Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Take the 25k and buy a GTI, that's my advice. I don't understand why you need an AWD car either...if grip is an issue have an LSD installed in the GTI - or buy an R32.

Considering the amount of money we're talking about here, it doesn't really matter what you buy. All options in this price class are are fancy, expensive luxury cars with similar features and good performance. But if I were you I'd avoid all those boring upper middle class sports sedans and get something that is actually interesting, like a used Maserati Quattroporte or Jaguar XK.

Under 7 seconds to 60mph is satisfyingly quick. I would never base a sedan purchase on a 1 second difference in 0-60 times. That is a totally arbitrary standard apropos of nothing apart from stoplight drag racing. Any anyway, that 5.9 second 328 will be easily toasted by a Mustang or WRX driven by some middle-class slob.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Should you "suck it up" and buy a lowly brand new C300 at 21 years old, or buy a terrible brand new Infiniti? Christ almighty I've got nearly a decade on you and I've done very well for myself with an excellent career and my wife would absolutely **** her pants with excitement if I showed up with an utterly rotten '09 C300 for her with 40k miles of someone else's farts in the seat, which is her dream car.

Hell all I want is a new Focus hatch, and I'm a car guy through and through. A brand new Titanium hatch comes in right at $25k...

When I see a 20 year old kid in a $50k car, I know exactly where the priorities are and I'm not envious.

The entitlement these days is unreal, I'm sure you won't be footing the insurance either.

Avoid BMW, a dime a dozen, severely overrated, and all look exactly the same. Like a Lambo, if you've seen one you've seen them all. The reason they win year in year out in every mag when they glaringly shouldn't is because they are in bed with every editor, not because the cars are the best. Nothing nore cliche than a three series.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Should you "suck it up" and buy a lowly brand new C300 at 21 years old, or buy a terrible brand new Infiniti? Christ almighty I've got nearly a decade on you and I've done very well for myself with an excellent career and my wife would absolutely **** her pants with excitement if I showed up with an utterly rotten '09 C300 for her with 40k miles of someone else's farts in the seat, which is her dream car.

Hell all I want is a new Focus hatch, and I'm a car guy through and through. A brand new Titanium hatch comes in right at $25k...

When I see a 20 year old kid in a $50k car, I know exactly where the priorities are and I'm not envious.

The entitlement these days is unreal, I'm sure you won't be footing the insurance either.

Avoid BMW, a dime a dozen, severely overrated, and all look exactly the same. Like a Lambo, if you've seen one you've seen them all. The reason they win year in year out in every mag when they glaringly shouldn't is because they are in bed with every editor, not because the cars are the best. Nothing nore cliche than a three series.

yikes. harsh.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hm...

To use a meme: If you're talking publicly about dropping greater than the mediam US income on a car at 21 years old using mommy and daddy's money, you're gonna have a bad time.

I can't believe you're surprised you've received negative reactions in this thread.

That said, BMW over Mercedes all day long.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Hm...

To use a meme: If you're talking publicly about dropping greater than the mediam US income on a car at 21 years old using mommy and daddy's money, you're gonna have a bad time.

I can't believe you're surprised you've received negative reactions in this thread.

That said, BMW over Mercedes all day long.

While I def. agree with your point, i mean if hes in the situation to get a car like that at that age, more power to him. Can't deny the fact that its alot of money though.

Just read in a magazine that diddys son received a 360k car from his 16th or 18th birthday. Crazy world.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

In what ways has he demonstrated "entitlement"? The OP simply asked for advice on a car.

Oh, FWIW, I bought my first $30,000 car at 22. Priorities.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
While I def. agree with your point, i mean if hes in the situation to get a car like that at that age, more power to him. Can't deny the fact that its alot of money though.

Just read in a magazine that diddys son received a 360k car from his 16th or 18th birthday. Crazy world.

Yeah, it's not wrong or anything, but it's an extremely large sum of money to drop on a car, and it should be expected that if you're going to go around talking about it you're going to hear negative responses. Most people seem to have enough tact to realize this, especially when it isn't even their money to begin with.

OP, also keep in ming the gift tax implications of you parents giving you this large sum of money, since you're over the annual individual allowable limit. If they are giving it to you as a joint gift then they are under the limit. Surely if your parents have that sum of money to give they realize they may have to pay a gift tax on it, but it's probably worth keeping in mind nonetheless.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
In what ways has he demonstrated "entitlement"? The OP simply asked for advice on a car.

Oh, FWIW, I bought my first $30,000 car at 22. Priorities.

By using the words "suck it up" to refer to buying a 2013 C300 with 25k handed to him? Not considering buying cars X Y and Z because oh no, someone else in the family has that car already! Boo hoo.

You bought a $30k car at 22? Thats cool, I'm sure your priorities before that point involved buying a proportionally nice house to park a $30k car at, having a year's worth of savings in the bank, maxing out a Roth IRA to the tune of nearly $500 a month to make the max annual contribution, and matching the company 401k dollar for dollar? You also must've had your education paid for. If you did all that by age 22, well then hats off to you. If you didn't, then you think your priorities were in order but they really weren't. What I do know is it would take a hefty income to buy a $30k car comfortably after all of the above is accounted for each month. That $480 a month to the Roth IRA is a substantial chunk of change by itself.

Sorry, it's just that every two weeks there's a thread in here with some kid buying a $40k-$50k car, and they never are quite humble enough about it. It would be one thing to come in here and make a post, but it's another to come in and slam cars in that price bracket like woe is me, pity me and my new Benz my parents paid half for. There seems to be a thread like this every time you turn around in CD. It would be refreshing once in a while to see a fresh grad come in and post about whether to buy a Ford Fiesta or a Toyota Corolla to start out with.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
By using the words "suck it up" to refer to buying a 2013 C300 with 25k handed to him? Not considering buying cars X Y and Z because oh no, someone else in the family has that car already! Boo hoo.

So what? Why does the discussion have to be centered on his fortunate circumstance? Why can't we just talk about the cars?

You bought a $30k car at 22? Thats cool, I'm sure your priorities before that point involved buying a proportionally nice house to park a $30k car at, having a year's worth of savings in the bank, maxing out a Roth IRA to the tune of nearly $500 a month to make the max annual contribution, and matching the company 401k dollar for dollar? You also must've had your education paid for. If you did all that by age 22, well then hats off to you. If you didn't, then you think your priorities were in order but they really weren't. What I do know is it would take a hefty income to buy a $30k car comfortably after all of the above is accounted for each month. That $480 a month to the Roth IRA is a substantial chunk of change by itself.

Actually I was maxing out my IRA, and I rent, no need to buy a house (I also move a lot), and I spent my money investing instead of putting it in an IRA, oh, and yeah my education is paid for.

so.... nice try.

Sorry, it's just that every two weeks there's a thread in here with some kid buying a $40k-$50k car, and they never are quite humble enough about it.

How humble do they have to be?

It would be one thing to come in here and make a post, but it's another to come in and slam cars in that price bracket like woe is me, pity me and my new Benz my parents paid half for. There seems to be a thread like this every time you turn around in CD. It would be refreshing once in a while to see a fresh grad come in and post about whether to buy a Ford Fiesta or a Toyota Corolla to start out with.

That's not what was going on here at all. So I don't know where people are getting that impression.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009

Sorry, it's just that every two weeks there's a thread in here with some kid buying a $40k-$50k car, and they never are quite humble enough about it. It would be one thing to come in here and make a post, but it's another to come in and slam cars in that price bracket like woe is me, pity me and my new Benz my parents paid half for. There seems to be a thread like this every time you turn around in CD. It would be refreshing once in a while to see a fresh grad come in and post about whether to buy a Ford Fiesta or a Toyota Corolla to start out with.

Maybe the "suck it up" was bad wording but regardless, we are all different in where we stand in finances so Im not sure on what right you have to attack me so negatively. I made sure that throughout the thread i avoided any flaunting and if my "suck it up" comment really ticked you off than my apologies.

I asked a simple question about what car to get. No where did i try to say "Hey look at me, i have so much money blah blah blah."

You don't personally know me to question where my priorities are. You are welcome to voice your opinions but please, lets chill out with the shots. Just because your wife would be happy with a 2009 c class does not mean thats the standard of the world. If my parents made enough money to comfortably buy me a car in that price range than I don't see what the issue is. My parents spend money that fit there budget, buying me this one car fits their budget. So before you go out and talk about how americans spends money on good cars when they don't have the money to spend, just stop. Im in a fortunate situation where I can be given a good car for a grad gift and I consider myself blessed. Just because you weren't (assuming from the negative tone you have) given the opportunity at 22 to get a nice car doesn't mean you have to get angry at the people that do have the opportunity.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
It beats me why anybody needs anything more than an auto Toyota Corolla. It is not as if a car 2 to 3 times the price does anything more than than the corolla does.

My apologies to the op for thread crapping.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
It beats me why anybody needs anything more than an auto Toyota Corolla. It is not as if a car 2 to 3 times the price does anything more than than the corolla does.

Well if you have the money, why not buy a nicer car?

You don't want to skimp out on something you spend a lot of time in.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks

Not in the least.

Some see cars as they were originally envisioned, a transportation upgrade from the horse and buggy.

Others see it as a means of displaying their wealth or social status.

And still others think it makes their penis look larger.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well if you have the money, why not buy a nicer car?

The thing is, there are many other things he should be doing at his age. Investing money, creating savings/emergency account, putting to retirement, etc.

Just call Suzzie Orman.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
The thing is, there are many other things he should be doing at his age. Investing money, creating savings/emergency account, putting to retirement, etc.

Just call Suzzie Orman.

He can start investing when he starts working.

And you are only young once, enjoying having a nice car at that age is a luxury.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
You don't personally know me to question where my priorities are. You are welcome to voice your opinions but please, lets chill out with the shots. Just because your wife would be happy with a 2009 c class does not mean thats the standard of the world. If my parents made enough money to comfortably buy me a car in that price range than I don't see what the issue is. My parents spend money that fit there budget, buying me this one car fits their budget. So before you go out and talk about how americans spends money on good cars when they don't have the money to spend, just stop. Im in a fortunate situation where I can be given a good car for a grad gift and I consider myself blessed. Just because you weren't (assuming from the negative tone you have) given the opportunity at 22 to get a nice car doesn't mean you have to get angry at the people that do have the opportunity.

I just graduated and I also just bought myself a car for my graduation. Don't forget that if you buy this $40,000 car your insurance and taxes are going to be crazy expensive and maintenance on these cars costs much more too. The purchase price is just the start of the costs when it comes to buying a new car.

I'm guessing if you just graduated (I might be wrong) that you probably have some student loans. In my opinion, it would seem smarter to invest in a slightly cheaper car (think like $25k) and either use the money to pay off loans or save it for the future. Almost all new cars are extremely nice now, but you can get something REALLY nice and fully loaded for a much more reasonable price than $45,000.

I didn't read the thread word for word, more skimmed it, but I saw at one point someone mentioning AWD. Take a look at the Subaru Legacy. I just bought a two year old one, fully loaded w/ leather, premium sound, sunroof, etc with just 25k miles for over $10,000 less than it was originally sold for 2 years ago. Still have 4 more years of full bumper to bumper warranty and the monthly payments and insurance are both still really affordable. It drives like a dream too, with the symmetrical AWD and sport-shift transmission. I have by far the nicest car of all of my friends who I graduated with, and it's not breaking the bank.

Even if you have the money to afford a more expensive car, it's not always the most sound financial decision. If you look in the right places, you can probably find just as nice of a car, and have way more financial flexibility for whatever else you want to do (apartment/house, traveling, starting a business, buying that new iphone, etc).

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

And you are only young once, enjoying having a nice car at that age is a luxury.

What if he doesn't get a job right away? and what if the job isn't enough to make ends meet? Honestly, I could care less about what the OP does.

I'm only writing what I'd do. I'd rather get a used Mazda 3 and have (at least) an extra $25,000 in my bank account to do stuff such as travel and start my life fairly comfortably.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I would suggest to save your money, buy an inexpensive, reliable and safe car and use the rest of the money for investments.

A VW Golf would be a fine little car for the money:

http://www.vw.com/en/models/golf/trims-specs.html

Okay, it isn't very fast and it is front-drive. It is middle-of-the-road-motoring, but it is nicely finished and well equipped for the money. If I had your money, that's what I'd honestly choose. A BMW 3 series would be nice, but the Golf might be the better bet.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Actually I was maxing out my IRA, and I rent, no need to buy a house (I also move a lot), and I spent my money investing instead of putting it in an IRA, oh, and yeah my education is paid for.

so.... nice try.

No house, renting since you constantly are moving (unstable job?), saying on one hand you max out the Roth but in the same sentence saying you were spending money investing rather than putting it in a Roth, I'll assume the former is a typo for 401K and not the latter since if you actually were maxing out a Roth IRA you'd surely know that a Roth is an investment, and your education is paid for? Sounds like I was more or less spot on.;)

If my parents made enough money to comfortably buy me a car in that price range than I don't see what the issue is. My parents spend money that fit there budget, buying me this one car fits their budget.

You're missing the big issue OP, what it is that your parents are trying to provide for you. They aren't giving you $25k to go out and borrow another $20k to put a star on the hood so you can floss it, they are giving you $25k to get you a pretty nice car (you have a LOT of nice options at $25k) so you can start your professional life off with a brand new, reliable, nice car to get you everywhere you need to go without having the burden of a car payment while you are just starting out. They are trying to set you up very well for life, and it sounds like they've done a nice job thus far. A $25k gift to get a brand new car is a very generous one, and you shouldn't look at it opportunistically and max out and strap yourself to get the blingiest car you can get. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Your parents have the means to set you up very well and allow you to start your career at 22 years old with no student loan debt and no car payment; take advantage of this and build wealth; look at the big picture here. Perhaps I was harsh, and my apologies, but there are too many kids in here with money to burn.

The creation of the thread itself and pointing out the irrelevant information that you are graduating and have been gifted $25k in and of itself was a bit pretentious; this thread easily could've been made omitting those details.

I surely would hope he's working if he plans on finding another $20k to throw at a car on top of the $25k he's been given.

EDIT: OP, the older I get the less I care about the emblem on the hood (again coming from a car guy) and the status. Nobody else will ever care what you drive, and this will be more apparent with each year that passes as you get older. You are paying for the name with a BMW or a Mercedes, not necessarily quality, features, and certainly not reliability. I was out looking at new cars just this evening with my wife and you'd be surprised at the amount of features packed into the cheapest of cars. Believe it or not, a lowly Ford Fiesta (the cheapest subcompact they make) can be had with heated leather seats and push button ignition with a smart key that never needs to come out of the pocket and locks/unlocks the car with proximity. For another example, a new Focus Titanium can be had with heated leather, remote start, moonroof, pushbutton ignition, proximity key, heated side mirrors, dual zone climate control, a 6 speed auto with manual mode, power front seats (both) with lumbar, rain sensing wipers, ambient lighting, puddle lamps, etc. etc. You can even get a handling package with a better suspension and 18" rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 summer tires. It basically has everything you're going to find in a $45k Benz, for $20k less.

Think smart, trust me.

Last edited:

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Surely you realized the flack you're getting isn't from what you asked but rather how you asked it.

Your original post contains a lot what comes off as grandstanding. It screams spoiled rich kid getting handed more cash than a lot of people earn in a year. And what's more, the fact that you included all of that irrelevant background information screams show off.

Take this as a good real-world lesson. Coming just out of college you probably haven't learned that perception is a huge part of life. Up until this point you've been judged, literally, on your work and that alone. Things don't work like that forever. You won't always be a face in a class room and a name on a test. How people perceive you is a huge part of how things in your professional life will go. You'll be dealing with ethical questions where not wrong doing itself but the mere appearance of impropriety could result in major financial and legal backlash.

I'm sorry you feel like people are judging you unfairly, and they very well may be, but you have some responsibility in that, too. Look at the information you chose to give us about yourself, your family, and the quest for your perfect car and then figure out what people who read it are supposed to think.

Again, I stand by my original assertion: BMW over Mercedes all day long.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Surely you realized the flack you're getting isn't from what you asked but rather how you asked it.

Your original post contains a lot what comes off as grandstanding. It screams spoiled rich kid getting handed more cash than a lot of people earn in a year. And what's more, the fact that you included all of that irrelevant background information screams show off.

Take this as a good real-world lesson. Coming just out of college you probably haven't learned that perception is a huge part of life. Up until this point you've been judged, literally, on your work and that alone. Things don't work like that forever. You won't always be a face in a class room and a name on a test. How people perceive you is a huge part of how things in your professional life will go. You'll be dealing with ethical questions where not wrong doing itself but the mere appearance of impropriety could result in major financial and legal backlash.

I'm sorry you feel like people are judging you unfairly, and they very well may be, but you have some responsibility in that, too. Look at the information you chose to give us about yourself, your family, and the quest for your perfect car and then figure out what people who read it are supposed to think.

Again, I stand by my original assertion: BMW over Mercedes all day long.

I'm still trying to figure out what post or comment gives anybody that impression? I read through all his posts, haven't seen anything like that.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still trying to figure out what post or comment gives anybody that impression? I read through all his posts, haven't seen anything like that.

Getting $25k for a car from mom and dad, buying a $45k car just out of college, not buying a particular car because a family member already owns it. Especially the last one, it sounds petty and immature.

These things are extremely out of the norm. Considering the current unemployment rate for new college grads, the average student loan debt, etc the OP is far outpacing his peers by dropping that much cash on a car. That, combined with how he presented it to us is off putting for a lot of people.

If I were the OP i would have said "here are the cars I am looking at, here are my requirements, and here is my budget." There is no need for all that extra fluff. Then comes the question of why he included that information in the first place when it was irrelevant. Why did people need to know he was getting $25k from his parents and/or that it is a college graduation gift? They didn't. But he put it in there anyways. It shouldn't be surprising that some people viewed it in a negative light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.