Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get Parallels installed and I've run into a glitch. When formatting the drive during windows install windows xp gives me an error that the drive c is the wrong format and asks me to format a new drive. I do NOT want to screw up my wonderful mac. The explanation is not cut and paste able but it generally says ...

"Setup is unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

blah blah blah

You may select a different partition for windows xp press enter to continue."

Can anyone help me? Sitting here looking for responses.

Thanx

David

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
What version are you using, and can you grab a screen shot? Also, what settings did you choose for the disk setup? Amd - what are you installing it on - give your mac specs. The more info you can supply, the better the chances of getting a fix.

I have installed numerous virtual machines and have never seen this.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
I have a macbook pro 17" ... brand new. Installing windows xp professional.

Two days ago I tried to install boot camp but my windows xp disc was an OEM disc which I didn't realize can't be installed on another machine. So I bought a new license for xp and now I see this.

I uninstalled boot camp after I removed the xp partition and I bought parralels .. I'm wondering if that is the problem ... that it still sees the partition. Its showing the capacity of my 160 gb drive as 148 gb .. does that reflect an existing bootcamp partition?

I'm not sure how to take a screen shot .. new to Mac .. sorry can you tell me how?

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Also, SHould I use the Beta Parallels? Some people seem to recomend it but I just want it stable.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Boot camp won't have anything to do with this. Does it actually start the "formatting" process? When you run Parallels and install XP, Parallels is only creating a normal file under Mac OS X, and then the program makes it look like a partition to Windows. Go through the steps as if you have a brand spanking new disk. I don't remember the default size, but before you go through the activation process, make sure you have created your Windows partition large enough. One quick word here - if you tell Parallels to make it, say 30GB, and make it an extendable disk, then it will start out small and grow as it needs space.

Also - upgrade to the latest RC1 when you get a chance - it rocks.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
It actually starts formatting and then stops and gives me the error. How do I take a screen shot?

God I hate windows.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
I tried as both FAT and NTFS and with the quick format it goes 0% then jumps to 100% and then gives me the following error ..

SETUP WAS UNABLE TO FORMAT THE PARTITION. THE DISK MAY BE DAMAGED.

MAKE SURE THE DRIVE IS SWITCHED ON AND PROPERLY CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. IF THE DISK IS A SCSI DISK, MAKE SURE YOUR SCSI DEVICES ARE PROPERLY TERMINATED. CONSULT YOUR COMPUTER MANUAL OR SCSI ADAPTER DOCUMENTATION FOR MORE INFORMATION

YOU MUST SELECT A DIFFERENT PARTITION FOR WINDOWS XP. TO CONTINUE PRESS ENTER.

Hope that helps :)

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
The disc that I *think* parallels is creating is ...

7994 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)

C: Partition1 (New <Raw>)

Sorry to be such a dolt

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
First - have you restarted your system after installing Parallels? That has solved some problems for me.

Second - run the check permissions and make sure all is in good order.

Lastly, go back and edit the disk setup and create a new file to see if that gets you any further. Make the size bigger or something so the file has to be created anew.

(Screenshots are done with the Grab program - in your utilities folder in your applications area)

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
First - have you restarted your system after installing Parallels? That has solved some problems for me.

Second - run the check permissions and make sure all is in good order.

Lastly, go back and edit the disk setup and create a new file to see if that gets you any further. Make the size bigger or something so the file has to be created anew.

(Screenshots are done with the Grab program - in your utilities folder in your applications area)

or, just hit command :)apple: ) shift 4 and than spacebar and clcik on the window, youll find the file on the desktop.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Here is a Pic. I've rebooted and at this point pulling my hair out ... wondering if I should return parallels and go with boot camp. Ugg

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 141

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
and another shot ... I put it up to 12 gb

All the prior screens seemed to be a normal windows setup.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    79 KB · Views: 133

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
I tried create and it gives me the question .. ntfs or fat, etc... I choose one and it starts and goes back to the error message ..

I DID NOT click delete partition because I'm afraid I'll jack up my mac.

BTW ... thanks for being so responsive

David

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
I tried create and it gives me the question .. ntfs or fat, etc... I choose one and it starts and goes back to the error message ..

I DID NOT click delete partition because I'm afraid I'll jack up my mac.

BTW ... thanks for being so responsive

David

You are welcome - watching UCLA and Oregon while I'm posting!

Try deleting the partition and then creating a new one - you are only working with a file that Parallels is creating - not a real partition on your disk. Only Parallels (and eventually XP) will see it as a partition. I don't think you will harm the mac.

Or create a new disk in Parallels in a different location. I can't believe you have a bad spot on your mac drive, but anything is possible.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Okay ... trying that. Everyone at my office thinks I'm crazy buying a mac but I love it ... I really want parallels to work so I can watch their jaws drop

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
two more screen shots .. same problem over and over

is it possible my disc is bad?

I'm about ready to surrender and go with boot camp

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 115

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Bought at a store but ran updater before starting and it said I had most recent version. Build 1970

downloading parallels release candidate now .. maybe that will fix things.

Seems like these things are always difficult for me. Ugg

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
AHA! That may be it. I did a quick search on the forums there but nothing glaring turned up. Maybe someone else on the board has some insight on this.

Is there a reason you are running encrypted drives?

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
yup ... I'm a lawyer .. if this laptop got in the wrong hands there is very confidential data on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.