[help with broken phone] I think my iPhone days are over

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gallinger, Oct 9, 2007.

1. gallinger macrumors regular

Just tonight, out of no where my iPhone got really hot and said, Repair needed Cannot make or receive calls. My iPhone is unlocked and is on Rogers. Also every time i try to restore with the 1.0.2 it keeps coming up with an error. Im so pissed cuz now im out all this money, Anyone know what i can do? thanks

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Um...bring it back? Isn't it still under warranty? Or does unlocking void that?

3. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Unlocking the sim-lock voids indeed your warranty..

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

First thing first, are you restoring LOCAL or restore from Apple?? Did you press shift+restore (windows) or option+restore (mac)??
    Or did you only click the restore button??

If you only click the restore button that means you restore your unlocked 1.02 phone to the 1.1.1 which means your phone is screwed and bricked...

I think the error "Repair needed, cannot make or receive calls" is similar to
    [​IMG]
    Where he actually fried his baseband....

Story at:
    http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/my-iphones-radio-fried---can-i-have-yours

5. gallinger thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't even touch the 1.1.1 update and yes i did the Alt Restore This blows

6. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Before today I have never heard of an instance where this occured with a normal iPhone. Neither has any other owner of a normal iPhone.

The answer: Your SIM unlocking has caused the problem. Surprise. Surprise.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Sorry to hear that, but thats a risk you take when hacking your phone.

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

And how large is your sampling...?

I think posters need to stop drawing conclusions by assuming the unlock broke the phone. I can safely say I've seen no other instances of this mentioned online anywhere, locked OR unlocked.

The real problem here is the unlock voided the warranty, which means he's stuck with a broken phone. This may very well have happened to the phone if he was using it locked all this time.

9. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

That may be true....but at least there would be recourse to Apple.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

I wish people would just stop making these kinds of comments. The people that have problems come for solutions, not judgement or 'we told you so' comments. Everybody is already aware that the warranty is void if you hack or unlock, but people still have problems (and I'm pretty most have NOTHING to do with the unlock/hack so that's NOT the CAUSE of the issues) that may be able to be solved here. Let's try to help instead, no?

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The mental flow chart that leads you to (rather outspokenly) declare that this problem is unrelated to unlocks/hacks would be interesting to read about.

Of course if you'd rather castigate than educate...

12. PDE macrumors 68020

I cannot determine whether this particular case is a result of unlocking/third party hacks. Nobody can without in-depth knowledge of this phone and programming. However, there are many people reporting issues with the locked and untouched phones - battery issues, overheating, screen issues, calling issues, speaker issues and so on and so forth. People with unlocked/modified phones don't seem to have any more problems than anybody else, which to me indicates that there is a possibility that the problems are not necessarily linked to what they have done to their phones. I am perfectly aware that we don't have the facts, but given that problems exist across the board, there is also no reason to suggest that it's the unlocking/hacks that are causing the problems. At least not at this point.

But that was not the point of my post. My point was that every time somebody has a problem with a phone that is unlocked or modified, there are always people who go on about how they shouldn't have hacked their phone and that, since they did, it's their own fault. Why is this necessary and how does it help? If you can't help with the problem, why is it necessary to make the situation even more frustrating for the owner of the problematic iphone?

I'm not castigating. On the contrary, I'm suggesting that people stop doing that as soon as somebody has a problem with their unlocked iphone.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Those two statements appear to be in conflict with each other.

I would suggest that most people's operational knowledge of troubleshooting an iPhone is a) reset, b) restore c) take to genius bar.

If someone is going to say they messed with their phone in a way that (a) doesn't work, (b) doesn't work, and (c) is not an option, what exactly should the response be?

14. PDE macrumors 68020

You're probably right about people's knowledge here, but maybe somebody knows more, especially those who have working knowledge of the iphone OS. Telling people who come to ask for help that they shouldn't have unlocked/added software in the first place is hardly a constructive response, except perhaps for the poster whose self-righteousness is boosted further.

Clarification:

1. I am not a programmer, nor do I have knowledge of the underpinnings of all the unlock methods and third party applications. I do have knowledge and experience of OS X, however.

2. My assessments that unlocks and third party software is not the reason for problems people are having is based on an overall evaluation of user issues on this forum and others. this sampling includes both unlocked and locked phones.

3. The fact that people are reporting similar problems when using both unlocked and locked phones and that, based on what we have seen online, there is no indication that people with unlocked phones are having more problems than those with locked phones (I'm not talking about those who have bricked their phones by upgrading firmware), indicates that there is no evidence of a direct link between unlocking and the issues people are reporting. There is of course no way to be positive that this is not just coincidence without a more systematic study. But that's not going to happen.

4. There is no proof whatsoever that unlocking or adding third party software in itself has caused phones to malfunction. None. This is OS X: when was the last time adding software caused the hardware to malfunction? Firmware may do that, but remember that the unlock used by the iphone dev team only modifies the parts that directly limit which sim you can use - I am of course assuming that they are not lying about that.

If you want to argue about whether unlocks and third party apps are causing issues on iphones, perhaps you should start a new thread? My post was about how people are judgemental about those of us who have made our iphones more useful by unlocking them and adding needed functionality.

15. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

If you bought it at an Apple store, just take it back, next time you're in the US.

16. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

What's there to help? It looks like he voided his warranty by unlocking his phone, and there's more or less no recourse unless he gets lucky.

But since I'm a pragmatist, I don't bank on luck nor do I encourage anyone else to.

So there you are.

17. eddiebrock macrumors member

I have yet to see a post regarding unlocking from the individual you replied to that doesn't in some way bash the person unlocking or subtly alludes that unlocking is wrong. Perhaps he/she should create a new thread and just let it all out in one big rant.

As for the thread starter, I wish there was something I could suggest but the only thing I can say is try going to Apple and the chances are good that perhaps they will fix it, since that message has nothing to do with unlocking and your phone did get warm, you should be in good shape--in my humble opinion it is a hardware issue after all and not a software issue.

Although then you'll probably have to re-unlock or worse, wait if they give you a replacement with 1.1.1 on it.

One question -- did you leave it in a charger for a long time and just let it sit there? I have found, unfortunately, that once IPhones are fully charged, if you leave them in the charged state it begins to turn warm. Perhaps this is a serious hardware issue that caused your iPhone to get messed up.

18. eddiebrock macrumors member

Actually here's proof that this has nothing to do with unlocking, a post made on the Apple boards on July 5, well before any unlocks were out:

I hope you didn't have a magnetic flap case. But even so you should be able to get it replaced.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1018081

19. eddiebrock macrumors member

Here's more proof that this was probably caused by your phone probably interacting with magnetic objects:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=326538

This post/request for help was made about 8 days after the iPhone launch, well before any unlocks.

So again you should be OK, just go in and try to get it replaced.

And again, to those of you who love to jump in and say "it's because he unlocked his phone," I hope you consider just staying out of the thread next time when like PDE said, all you want to do is just seem self-righteous.

20. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Sadly, at this point, it doesn't matter to Apple how the phone was broken, the fact that it's unlocked will probably lead to them refusing to service/replace it.

21. kyrow123 macrumors member

kyrow123

Actually, the Apple store near me was returning bricked iPhones for those who decided to upgrade to Firmware 1.1.1. The service people at the Apple store were told not to do this, and were actually sent software to detect if a phone was unlocked, but since many of them had iPhones and have hacked theirs, they took mine into the back and brought me out a new one.

I would say your best bet is to go to Apple and pray for forgiveness and see if they take it back (you may just get lucky ;)).

22. eddiebrock macrumors member

At this point, what does he have to lose? He might as well since this is clearly a hardware issue that apparently gets detected by the software somehow and shuts down the O/S--or the call feature at least.

23. DJS1234 macrumors regular

They'll never know it's unlocked unless you tell them - they can't see anything but an error message let alone a home screen - just keep schtum.

Get it to an Apple store and say you were happily AT&T'ing away when suddenly.....

good luck, let us know how you get on!

24. Lartymarf macrumors regular

That was my first reaction.