Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Hi guys,

Please can you share your specific Mac Pro settings for fusion, I'm running vista ultimate x64, and it is slow as a geriatric tortoise!!!!

I did install via bootcamp, as I was unsure on how to do the "sliding" of ACHI and where I would get all the drivers from, an idiots guide would be appreciated :)

Thanks guys, I have searched around a bit but got nothing specific

my specs quad 2.66 8gb ram, 640 stock for windows, in Bay 1 for now, but moving to optical after SSD\s arrive

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
There is a big difference if you run Vista native via bootcamp or in virtualization. Bootcamp requires the AHCI drivers to be separately installed because :apple: will only supply the inferior legacy drivers.

In a virtual installation Vista will run of the OS X drivers and there will be no speed problem with AHCI then.

There is a thread which explains the AHCI driver installation. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/709582/

It is a bit convoluted. Try to follow the links. If it doesn't work for you, ask and I will help you.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Thank you very much for your assistance, I already have it installed so I will do the regedit as mentioned on insanely mac, then run the patch from terminal, then boot back to windows and install the files, I have a small selection of files, the names are as follows, which one is correct for a 2009 mac pro please,

/i have a 60mb folder called AHCI, with all the different language folders

IATA88ENU.exe

imsm_driver_windows_x86-64_v7.8.0.1012.zip Folder

thanks in advance

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I believe that all the newer versions will work and that all Mac Pros are the same with regard to the AHCI drivers.

I have personally installed the latest 8.8.0.1009 version and it works fine. There is the simple iaahci.inf and the more complex iastor.inf. The second gives you more options to adjust the drivers to your needs. When you have installed it you will see that the driver date is from 2009.

Just be carefull to backup your Windows before you mess with the registry, or you will probably regret it.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I am really stuck now, I can't boot the existing bbotcamp, since my clone, thinks it is a macbook pro, wanting a new boot rom firmware, so I am a little screwed as I don't have any windows machines to do a slipstream on, I have copied all of the drivers to a stick, can I not add the drivers in as I install from the format page during the installation?

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I take it that you have Fusion as your first post says so. All I did was run the fusion install and when it was all done I installed Windows from within Fusion. I have been running it this way for about 6 months with no problems. You might want to uninstall it all and start over...

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I take it that you have Fusion as your first post says so. All I did was run the fusion install and when it was all done I installed Windows from within Fusion. I have been running it this way for about 6 months with no problems. You might want to uninstall it all and start over...

Thanks for your input, will this allow me to boot from the image as well, I need full "bootcamp" access as well for a few games, can do the ACHI driver thing from within fusion as well?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
If you have no way to slipstream the driver into Windows you can simply install Windows with legacy drivers and modify the registry and MBR later.

Edit: I see you have Vista 64-Bit allready installed. Is that installation still running?

I attach the 64-Bit version of the drivers.

Attachments

• 64bit.zip
    237.3 KB · Views: 58

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I have moved over to my air, too many problems on the pro, right now I am preparing to do a fresh install of osx on a 1 tb caviar black, without installing anything else I will then install vista 64 ultimate sp1, using your guide, then I will do the registry thing, and then the johnsock sh,

I will be online here, so I will let you know how i get on

I really appreciate your help on this I'm a bit lost

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I have moved over to my air, too many problems on the pro, right now I am preparing to do a fresh install of osx on a 1 tb caviar black, without installing anything else I will then install vista 64 ultimate sp1, using your guide, then I will do the registry thing, and then the johnsock sh,

I will be online here, so I will let you know how i get on

I really appreciate your help on this I'm a bit lost

I think that is a very sensible approach. I asume you will keep Vista on a different physical drive? It is not absolutely necessary but usually much saver.

So you will do the following steps:

1. Install OS X on HD and update if required
2. Install Vista64 on different HD and update
3. Make Winclone copy of Vista install on OS X drive
4. Edit registry
5. Install AHCI driver (iaahci.inf)
6. Apply johnsock's patch carefully to the right disk by checking disk identity in disk utility
7. Boot into Vista and change the driver to storage manager (iastor.inf)
8. Install SSD RAID0 and clone OS X boot drive to SSD array

Hopefully your SSDs will have the latest firmware and will not require an update.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
X58 chipset needs different AHCI drivers

Intel x58 chipset info

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-029901.htm#d

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8C...e&agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17882&lang=eng

The nehalem x58 chipset needs a different driver compared to the 5000 chipset of the Woodcrest and Clovertown Xeons. You need to use version 9.8 upwards.

Make sure your Leopard Windows drivers also have the chipset utility for this chipset or some drivers will not install.

This is the correct chipset utility

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8C...ip&agr=Y&ProductID=816&DwnldID=16026&lang=eng

Some detail from the Intel Page

Storage Interface/Ports: 6 Serial ATA (3 Gbps/AHCI), eSATA

Storage Technology: Intel® Matrix Storage Technology with ICH10R; (RAID 0, 1, 5, 10) Intel® Rapid Recover Technology, Intel® Turbo Memory

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8C...e&agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17882&lang=eng

The nehalem x58 chipset needs a different driver compared to the 5000 chipset of the Woodcrest and Clovertown Xeons. You need to use version 9.8 upwards. Make sure your Leopard drivers also have the chipset utility for this chipset or some drivers will not install.

This is the correct chipset utility

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8C...ip&agr=Y&ProductID=816&DwnldID=16026&lang=eng

I just gave one last try with this and it doesnt work, it says the computer does not meet the minimum requirements,

Im not sure where I would find the leopard drivers you mentioned?

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Here is a shot of my ATA controller setup in windows, any pointers guys?

Attachments

• ata setup.JPG
    ata setup.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 62

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Apple provide Windows drivers on the Leopard install DVD. After you installed Windows Vista 64 you need to insert the Leopard DVD while you are running Windows and find a file called BootCamp64.msi. You will have to run this installation file by right clicking it and installing as admin.

This installes all the right drivers that Intel and Apple provide minus the AHCI drivers. This is supposed to be done ASAP after Windows installation prior even to updating. Sorry that I forgot to mention it.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
funny thing is the drives, they all say IDE the AAKS is the windows drive, just shown as disk drive, the others just say IDE.

Attachments

• drives.JPG
    drives.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 59

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Apple provide Windows drivers on the Leopard install DVD. After you installed Windows Vista 64 you need to insert the Leopard DVD while you are running Windows and find a file called BootCamp64.msi. You will have to run this installation file by right clicking it and installing as admin.

This installes all the right drivers that Intel and Apple provide minus the AHCI drivers. This is supposed to be done ASAP after Windows installation prior even to updating. Sorry that I forgot to mention it.

BootCamp64.msi is there sorry repairing installation now

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
That is very bad news. I have an adress where someone posted the drivers but it is 400 MB.

Edit: found your edit

For future use

Bootcamp 2.01 Drivers including 64-bit

http://rapidshare.com/files/101338512/Boot_Camp_2.0.1.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/101346449/Boot_Camp_2.0.1.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/101354148/Boot_Camp_2.0.1.part3.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/101329701/Boot_Camp_2.0.1.part4.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/101329850/Boot_Camp_2.0.1.part5.rar

Instructions:

Download all parts and unpack together. This assembles a folder which mirrors the forlder structur on the DVD. You can then run the Bootcamp64.msi file from that folder.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
this is the message I receive when I try and install the latest drivers from Intel, they appear to be older than the ones on the Leopard disk. Secondly I have fixed all of the FDISK, loader delay and screen dumps by using easyBCD to repair the bootloader. Im definitely going to bed now, Im in court in 6 hours. Thanks everyone, will be back on it tomorrow,

Attachments

• outofdate.JPG
    outofdate.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 82

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I believe that the 1009 version is newer than the Apple version from 2007. If Windows misidentifies the older version I would still install the newer one.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I'm glad your Vista is running ok now. Could you post a pic how the device manager looks? I have never seen Vista 64 on a Nehalem and would be interested to see the cores, graphics, SATA and the hard drive. A screenshot with those items would be nice. I believe your Vista is now running with the 9.8 AHCI driver?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I have been reading up on the AHCI installation for 2009 Mac Pros. There are some differences in the Chipset compared to the 2006,2007, 2008 models. The earlier models had a 5000 type chipset which treats all 6 SATA port in one device driver. The 2009 MP has a 5520 chipset which has separate devices for the 4 HD SATA parts and the 2 ODD SATA ports. You may have noticed that in your device manager. So consequently you have to install the AHCI drivers twice. The patching should only be done once though.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I can't even get them to install once, thats the problem, it says that the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, or that the file cannot be installed in that way, when you right click and hit install, I am trying to find the right download for the drivers and the install files, so far none of them work,thanks for having a look though,

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Hi guys,

Please can you share your specific Mac Pro settings for fusion, I'm running vista ultimate x64, and it is slow as a geriatric tortoise!!!!

I did install via bootcamp, as I was unsure on how to do the "sliding" of ACHI and where I would get all the drivers from, an idiots guide would be appreciated :)

Thanks guys, I have searched around a bit but got nothing specific

my specs quad 2.66 8gb ram, 640 stock for windows, in Bay 1 for now, but moving to optical after SSD\s arrive

On a slightly different track I had the same feeling and problems with Vista64 under Fusion (Vista 32 and XP too btw). Yet, I don't under Parallels. Besides the differences with the virtual GFX driver, Parallels (after it settles down) is the same relative speed as bootcamp. Again the GUI is about half speed but loading and execution is about the same under Parallels. Under Fusion (for me anyway) the GUI is about one tenth the speed and execution speed is about one third as fast as bootcamp.

I suppose it could be just the settings somehow but I didn't notice anything immediately that would make me think so. So I assumed it was just the difference between the programs.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I can't even get them to install once, thats the problem, it says that the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, or that the file cannot be installed in that way, when you right click and hit install, I am trying to find the right download for the drivers and the install files, so far none of them work,thanks for having a look though,

Is your device manager still in the state that you showed in posts #13 and #15? It would help if you could post an actual screen shot with the ATA drives detailed. Also if there are still unknown devices that information may be relevant.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Been very busy with work, anyway here are the latest device manager shots, I have now upgraded to win 7, I upgraded from vista 64 internally, by removing bootcamp services and then upgrading, worked flawlessly, I think my situation is identical now to the other post that is going on,

shall I post here or on the other post?

Attachments

• Capturedevice2 8809.JPG
    Capturedevice2 8809.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 100
  • device8809.JPG
    device8809.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 83
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.