratches and gouges. I did not think it would bother me but it really does. Any ideas on how I can get them out or if Apple will let me exchange it.

This is a white 3G 16GB iPhone by the way........

:(:apple::(:apple::(:apple:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple do not cover clumsiness or user damage.

3. Tottenham4Life thread starter macrumors member

Apple DOES not cover clumsiness or user damage

If you are going to be snide at least use proper grammar

4. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I was driving and wrapped my new car around a tree, do you think the dealer will replace it? Where do you people come from, you damage something and you think the manufacture will replace it. Is there no personal responsibility any more at all.

If it really bothers you buy another one, and take care of it next time you're sitting "in" a rock.

Or were you sitting in Iraq?

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i think your only hope is that something else goes wrong and you'll be able to swap it for that. apple or a 3rd party might be able to replace your screen, but it will probably cost close to the price of a new iphone.

this is when you start praying for dead pixels to appear... :cool:

6. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Even if there are dead pixels he dropped it and damaged the screen , why would they replace it.

7. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

I agree! PWNED! :D

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

because dead pixels aren't because of dropping the phone. it was just an example, anyways, home-skillet.

how about this, pray for cracks or dust under the screen or for it to spontaneously combust or for it to crash and be un-rebootable or SSH in and delete all the files in a way that makes it un-restorable, etc.

in-other words, pray for something bad to happen to it covered by the warranty...

9. Tottenham4Life thread starter macrumors member

My first question was if anyone knew of how it can be fixed somhow via polishing.

I knew with the 1st gen iphone you could have paid $200 and received a replacement for any damage.

Anyone care to answer the actual questions I asked?

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

you can't fix it by polishing. you may get the scratch out, but you'll ruin the screen's responsiveness.

and if you read my earlier post, i said you can most likely have apple replace the screen for a very high fee. just call them and ask.

11. jdslow macrumors member

Before you go grammar-nazi on people, maybe you should think outside your American-centric box:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-grammar-collective-nouns.htm

The reply was factual and frank. It wasn't rude or snide. OP is naive expecting apple to replace something he f'd up.

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

they have, you will not get it replaced by apple unless you pay the full, unsubsidised price
    and you can't simply 'rub out' scratches

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Being a grammar Nazi myself, I'll point out that you are technically correct. However, apple being a singular noun and more common and Apple referring to Jobs & Co, it SOUNDS extremely wrong. It's always bothered me but you can't really call somebody wrong because of how it sounds.

Oh, and can people stop generalizing about Americans? That'd be great. We're not all snide and pompous.

14. Tottenham4Life thread starter macrumors member

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

and nor are all British people posh :)

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If i crash my Infiniti, is Infiniti going to give me a new one?

No.

17. Tottenham4Life thread starter macrumors member

I think in your case it is because you drive a Daihatsu

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Good. Then it's settled.

I sympathize with the OP, but I don't think it would be fair to the masses to get a replacement for something you did rather than a build quality or functionality issue. You're really taking from those who have legitimate problems.

I kept my first iPhone in perfect shape with no cases or any other protection and ended up having to exchange it because of wifi problems. Within the first week I had a cluster of small nicks and a fairly large scratch on the chrome bezel of my new one. I'm living with it but if it were something with the screen I'd probably end up selling and getting something else (other than a 3G).

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I haven't done it, but I've seen replacement glass with tools on eBay. I didn't spend too much time looking at it so I may be wrong, but it is worth checking out if you really want to try and fix it. There are some threads on buffing it with various light abrasives.

They can't help it with me becase I'm fat and own a gun. (BTW: One of my vendor contacts in the UK loved that one.)

20. Pixellated macrumors 65816

BTW: Tottenham is a terrible place. I used to live there.

21. alFR macrumors 68020

You're missing a couple of full stops there.

22. greedyboy macrumors newbie

Help!!

I crashed my Bentley Continental GT, do you think Bentley will replace it for a new one?

23. richg916 macrumors regular

Sounds like you are f**ked

24. greedyboy macrumors newbie

How the hell were you sitting IN a rock???