Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mumbles27

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2004
London N4
Following this as i was just about to give up on my Mac. MBP 15" Retina Mid 2014 was crashing after 1 minute, no warning, black screen, no fault message, or anything, in console. Apple diagnostics in satore gave thi machine a complete clean bill of health. Clean install of Big Sur now with no additiona software installed and still crashes.

im now Cat 6'd in to my MBP 15" Retina Mid 2014 as using the Thunderbolt port seems to stop it crashing. Removing it and the machine crashes.

ive seen 2 fixes here, not sure i understand. 1 is the OCLP, 2 is the terminal commands to what looks like stop the port working [non tech here].

i tried the OCLP but even though i followed unstructions, and as im using my port, it didnt work. Should it?

Am i best to go with the Terminal Commands?

mumbles27

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2004
London N4
I confirmed open core is the best way to fix plus you can enjoy Monterey installing open core is very easy if anybody need help I can post step by step guide
id like advice... and can my Mid 2014 MBP 15" run Monterey as App Store certainly doent think so...

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
id like advice... and can my Mid 2014 MBP 15" run Monterey as App Store certainly doent think so...
Apple only supports up to Big Sur on a 2014 MBP, not Monterey.

mafooq

Suspended
Oct 8, 2019
Pakistan
Yes with open core you can install Monterey

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 7.02.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 7.02.53 AM.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 124

mumbles27

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2004
London N4
and is it better to use Open Core App, or use Terminal Commands, or do i need to do both?

I have tried Open Core but it doesnt appear to swicth of the port.???!!

mumbles27

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2004
London N4
Can anyone help with this?

i use Open Core and follow directions but the Thundertbolt Port is still acive.

ive teied the Terminal commands, gone back to sevwral forums which talk about those commands, and the orede fo commands changes, and i cant get some of the commands to work.

Borisio

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2022
I own a 15" Macbook Pro Late 2013. Everything works great in Monterey, no problems so far.
I have same 11.2 Macbook pro, 15" mid 2014 Can you please tell me does Thunderbolt work for an external monitor after this mod or is it completely disabled? ? It is important to me as using two monitors one via Thunderbolt, and one via HDMI. Also, have you noticed anything else since your upgrade to the Monterey installation, is everything working well? thanks for letting me know.

Borisio

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2022
I don't mess with any of the cache stuff. Here are the steps I used AFTER 11.6.4 update.

My disk is labeled MacOS. Therefore, wherever you see "MacOS" below, replace with your HD label
- Disable File Vault (if enabled)
- Reboot into Recovery Mode (CMD + R)
- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/MacOS
- cd /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext AppleThunderboltNHI.kept.bak
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/MacOS
- bless --folder /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot
This worked for me on Big Sur 11.7 on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

rlf613

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Installing OpenCore worked for me, I can even update it without having to repeat the process.

haralson

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
I have same 11.2 Macbook pro, 15" mid 2014 Can you please tell me does Thunderbolt work for an external monitor after this mod or is it completely disabled? ? It is important to me as using two monitors one via Thunderbolt, and one via HDMI. Also, have you noticed anything else since your upgrade to the Monterey installation, is everything working well? thanks for letting me know.
I don't know - but just leave the Thunderbolt adapter plugged in, forget about the mods, and you won't have any problems.

haralson

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Hum, So external monitors work for you if they come trough thunderbolt input?
Not specifically an external monitor (although I'm fairly sure I plugged someone else's Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter in a few times).

I don't have the problematic Macbook any more, but when I did, I had no problems with Thunderbolt devices. But that's like saying nothing at all, because I attempted no mods. I simply left a Thunderbolt network adaptor permanently plugged in - which are completely cured the random shutdowns, for a period of about a year, until I sold the machine (it's still happily being used by someone else today - they also simply leave the Thunderbolt adapter plugged in.)

Other people have written that they buy a cheap Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor for the same purpose. It's not that onerous to leave a small device plugged in - just buy the cheapest, smallest one you can. (Or in your case, a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor that you actually want to use to connect to your monitor.)

Reactions: Borisio

rlf613

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
When I deleted ThunderboltNHI - all my Thunderbolt ports still worked. I have no idea what it does.

Borisio

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2022
Not specifically an external monitor (although I'm fairly sure I plugged someone else's Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter in a few times).

I don't have the problematic Macbook any more, but when I did, I had no problems with Thunderbolt devices. But that's like saying nothing at all, because I attempted no mods. I simply left a Thunderbolt network adaptor permanently plugged in - which are completely cured the random shutdowns, for a period of about a year, until I sold the machine (it's still happily being used by someone else today - they also simply leave the Thunderbolt adapter plugged in.)

Other people have written that they buy a cheap Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor for the same purpose. It's not that onerous to leave a small device plugged in - just buy the cheapest, smallest one you can. (Or in your case, a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor that you actually want to use to connect to your monitor.)
FOr some reason MAMP pro stopped working apache server not starting, could this be related??

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
I am on this topic since years, unfortunately. I repeat the terminal "liturgy" each time I have to update my MBP 2014... this is become a routine... But the main issue is that starting from a certain macOS version, I need, as many others, to keep the csrutil and csrutil authenticated-root disabled. This is a problem, for malware. I get, 2-3 times per year, some malware -Idontknowfromwhere!!- which is giving me several issues, like deletion of any cloud data at the same time of the same day of the week.... (google drive, dropbox, onedrive)...(!@#$@!!@#!) which luckily I could solve because the malware bot didn't empty the cloud trash bins...!; or unresponsive keyboard; or slow system while writing, and so on [I don't know what is the origin of that..the main suspicious application which I think of are: Onyx, which I use some now and then, Bettertouchtool, Quicksilver, or Karabiner, which I need to use the right option key as a 'forward delete' key, or even a couple of free malware analysers which I installed: VirusBarrierScanner and Malwarebytes...I know...Mac shouldn't need any virus scanner...this is what people say..but I was desperate...!!]. Anyway, to move back to the main theme.. I managed to 'cure' the Mac by this malware, following instructions related with the removal of any weird files appearing in some folders, in particular related with com.apple.TCC.. Well, I have made a virtue of necessity... but I assume this wouldn't happen If I had the csrutil enabled, but I can't have that due to the topic problem of this forum thread. I would like to know if there is the way to enable again the protections given by csrutil stuff by changing my approach. So, I am interested on OpenCore and would like to know something more about it. Would OpenCore let me to solve both my problems? Is it secure, or slightly risky for the system or for my data? Just to let me to better understand, is it a kind of a jailbreak for the iPhone? Is it a reversible process? Is it compatible with all the applications or is it giving additional bugs some here and there? Is it affecting the battery or the RAM? @naguzmans, I trust on your opinion, since I remember you are in this forum thread since a lot, so I don't think you are suggesting us to install anything dangerous. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I am on this topic since years, unfortunately. I repeat the terminal "liturgy" each time I have to update my MBP 2014... this is become a routine... But the main issue is that starting from a certain macOS version, I need, as many others, to keep the csrutil and csrutil authenticated-root disabled. This is a problem, for malware. I get, 2-3 times per year, some malware -Idontknowfromwhere!!- which is giving me several issues, like deletion of any cloud data at the same time of the same day of the week.... (google drive, dropbox, onedrive)...(!@#$@!!@#!) which luckily I could solve because the malware bot didn't empty the cloud trash bins...!; or unresponsive keyboard; or slow system while writing, and so on [I don't know what is the origin of that..the main suspicious application which I think of are: Onyx, which I use some now and then, Bettertouchtool, Quicksilver, or Karabiner, which I need to use the right option key as a 'forward delete' key, or even a couple of free malware analysers which I installed: VirusBarrierScanner and Malwarebytes...I know...Mac shouldn't need any virus scanner...this is what people say..but I was desperate...!!]. Anyway, to move back to the main theme.. I managed to 'cure' the Mac by this malware, following instructions related with the removal of any weird files appearing in some folders, in particular related with com.apple.TCC.. Well, I have made a virtue of necessity... but I assume this wouldn't happen If I had the csrutil enabled, but I can't have that due to the topic problem of this forum thread. I would like to know if there is the way to enable again the protections given by csrutil stuff by changing my approach. So, I am interested on OpenCore and would like to know something more about it. Would OpenCore let me to solve both my problems? Is it secure, or slightly risky for the system or for my data? Just to let me to better understand, is it a kind of a jailbreak for the iPhone? Is it a reversible process? Is it compatible with all the applications or is it giving additional bugs some here and there? Is it affecting the battery or the RAM? @naguzmans, I trust on your opinion, since I remember you are in this forum thread since a lot, so I don't think you are suggesting us to install anything dangerous. Thanks for your reply!
OpenCore is a patch for macOS Monterey or Ventura which allows you to install them on older macs, it is an open source project and you can check the code here https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher. So far it has been working great, with no bugs and no battery or memory issues. I recommend downloading the latest OCLP and install Monterey as Ventura support only began a couple of months ago. The patch is applied only once and you can update macOS without issues. It is also reversible.

Last edited:

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
HELP!!!! While installing the 11.7.9 update of Big Sur, my MacBook Pro - late 2014 got stuck and couldn't recover anymore...! I've tried the usual procedure, to mv the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext to become AppleThunderBoltNHI.kext.bak. But this did not help. So I need to reinstall macOS but the problem is that I cannot complete the installation, ever. I've tried 10/12 times... I guess the reason is that the AppleThunderboltNHI became with extension kext instead of kext.bak. So the system, while trying to install macOS, goes down, due to the issue of this thread topic. I have tried to install BigSur in a pendrive, of 16GB, but it doesn't allow me to create a "GUID partition" by Disk Utility. I can just format it in macOS journaled but this does not look ok for that. I am desperate. Data is inside, actually, so I could recover them somehow, but I don't know why...
thanks for your support.
Am I the only experiencing that?

jdb1000

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
I've recently updated to Big Sur, which works great, but I still had to use the method of moving the AppleThunderboltNHI to .bak since the opencorepatcher doesn't seem to save the developer settings for disabling the Thunderbolt port. Everytime I reboot it the setting is unmarked again. Are there any tips for this issue since I want to update to a newer version of Big Sur without using the moving method of the kext files?

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I've recently updated to Big Sur, which works great, but I still had to use the method of moving the AppleThunderboltNHI to .bak since the opencorepatcher doesn't seem to save the developer settings for disabling the Thunderbolt port. Everytime I reboot it the setting is unmarked again. Are there any tips for this issue since I want to update to a newer version of Big Sur without using the moving method of the kext files?
It seems you are confused, the settings are for configuring the patch, after that you have to build it and install it on your main disk.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/BUILD.html

OCLP-GUI-EFI-Select-Disk.d9a3392f.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.