help with 3gs 3.1.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by leftkidney, Nov 14, 2010.

1. leftkidney macrumors member

so I just got an iphone from my friend who got the new one

its a 3GS running 3.1.2 (7D11) - modem firmware 05.11.07

I want to jailbreak and unlock the phone but dont want to update it because I remember that being a problem when updating to the newest stuff - I want to use it on tmobile

I got a 3G iphone that is 3.1.3 (7E18) - modem firmware 04.26.08 - its jailbroken and unlocked and works on tmobile fine - I just want to have the 3GS because its better

I installed the 4.0 software on another 3G (its not jailbroken, its normal on at&t) and it was slow as hell, I had to actually use itunes to restore it to 3.1.3 or whatever was before 4.0 (I had to hold the shift key down and select the file, itunes wanted to install 4.0)

should I update the iphone 3GS to the latest version and then do the jailbreak or will that ruin the unlocking - what do I do?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To jailbreak the 3GS you can use Spirit then unlock with ultrasn0w as it stands.

If you want to upgrade to 4.1, you would have to use PwnageTool (Mac only). Pwnage preserves the baseband so you'll be able to unlock.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    Stay at 3.1.2 and JB and unlock or create a custom 4.1 with pwnage and then unlock.

4. keypox macrumors member

You can make custom firmware 41. with snowbreeze (windows only).

4.1 is supposed to be horrible on bat life?

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I wouldn't trust in using Snowbreeze.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. longtallsally macrumors newbie

longtallsally

First post so please forgive my noobness, but I'm in the same boat except for it is a 3G. My wife and I moved to Germany from the US and still have our US based phones and got new ones here (btw, don't believe the hype, European coverage is PATHETIC and they don't even have call waiting!).

Anyway, we wanted to JB and unlock her old 3G so we can use it for travel outside of Germany and just get prepaid SIMs to use. I've not saved the SHSH blobs with TU yet, but I assume when I hook it up, I should? It is running iOS 3.1 and I have no interest in updating to 4.x as the phone will barely be used and it will just need basic calling and 'net functionality.

Sorry to threadjack, but I hope this is more or less on target with the OPs questions...

8. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

I guess you could say I am also doing the same thing, I have a 3G that is running 3.1.3 JB and unlocked but I would like to update it to the OS4, but friends who have normal 3G iphones on at&t had problems with slugish performance after updating there 3G phones (3GS people I know had no such problems) as if it were not made for the old hardware (something that apple is notorious for doing) so I put them back to 3.1.3 using some steps I found online

so I have a 3G and a 3GS that I want to update, but the 3G, was that only a problem with the 4.0 is the 4.1 better performance? or should I stick with 3.1.3 on my 3G - then I ask should I just stay at 3.1.3 on the 3GS also if all its going to be used for is tmobile and audible.com books?

I guess I am luck after talking to some friends who know a little about this, getting a 3GS with old software like this on it so I guess I should stick with it

but thats why I am here, I am asking the question to the people who are more into this then me

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Everyone I've talked to says if you've 3.1.3 you should keep it, as it's better than 4.1 which is better than 4.0.

I know 4.2 is better than 4.1, not sure if it's good enough on a 3G to update from 3.1.3.

IIRC, you can't save SHSH blobs for a version Apple isn't signing - but that's what pwnage is about.

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The shsh files on a 3G are saved for 4.0 and higher. For example: If you have 4.0.2 and want to downgrade back to 4.0 you need the shsh. If you have 4.0.2 and want to downgrade back to 3.1.3 you don't need the shsh. But yes, saving them is must if something ever happens to your iPhone.

From 3.1 you can upgrade to 3.1.3 (last 3.x.x update). Then jailbreak with either PwnageTool (custom ipsw), Redsn0w, Spirit, BlackRa1n or Jailbreakme.com (using safari on iPhone).

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

With the 3G, in my opinion, it's better to stay on 3.1.3. Now with the 3GS on 4.0.x and higher runs great. If you do upgrade the 3GS use PwnageTool (if you have a Mac) to create a custom ipsw to preserve your iPhone baseband.

12. longtallsally macrumors newbie

longtallsally

Cool, thanks! I'm sure it's been asked a million times and I was going to feel really guilty starting a thread on it myself, so I'm glad this worked.

13. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

so my 3G will stay at 3.1.3

my 3GS is 3.1.2 and I can only update it to 4.1 using itunes - I assume there is another way to do this, as I have done it for normal iphones that were having problems with 4.0 when it came out

so the only thing that 4.0 has is the folders and multi-tasking - but backgrounder works fine for me so far and there is an app to add folders so do I really want 4.0?

so I should take my 3GS and update it to 3.1.3 and then JB/unlock it - or I remember when I did my 3G I had 3.1.2 on it and after the JB it said 3.1.3 so what?

14. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To update to 4.0 or 4.1 and still be able to unlock you need to use Pwnage to create a custom ipsw to preserve the baseband.

Yeah, pretty much. Only if you have a tremendous amount of apps and want them in folders. On 4.1 Apple added GameCenter, similar to Microsoft's Xbox 360 achievement system.

15. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

yea I am sticking with 3.1.3 with both the 3G and 3GS - seeing as there are all sorta of methods which is the best way to do this and also unlock

this is sorta off topic but will a reset (erase all content and settings) clear everything off the phone without removing the jailbreaking? - sounds stupid but you never know - or if I reset my 3GS to erase everything from it (it has crap from my friend) from resetting before I think I remember it making me plug it into itunes, will it make me update if I do this

also I assume this is the case but I will ask anyways - can I change the screen and case from the 3G to the 3GS? - my 3GS is all scratched up and the 3G is is great shape, can I take them apart and swap the screen and case but leave the main board so it remains a 3GS

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Erase all content means just that, you don't get to pick what gets removed.
    On a jailbroken phone, using that toggle will require a restore.
    If you want your phone "clean", restore and choose set up as new.
    Be careful not to update to an unlockable baseband.

17. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

if I setup as new do I have to use itunes - also I have not updated itunes in a while (but the stupid thing keeps asking me even though I have said to not ask again) can I update it or will there be a problem with an old iphone os and the newer itunes - I have itunes 9.1.1.12 now

so I take the 3GS, can I reset the whole phone and erase everything then plug it into itunes and not have to update it to the latest iphone OS I can keep it as 3.1.2 then jail break it and update to 3.1.3?

18. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

I want to make the 3GS that is 3.1.2 updates to 3.1.3 but still allow me to unlock the phone - can I use the 3.1.3 firmware I have downloaded from apple.com

I have 2 files I have downloaded about 2 months ago ir so when the 4.0 came out and I had to reset my 3G back to 3.1.3 from 4.0 because it had problems - I also downloaded the 3GS version of the same files

they are named

iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

my iphone 3GS is running 3.1.2 (7D11) - modem firmware 05.11.07

so can I open itunes and hold the shift key down as I press the restore button and select the file named "iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw" since the phone is 3.1.2 7D11 - or do I use the one named "iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw" since I want 3.1.3 not 3.1.2

or do nothing of that and get another file to use?

19. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, you have to use iTunes to set up the iPhone as new. It's safe to update your iTunes. Updating won't affect the jailbreak.

20. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

With updating the 3GS it gets a little tricky. When Apple releases a new iOS, they stop signing the previous one. So that means your only choice is to upgrade to 4.1.

BUT

If you have the shsh files saved for 3.1.3 in Cydia then you can upgrade. To do that follow this guide (I'm assuming you have a Windows computer): http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557

The guide says "downgrade" but it works both ways.

21. leftkidney, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

thanks I will give that a look - I wont ever be using ios4 unless 3.1.3 stops working - then cant I just do a restore and it will be at ios4 - isnt the shsh files for upgrading only, if I dont care about settings or anything on the phone does it matter?

also its just a edit of the hosts file? - cant I just block access with my UTM and not have to edit the hosts file?

all I want is my 3GS to have 3.1.3 and work on tmobile - it has 3.1.2 now - look at other posts to see all detailed info about version and stuff

and apple stopping signing, is that something that could be gotten around by using an old version of itunes, it hasent been updated so it should still be good to sign still

and what file do I use? the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 one?

or since the iphone hasent been updated in a while can I just use spirt or whatever its called that I used before to JB my 3G and 2G iphones - and then ultrashow or whatever I used to unlock it that I downloaded from cydia?

22. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you don't have SHSH for 3.1.3 for your 3GS, then you'll be forced to upgrade to whatever Apple is offering. SHSH keeps you from having to upgrade your 3GS.
    You can only get SHSH blobs for whatever Apple is signing; it doesn't matter what iOS version you have. Apple is right now signing for 4.1 and 4.2beta. Those are the only blobs you can get.
    For 3GS and higher phones you need SHSH for everything: downgrading, preserving the baseband, etc. You can't get around the need for SHSH. Your itunes version has nothing to do with your jailbreak--although you need to keep up with the devteam should this change. Since you are concerned about keeping your unlock, you really need SHSH.
    If you haven't started saving your SHSH, d/l Tiny Umbrella asap.

23. leftkidney, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

so you are saying to go from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 I need to have the SHSH for 3.1.2 from my phone

so should I jailbreak using spirit (because its easy, 1 button) and then have Cydia back up the SHSH - then update to 3.1.3 using the SHSH?

sorry for all the questions, but theres 1 thing I know for sure and thats that when doing things like this you need to be 110% sure you are doing the correct thing of you could end up with a useless device

24. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep. You need the shsh files to upgrade/downgrade/restore. If your iPhone was jailbroken before, most likely you saved the shsh files in Cydia by clicking "make my life easier". You can use TinyUmbrella to see if you have the files saved too.

SHSH files are saved when Apple is still signing that firmware. So for example 4.1 (they're still signing and you can save the SHSH). When 4.2 come outs, Apple stops signing 4.1 (shsh saving window closes).

25. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

well thanks for all the help

I now have another iphone that is a 8GB model and I dont know if its a 3G or 3GS - I assume since it dont have a video camera its the 3G not 3GS but its already jailbroken so maybe that isnt there after this

how can I tell from the SN or model number