Help with a file transfer over WiFi to an external hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chris401, Jul 14, 2012.

1. chris401 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

If anyone can help solve this problem, let me know. I have run up against the internal SSD space issues in my Macbook Air (too many photos in my iPhoto library I guess). Startup disk is full and causing problems. So I wanted to transfer my iPhoto library to an external drive, but the problem is that the only hard drive I have with enough capacity is a Seagate GoFlex Home for PC & Mac.

And the only connection I have for that hard drive is an ethernet cable, with no port on the Air.

Can I accomplish the following:

--Connect my old (2006) Macbook to the Go Flex Home using ethernet.
    --"Connect" the Air to the old Macbook via WiFi
    --Transfer the 90GB iPhoto library from Air to Go Flex?

If so, how? I've searched for a few hours to no avail, and have tried playing around with local network, Air Drop, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -Chris

2. chris401 thread starter macrumors newbie

No replies, eh? Well, was worth a try. Thanks to those that thought about it for a bit. Guess I might need to pick up another hard drive, but man are those Time Capsules expensive!

3. ketchup4life06 macrumors member

I haven't had any experience with wifi data transfer, but since the Seagate has a ethernet cable i'm pretty sure you can connect it to your router at home or whatever network you are on. Once it is connected I believe there is a way for your macbook to pick it up and then you will be able to drag and move files into the harddrive via wifi. It will probably take a long time and my directions are probably terrible, but there should be some tutorial somewhere on the internetz. Just google your seagate external! hope this kinda helped!

4. chris401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Ketchup. It did kinda help and I appreciate the thought. Unfortunately, the big problem with this drive has been that I can't keep a consistent connection over the internet, so it times out. I was hoping that a direct connection as an external drive would work, but without an ethernet port, I think I'm out of luck.

5. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I think using AirDrop is your best bet. Definitely simpler than networking the drive.

6. asting macrumors 6502

If you don't want to do a NAS setup, perhaps you should just purchase another connection. it is my understanding the goFlex has a standard connection so you can buy another cable (usb 3.0 for example).

7. checkitout macrumors member

Gigabit Ethernet Adapter may be best bet

Get one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=5345&seq=1&format=2

These work 24/7 for me. Yes you have to install the ASIX AX88178 driver (which by the way works in Lion, too), but then you have a channel out of your older MBA that is halfway decent (at about 20-25 MByte/s real-world speed).

Discard the CD that comes with the adapter, and download the driver at:

http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=84;71;100&PLine=71

Of course, you can also go for Apple's USB Ethernet adapter, the driver for which comes with the OS, but this is about half the speed then. (And for newer MBAs, go for the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter!)

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Google for "USB to Ethernet adapter".

But maybe you should just get 500 GB or 1 TB 2.5" USB drive. Small enough to carry if you have to and reasonably fast and reliable.