Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Its just not working :confused:

I'm really getting frustrated. I really need to run a couple windows programs and was hoping this thing would do it. I've put in my windows license code with parallels .. hopefully that wont jack me up if I go the boot camp route. Though I must admit parallels would have been much better. I hope they will live up to their 30 day refund policy stated on the box :(

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Sorry for delay ... tried again to no avail.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 160mb drive. Its the new one. I bout it last weekend. I have been running windows for 20 years mainly because I was forced to by the software in my industry. Now I've switched over and Love the mac. I actually remember the machines in the college computer lab (I could never afford one back then) that would say "Hello!" to me when I turned them on.

So I need windows for 2 bloody programs. It sort of makes me crazy but I do

First I tried Crossover Mac. Unfortunately it would not do the trick. Then I tried boot camp but had the wrong kind of windows boot up disk (OEM) and, after reading several articles, it seemed parallels was right for me.

So today I bought my box in the store and installed it, updated it to build 1970 and installed. The install went fine until I got to the part where it creates the partition and I got this goofy screen saying my drive was bad. THis mac is less than a week old.

I tried preparing it in every possible config, ntfs, fat ... and same problem over and over.

I then downloaded the Parallels release candidate and got the same error. Attached are screen shots.

I'd REALLY like for this program to work.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    47 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 74

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
with respect to your encryption issue there is a way to make files that are encrypted that when unlocked appear on the mac desktop as drives ... I deleted them in this process but can rebuild them later (more time .. ugg)

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Was just about to head out and saw this.

How much memory in your Mac? If you have 2GB, then give the Windows system 1GB to run with.

I have a W2K virtual machine that demands 1GB of memory or I have goofy problems. I'm not saying that this will fix your problem you are having, but it's about the last thing that I can see with what you have posted.

If all you can give to Parallels is the 512MB you have listed, then you will be real disappointed in the performance of XP under Parallels.

G'luck - I'll check back tomorrow night, but maybe someone else here has some different ideas that will get you running. You might try the forums at parallels.

Carpediem68

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
It works.

I have no idea why but after turning it off, pouring a genourous cocktail, and watching some Superbowl coverage I decided to try again. It loaded no problem and works fine. I only run 2 relatively small programs that organize data .. a bit of a combination spreadsheet database for trial lawyers. It works flawlessy and I'm very pleased.

I have an antivirus program question but since it is off topic I'll ask in another thread.

Thank you for all your help!

darrin60

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2007
Also cannot format disk image while in Windows XP Setup Program

I'm also having the same problem as user Carpediem68.

Here are the details of my setup
- MacPro with 2 Gig of Ram
- Parallels on Build 3188 (March 7, 2007)
- Installing Windows XP Home (Upgrade Edition)

Problem: When I get to the point of the setup following the insertion of my previous version of Windows (that part is successful), the setup program asks me choose the partition I wish to install in. I choose the only available disk partition.
screen1.jpg

I then choose the appropriate format and method (quick vs. full). I've tried all of these and they all return the same error.
screen2.jpg

The program looks like it's going to format, then suddenly fails and returns the following screen.
screen3.jpg

I've tried resetting file permissions, rebooting, changing memory and hard drive allocations and nothing has resolved this issue for me.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Update: Well, I managed to figure this one out. When I updated the memory being used I only took it out to 1 gig. I tried again and took it out to 1.5 meg and the program formatted the disk correctly.

d3h872

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2001
Tri-Cities, Washington
How I Got it to Work

I tried MANY configurations....

I finally realized that I wasn't using the default RAM value of 512 anytime, so I tried that...and boom! it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.